Funeral Songs

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My dad, unfortunately, may only have a few months to live. He is currently under hospice care at my parents' residence.

He or my mom never did any funeral preplanning, so I am the one who will be making the arrangements.

I am planning on playing a few melancholy songs during which his mourners can remember my dad in their own way.

So far, I have come up with "Man of the Hour" and "long road" by PJ.

Also, "I shall be released" by The Band, and "Keep me in your heart" by Warren Zevon are possibilities.

Planning a parent's funeral is obviously a very morbid task.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AP261236AP261236 Posts: 30
    Definitely "Release".
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    or maybe ask your dad what are some songs that mean something to him, or go through his album collection???
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited May 2011
    When my nephew passed we found out that my Dad wanted the instrumental Eric Clapton's Theme from a Movie That Never Happened for his own funeral and we also used it for my nephew's funeral.

My Dad had never mentioned it so it was strange to find out he knew what he wanted at his funeral and had never let us know until then.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Flume - Bon Iver
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQrLsTUcN0

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Johnny Cash (this is both haunting and beautiful)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSIlVZhsDw

Roads - Portishead (this still makes me almost cry... i dunno why)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYsGWh_vpE

Father & Son - Cat Stevens (perhaps a bit cliched... but the sentiment is there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jek6iP6AuAQ

Asleep - Smiths
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGIii_eTOk

sorry to hear about your news.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    My dad, unfortunately, may only have a few months to live. He is currently under hospice care at my parents' residence.

He or my mom never did any funeral preplanning, so I am the one who will be making the arrangements.

I am planning on playing a few melancholy songs during which his mourners can remember my dad in their own way.

Also, "I shall be released" by The Band, and "Keep me in your heart" by Warren Zevon are possibilities.

Hey Joe, i am sorry to hear about your dad. i also had to bury both parents and the one tip i will give concerning music is pick something that had a connection to your dad and you mom and their lives. those are great songs but might not have any connection to the person. Ask your dad what he wants. I can tell you that at my mom funeral, we picked their wedding song which might not be "normal" but it seemed to fit the occasion in some strange way.

Again i am so sorry to hear about your dad and my thoughts to go you and your family.
  • I know you said melancholy, but I think a good funeral song is "Do You Realize?" by The Flaming Lips. A bit non-traditional but I think the spirit of the song is refreshing given the obvious vibe of a funeral.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the end
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton.

I feel so bad for what you are going through.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I know you said melancholy, but I think a good funeral song is "Do You Realize?" by The Flaming Lips. A bit non-traditional but I think the spirit of the song is refreshing given the obvious vibe of a funeral.

I thought of that song.....we almost used it as our wedding processional song!
    fife wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Hey Joe, i am sorry to hear about your dad. i also had to bury both parents and the one tip i will give
    concerning music is pick something that had a connection to your dad and you mom and their lives. those are great songs but might not have any connection to the person. Ask your dad what he wants. I can tell you that at my mom funeral, we picked their wedding song which might not be "normal" but it seemed to fit the
    occasion in some strange way.

Again i am so sorry to hear about your dad and my thoughts to go you and your family.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You raise a very good point.....I need to ask my mom what songs will mean something to her and my dad.
  • This is something I think about a lot. Whether it be my own funeral or the funeral of a loved one.

I think "First Breath After Coma" by Explosions In The Sky is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, especially live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o8JCxjjpM

I've always imagined that the music basically portrays how life goes.....

start - 2:26 - beginning stages
    2:27 - 3:17 - when things get really good
    3:18 - 4:24 - Death, which I like to imagine as a first breath after coma, not to suggest that life is boring or dull or lifeless, but to suggest that I really hope, as unreligious as I am, that what comes next is even better.

In terms of the song itself, I love all 9:34 minutes, but for my funeral, I would want it to end at 4:24.

Sorry to hear of what you're going through with your dad. I hope the remaining months are comfortable and peaceful for him, you and your family.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Hey there Joe. I know this has been a long road for you and your Pops. I can't imagine what you are going through, but what I can tell from your posts is how much you love both of your parents and what a great son you are. Many warm thoughts to you. I'm sure whatever songs you pick will be perfect. They are coming from you and how you feel about your dad. That being said, I Shall Be Released is a really good pick. Hang in there friend.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    Firstly Joe, my thoughts go out to you. It's hard to loose a parent. I played Neil Young's "My Heart" at my Mom's memorial service two years ago and it really felt right. Others there thought so too. Just an idea. Hang in there,
    Best wishes,
    Brian
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    The Cure's Untitled
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    So sorry to hear of your news...my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I like pearl jam-the end.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    So sorry to hear your news.

This is a lovely song, I know it's meant to be romantic but I think it can be applicable to anyone special;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv36_QAVLsQ

Always makes me well up;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

Hope these help.
  • PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    so sorry to hear this, i wish you the best and sending my strength and love.
    i'd pick something that has a special connection to your dad, that means something to your family.
    i'm sure whatever you pick will end up being the best, the most perfect choice.
    again, sorry to hear.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Daddy Learned To Fly - Drive-By Truckers

"They tell me that in time everything will be okay
    Life goes back to normal
    Like before you flew away
    They tell me you can see me
    So I'm trying not to cry
    But sometimes I can't help it since Daddy learned to fly"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    So sorry to hear about this Joe.

As others have stated, you should probably ask your mom and dad, or an aunt or uncle, friends, whoever, about it. You have to remember this is about him. The songs should reflect his life, celebrate it and mourn his passing. While it would seem natural to pick songs that are basically a soundtrack to your grief and what you're feeling, it is not (and I DO NOT mean this in a rude way) about you. If he is not a Pearl Jam fan, then I wouldn't recommend Long Road or Man Of The Hour, as fitting as they may be. It is, as they say, his last party. Play some tunes he would want. Then after the funeral you can pull up those songs on your iPod and remember him in your own way.

Regardless of what you decide, I wish you and your family the best.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    ara batur by sigur ros...to me it's what you hear when you ascend to the afterlife
    Thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

I am thinking that it would be a bit selfish of me to play songs of my choice, especially since my dad would never had heard ANY of them before (He is 84!)

He used to sing "Lady of Spain" when he drove, so I may ask my mom about that song!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

It is lasting loving task.. death just apart of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbkz_3lO3c this one is beautiful

I'm sorry Joe you must bear this
    its hard to believe now but it will be some of your most cherished memories.
    Much love and strength to you.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I am thinking that it would be a bit selfish of me to play songs of my choice, especially since my dad would never had heard ANY of them before (He is 84!)

He used to sing "Lady of Spain" when he drove, so I may ask my mom about that song!

Hey Joe, i don't think it selfish of you at all. i also picked songs that i love but had a connect with my mom and dad. for example, my mom and me used to clean the house together when she was alive and sometimes she would play songs in Portuguese and sometime si would play songs that i liked. some were pearl jam which she hated. the key is pick songs that had a connect.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolOF1fTdkM

The Beatles - The End

orrrrrrr

The Beatles - In My Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wvUwb4p4Q

There are places I remember
    All my life, though some have changed
    Some forever not for better
    Some have gone and some remain
    All these places had their moments
    With lovers and friends
    I still can recall
    Some are dead and some are living
    In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
    there is no one compares with you
    And these memories lose their meaning
    When I think of love as something new
    Though I know I'll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I'll often stop and think about them
    In my life I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I'll often stop and think about them
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Joe, I am very sorry for what you are going through.

I think asking your mom about some of your dad's favorite songs is a great idea. See how she feels about what music you use.

I lost my dad in 2007 at the age of 79. My mother selected the music for his funeral and it was all religious. I had no objections to what she chose since it was all meaningful to her and would have been to my dad too. But his favorite song was "Last Date" by Floyd Cramer and I wish we'd found a way to play that one. Not only would I have associated it with my dad, I think it also has the right mix of nostalgia/sense of parting for a memorial:

http://youtu.be/JvfG9uFswis
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I am so sorry for what you are going through Joe. I agree with what others said, picking something that means a lot to your dad and mom would be a very nice way to go.

Big hugs to you and your family
    I am so sorry for what you are going through Joe. I agree with what others said, picking something that means a lot to your dad and mom would be a very nice way to go.

Big hugs to you and your family

Thanks!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    Band Of Horses- The Funeral
    Pearl Jam- Just Breathe (usually gets me)
    Mumford & Sons- Timshel
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA