Portland, OR Suggestsions

Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Traveling there in June and to Seattle as well. Staying at the Kennedy School. Can people give me suggestions out there. Interests: Beer (duh, in this town, where are your fave places?), Record Stores, Pinball, BBQ. I'll take any Seattle recommendations as well. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was there once for a week for work. i can't remember any place we ate. :lol: seems like there was a place downtown that was good.

it was a nice clean town with like zero potholes.

although i don't recall specifics, it was one of my more enjoyable towns visited.

glad i couldn't hlep
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Traveling there in June and to Seattle as well. Staying at the Kennedy School. Can people give me suggestions out there. Interests: Beer (duh, in this town, where are your fave places?), Record Stores, Pinball, BBQ. I'll take any Seattle recommendations as well. Thanks.

Love Portland. The Widmer brewery is definitely a must. Get the Reuben with a Hefeweisen (sp?)....you will not be sorry
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845

As for Seattle...the Pyramid Brewery right across from Safeco is also a must. The Apricot Ale is my fave beer ever...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Bump please, anymore help out there?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

Love Portland. The Widmer brewery is definitely a must. Get the Reuben with a Hefeweisen (sp?)....you will not be sorry
    Best beer ever!
    #FHP
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i didn't get a chance to do it, but rumor has it, driving up to the mountains is cool, as is a quick trip to the ocean. Both are short drives from downtown Portland.

if you are flying in to portland, coming around mt hood (????) is a pretty neat.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,955
    If you're in to bikes, you'll be in the midst of pedalpalooza, which has many events each day:

http://www.shift2bikes.org/cal/viewpp2011.php

Borrowing or renting a bike is a great way to see the town. I like walking around the different neighborhoods just to stumble across different things. There's great brewpubs all over, but particularly in the Pearl (fancy) and SE Portland from the river to about 35th (hippie). Widmer is a big operation. Here's a great beer blog:

http://beervana.blogspot.com/

Click on the "visitors guide" down the right side of the page. There's too many options to pick just one favorite. The Horsebrass in SE has a lot of taps and history, but they don't make their own.

The Gorge and the coast are very beautiful. The gorge is closer at an hour away with good hiking and waterfalls.

I've eaten at Clays' BBQ in SE. It was good.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    The Alberta district is close to the Kennedy School, good restaurants and some bars. If you're there on the last Thursday of the month there is a big party. I would eat at the spots on Alberta vs. eating food at the Kennedy school. Best spots are The Tin Shed, Helser's, La Bonita, Pine St. Biscuits and Bernie's Southern Bisto. Also Beast restaurant is near there and is one the best Restaurants in the country, make reservations now if that's your thing.

Best things to do would be to hit Saturday/Sunday Market on the waterfront and roam around downtown if it's nice. The Rose Festival happens for most of June and there's lost of stuff to do.

BBQ spots, hit Leroy's Familiar Vittles, it's a food cart, or Russel Street BBQ for more of the restaurant style.

Record stores hit up Jackpot records or Music Millennium.

There's always a drive to Mt. Hood or the coast, both barely over an hour away. PM for more Q's

Have fun!
    NERDS!
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Mahaloev wrote:

You're the winner for best place for me so far, thanks! And thank you to all for your suggestions.
    The Alberta district is close to the Kennedy School, good restaurants and some bars. If you're there on the last Thursday of the month there is a big party. I would eat at the spots on Alberta vs. eating food at the Kennedy school. Best spots are The Tin Shed, Helser's, La Bonita, Pine St. Biscuits and Bernie's Southern Bisto. Also Beast restaurant is near there and is one the best Restaurants in the country, make reservations now if that's your thing.

Best things to do would be to hit Saturday/Sunday Market on the waterfront and roam around downtown if it's nice. The Rose Festival happens for most of June and there's lost of stuff to do.

BBQ spots, hit Leroy's Familiar Vittles, it's a food cart, or Russel Street BBQ for more of the restaurant style.

Record stores hit up Jackpot records or Music Millennium.

There's always a drive to Mt. Hood or the coast, both barely over an hour away. PM for more Q's

Have fun!

I forgot about the food carts, lots of good ones. You can also quickly blow a few hours at Powell's bookstore on Burnside (it's hugely awesome). I always like going to Music Millennium.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,346
    Check out Clear Creek distillery for some amazing spirits. But try not to drive there!

I concur with the food carts. DeSchutes brewery is good too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Check out Clear Creek distillery for some amazing spirits. But try not to drive there!

I concur with the food carts. DeSchutes brewery is good too.

Food cart link:

http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

Correction: Deschutes is great!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,346
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Correction: Deschutes is great!

Sorry! Yeah, it's awesome.

Henry's 12th St Tavern (did I get the name right?) is great too.

The Hotel Deluxe was a great place to stay, and had a happy hour at 3:00 (!) with $5 champagne cocktails!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    We stayed in Portland near the Convention Center, luckily there was a Beerfest going on. Their train is awesome...blows Seattle public transportation out of the water. Literally parked the car and didn't use it all weekend. The train took us downtown and we poked around there for a while, went to the zoo.
    Saturday market was cool too.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • CoastHerCoastHer Posts: 20
    Portland is awesome.. Love the NE area. Star e Rose coffee shop on Alberta was my spot. There's also some yummy yummy places there from what I remember. (Haven't lived there in about 6 years). If you're into burlesque then there's always Mary's in the downtown section. Saturday market was fun too. Enjoy.. you're sure to find a bunch of great stuff through out your stay!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    im going here next month for business...someone told me about a closed down school that's been converted into a bar and each area has a theme..sounds pretty cool.
    davidtrios wrote:
    im going here next month for business...someone told me about a closed down school that's been converted into a bar and each area has a theme..sounds pretty cool.

Maybe they're talking about McMenamins Kennedy School:
    http://www.mcmenamins.com/KennedySchool

They have a bunch of places around Oregon and some in Washington, several of which they convert into hotels with different quirky features. There beer can be hit or miss, but I always have fun going to one of them.

Portland's a great city. Try to make some time to walk around the different neighborhoods just to see what you find.