Fatherhood...

RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So we had a kid like 3 months ago, and starting next week I'm gonna be mr. mom for the summer. I never thought it'd be this freaking awesome. What's it like when they can do shit besides cry for food, poop, or sleep?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    It's been 3 years and pretty much the same thing except now she demands everything and talks back. Gotta love it!
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    sonofbitch
  • mcgavinjmcgavinj Posts: 311
    It's a freaking blast! My little boy(named Stone) is 18 months now. He's talking, running around, getting into trouble and making messes. I never thought it'd be so great either. Actually....had a pretty rocky marriage for a while when I was still figuring out if I was ready or ever wanted to have kids while the wife was gonna kill me if I didn't. I'm very jealous about you being Mr. Mom for a summer. I get to be occasionally during the work week, but my wife and I both work full time jobs and unfortunately have to rely on grandparents to watch him during the days. Thank heavens no day care though. Anyway, have fun with it! Time flies and you'll wonder what happened to that little package you brought home from the hospital when the little one is tearing it up all over the place.
    Ha...sorry such a long post!
    Josh
    I do agree with JM, it is great. When they are mobile it's a whole lot easier most days. Teaching them new things is the best part about it too. And time does fly, it still seems like yesterday when we brought her home and it's been almost 3 years!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I can't see myself as a father.
    I don't think I want kids.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    things go well I will hitting this thread for advice in 5 months or so.

can't wait

all I want is a healthy baby, but this will be the first time in my life I will be hoping to see a penis :D
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    It will be much better than now...your baby will be really starting to interact with you. You are going to love it. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    The Fixer wrote:

can't wait

all I want is a healthy baby, but this will be the first time in my life I will be hoping to see a penis :D

I can't remember where I heard this, thought it was funny, "I don't care if it's a boy or girl, just as long as it has a penis."

And I always thought I'd have a little girl first or only a girl. And I'm fine with that.

I think the biggest mistake I've made is I'm too quiet, I rarely talk and it shows with her too because she rarely talks but she is really smart and knows how things work.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

can't wait

I can't remember where I heard this, thought it was funny, "I don't care if it's a boy or girl, just as long as it has a penis."

That is great. I'm definitely gonna get some mileage out of that line.
    haha...the little one did have a penis. he's a double-first grandchild and i gotta fight against him being a spoiled brat...but i want him to be loved too. can't wait till he starts to do stuff.
    I'm also kind of scared that our next one might be two.

I have twin brothers, my wife has twin brothers, one of her twin brothers' wife had twins.
    thought i wanted twins...not a good wish. one is just enough.
  • The Fixer wrote:

can't wait

So tell me, how difficult was it for you to impregnate your wife with a vagina?
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    RW81233 wrote:
    So we had a kid like 3 months ago, and starting next week I'm gonna be mr. mom for the summer. I never thought it'd be this freaking awesome. What's it like when they can do shit besides cry for food, poop, or sleep?

Man, congratulations! Did you ever see the movie "Mr.Mom" with Michael Keaton??

We're thinking of kids too. I finally think i'm ready since I have mastered crying for food, pooping, and sleeping myself. :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    RW81233 wrote:

Man, congratulations! Did you ever see the movie "Mr.Mom" with Michael Keaton??

We're thinking of kids too. I finally think i'm ready since I have mastered crying for food, pooping, and sleeping myself. :D

:lol::lol::lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    VoidOfMan wrote:

I have twin brothers, my wife has twin brothers, one of her twin brothers' wife had twins.
    twin gene is carried by the mother ... the egg must split(identical twins) or she must ovulate 2 eggs(fraternal)
    the sperm just takes care of business ;)

fertility drugs of course cause multiple fetus'
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    7 1/2 months in and Johnny III is more fun than ever. For all the warnings and bad stories you hear, it's so nervewracking. Turns out to be the most awesome thing ever!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    7 1/2 months in and Johnny III is more fun than ever. For all the warnings and bad stories you hear, it's so nervewracking. Turns out to be the most awesome thing ever!

THIS^^^ :thumbup:
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    We have a three year old and a four month old... with our 4 month old, it's a lot like starting over, but being much more laid back about it, because you know what to expect.

With our three year old, I kept thinking that every stage he went through was the best thing every, and it just keeps getting better. Now he's a bit harder to contain at times, and has an attitude sometimes, but just taking a walk with him and having full conversations is an amazing thing too me... I liked the baby stages, but I like it so much more that he is a little person with thoughts and opinions now.

Being Mr Mom would have been great, but when our first was little, my wife spent all day with him (she took him to work). Enjoy the time... being so close to him now will pay off down the road for both of you.

I got into the routine of being the one to put him to bed and the one to get him ready in the morning. Now, it's like that with both our kids... My wife gets to spend more time with them in the early ages, but for some reason I really love the fact that I am the first one they see in the morning and the last one they see at night. And seeing how much happiness and energy they start the day out with does wonders for me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    My boys are 16, almost 15, and 10 (see them with me in my avatar pic). There are no instructions, you will feel like you are a complete failure, totally clueless, like it's way too much responsibility raising them correctly. But you will have more fun than you can imagine, you will love them more than anything, they will always surprise you and they will make you very proud. You don't want them to grow older than they are right now, but you can't wait to see what they will be like in the future. They will make you cry, make you laugh, make you angry, make you proud. You will see the world differently through the wonder of their eyes and their imagination. They are not just life-changing, they are my life and they have made me who I am.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    My boys are 16, almost 15, and 10 (see them with me in my avatar pic). There are no instructions, you will feel like you are a complete failure, totally clueless, like it's way too much responsibility raising them correctly. But you will have more fun than you can imagine, you will love them more than anything, they will always surprise you and they will make you very proud. You don't want them to grow older than they are right now, but you can't wait to see what they will be like in the future. They will make you cry, make you laugh, make you angry, make you proud. You will see the world differently through the wonder of their eyes and their imagination. They are not just life-changing, they are my life and they have made me who I am.

Wow. That was awesome. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    edited May 2011
    I have a daughter who will be 1 year old in a few weeks. This has been by FAR the most amazing experience of my life, and every day it gets better. Seeing her personality develop and watching her figure out the world is just awesome in every possible way. Every day at work I miss her and I try to squeeze the most out of our time together in the morning and at night. I pick her up at day care usually before 4:00 and she goes to bed at 7:30, and I try not to waste any of the time in the middle. And weekends even more so.

Enjoy it. 3 months is a fun age, but just wait until all these new skills come out. You won't believe how fast they change, and change, and change again.

sadie-smaller.jpeg
    I mean c'mon...
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Wow. That was awesome. :D

yeah, I don't know where that came from, just sort of spilled out, but thanks
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I'm not a father, but I am a mum.

I'm sure you'll love it! My son is 14 now and the time has gone so fast, enjoy and make the most of every single minute - it's fantastic being a parent. :D
  • VoidOfMan wrote:

I have Twin Boys that are 10 and a girl thats 6. Twins are Great. The only trouble I have now is that I only get 2 tix for PJ shows and they are beggin me to take them. Was hoping to take them one each night if I had seats now I dont know what im going to do. They have been listenin gto PJ from b4 birth. Other note on Twins. If you have them first you dont know any different then when you have one in your mind it's only half the work. Enjoy them!! Take them with you when ever you can. Show them the world. We have a saying in our house "The more you listen the more you can do" It's worked very well for us.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense!!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Try not to wish him to the next stages and enjoy where he is right now, they grow so fast. My daughter is 6 and son is 3. I sometimes wish I could go back to when they were 3 months, when they would just lie there and smile at me, before they could move and talk!! :lol: My husband is Mr Mum on Wednesdays and loves his time with our son, my son calls it Daddy day. Being a parent is the coolest job ever, but also the hardest thing you'll ever do - and I haven't even hit the teenage years yet :?
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    Wow cool stories...I've had practice being the oldest of 8 but it's so different when it's your own.
    I think one of the funniest things she does now is when we try to feed her something she doesn't like, she says, "I can't want it."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I can't see myself as a father.
    I don't think I want kids.
    :thumbup:
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Try not to wish him to the next stages and enjoy where he is right now, they grow so fast. My daughter is 6 and son is 3. I sometimes wish I could go back to when they were 3 months, when they would just lie there and smile at me, before they could move and talk!! :lol: My husband is Mr Mum on Wednesdays and loves his time with our son, my son calls it Daddy day. Being a parent is the coolest job ever, but also the hardest thing you'll ever do - and I haven't even hit the teenage years yet :?
    This...so true! Hardest and yet most wonderful part of life! We have 4 (ages 5-12) and I think the first few months, when they can't do anything, are pretty easy. I long for the days when the only chore they left me was laundry, and we could go a week without having to leave the house. The good old days when the yard and sandbox were enough. Be sure to appreciate every stage they go through. You can't hit the rewind button to see it again.