Apartment Hunting..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to move when my lease is up in 4 1/2 months on October 1st.

This will be my 4th move in four years. I can't seem to stay in one place, but I've had good reasons for moving each time.

The difference now is, I'm pretty sure I'm going to move months before my lease is up, when previously I decided a month or two before, after the landlord requested me to sign another lease.

My question is, how soon is too soon to start looking for apartments? Would anyone be even willing to take a security deposit if I found my dream apartment 3 or 4 months in advance?

I'd rather start looking now than be in a hurry a month before my lease is up, especially when looking in an area I'm not too familiar with. I'm not sure if it is considered acceptable or if I'd be wasting my time by starting to look 3 or 4 months in advance. Would anyone really be desperate enough to take a security deposit on something 4 months ahead of time?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    You never know if a landlord is willing to work with you. I say search, not too aggressively, and if something comes up that you are gung-ho on, talk to the landlord, tell him/her your situation and maybe you can work something out.

We foudn our current place like 3 months before we were set to move and we did just this and all he asked is to have the deposit then, and first months rent on the day of the move in.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    edited May 2011
    In our case our landlord wasn't desperate, I think he could afford to have it open for an extra month or two. THe most difficult part was making him comfortable with us and letting him realize we were sincere and legitimate.

PS. Good luck, apartment hunting sucks... I hate it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited May 2011
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You never know if a landlord is willing to work with you. I say search, not too aggressively, and if something comes up that you are gung-ho on, talk to the landlord, tell him/her your situation and maybe you can work something out.

We foudn our current place like 3 months before we were set to move and we did just this and all he asked is to have the deposit then, and first months rent on the day of the move in.
    Makes sense. If I found a place I really liked, I guess it wouldn't hurt to explain the situation. I'm sure they'd be excited that I'm interested, but tell me to check back later if they aren't willing to commit that early. If the apartments been sitting for 6 months, they may be more willing. Especially in this economy, I'm sure there's plenty of longly vacated apartments.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Gob wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Makes sense. If I found a place I really liked, I guess it wouldn't hurt to explain the situation. I'm sure they'd be excited that I'm interested, but tell me to check back later if they aren't willing to commit that early. If the apartments been sitting for 6 months, they may be more willing.
    Exactly, and if they aren't cool with it, all they'll say is "Sorry, I can't wait that long."

It's painful to find the PERFECT place (that you can afford) and it's too early to make a move on it. Hope everything works out the way you want it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Have you thought of renting one of the smaller homes
    that have been bought up by landlords and realty companies
    after the bottom dropped out?

Both my kids went into houses with big backyards and no other tenant troubles for the same cost as apartments
    they were renting and in nicer areas. Areas with families. And they allow pets! My daughter has 3 dogs
    with a fenced in yard.

Sometimes a realty company will help you find one and waiting an extra month or two is ok by them
    or the new landlords of this century that own a ton of homes and are in a position to wait for a good reliable tenant cause they bought said homes at auction.

You get a lot more for your money and privacy is priceless.
    pandora wrote:

Both my kids went into houses with big backyards and no other tenant troubles for the same cost as apartments
    they were renting and in nicer areas. Areas with families. And they allow pets! My daughter has 3 dogs
    with a fenced in yard.

Sometimes a realty company will help you find one and waiting an extra month or two is ok by them
    or the new landlords of this century that own a ton of homes and are in a position to wait for a good reliable tenant cause they bought said homes at auction.

Nah. Too much work.. I just want a one bedroom. Nothing too big. 600 to 800 square feet would be enough.
    pandora wrote:

with a fenced in yard.

This is an avenue I wish I would've taken. Where have you been all my life Pandora?! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    pandora wrote:

with a fenced in yard.

This is an avenue I wish I would've taken. Where have you been all my life Pandora?! :lol:
    listening to PJ ;):lol:
    Gob wrote:
    pandora wrote:

with a fenced in yard.

Nah. Too much work.. I just want a one bedroom. Nothing too big. 600 to 800 square feet would be enough.
    My son is like that but he got a three bedroom for the price of the apartment and just closed off the rooms.
    What he likes is the big front porch and backyard.
    And truly no ones loud music waking him on work nights
    when he has to be up at 6 am.
    It seemed tenants were coming and going so much with some kind of trouble going on.
    He does cut the lawn but he likes that
    and my daughter has put in a lovely little veggie garden and lots of flowers.
    It feels more like home I think to them.

Good luck with apartment hunting... moving is a drag but once settled in its sooo nice.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm sure they would listen, but know that if they get a paying customer today, you will be sol.

but seriously, i can't hurt to look. you may also want to do more research so that you don't find yourself moving again in a year. moving sucks. :lol:

if all else fails, i'll rent my shed out to you. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Gob wrote:

is this ok with the fiancé? ;)
    norm wrote:
    Gob wrote:

is this ok with the fiancé? ;)
    Ha!.. 6 months already and no marriage yet. It's a miracle. ;)

Actually, it's to move closer to her, with her possibly moving in and helping me out. ;)

@81, Don't you live in the north 'burbs? I've always been a south sider, except for a year in Lincoln Park.. I'm looking at the Park Ridge area. I don't want to be too far from 294 and close to Touhy... Will I need to remove my Sox plates to avoid vandalism? :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've only driven thru park ridge...i'm alot further west. it's pretty safe out by me. my neighbors behind me used to fly a green bay wind sock. they are still alive. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Seems like if they have a tenant that knows they will be moving out and the apartment will be available when you need it, they would be glad to have you lock it in ahead of time.

We have a 2 bedroom and are thinking about getting a larger, 3 bedroom in the same complex. The manager is looking out for us and has let us know about tenants that are going to move out, sometimes it is 3 or 4 months out.