Alaska!

tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey all!
I will be traveling to Alaska from June 7-14, in and around Anchorage and Denali for the most part. Starting to think about how to pack...my mother keeps telling me that I need my winter coat and all this cold weather bulky stuff but im thinking it cant be worse than it is now in Cleveland, Ohio. Anyone from Alaska or has been to Alaska in early-mid June that could advise on just how cold it will likely be...and also can I expect mostly sun or mostly rain....wind is also a factor of course. I really am hopinng to NOT check a bag and just do a large carry-on but that really depends on how much bulky shit i must take.

On another note...any suggestions on sweet day trips from Anchorage (this will be our home base from which we will rent a car and drive to other destinations for a day or more). I especially love scenic drives, parks, water, stuff like that.

thanks!
Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
To find an approach and a way to live
Are we getting something out of this
all-encompassing trip?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    did that trip back in 09.

we went the first week of june and the weather was awesome while we where there. mid 70's every day. who knows what it will be like this time of year

sun never sets that time of year.

day trips....

Seward is a short drive away, great location for taking a day long boat trip to see glaciers falling into the ocean (cool), whales, otters and misc other wildlife.

Whittier was cool as well. Not the town so much, because there isn't much there, but to get there, you drive thru a 2.5 mile tunnel that is straight as an arrow. that was worth the price of admission, imo. in whittier, you can rent kayaks and they have a nice hotel/restraunt to eat at. teh coolest thing to see there is the old army base that looks like it was bombed out. it was closed after an earthquake and because of asbestos, they just left it because of the cost to tear it down

the mountains are a bit of a haul from ankorage, so you may want to get a place to stay at the park if you plan on doing anything up there.

we also went up and checked out fairbanks. checked out a local gold mine where they give you bags of dirt to pan for gold. that was cool. while up there, we also hit up north pole alaska and the santa shop. sent a bunch of post cards to friends from there.

make sure to check out the drive thru coffee huts...they are everywhere.

the alsaka oil pipeline is also pretty neat to check out.

just explore

good times

my biggest regret is not driving up the dalton to get above the artic circle.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • TS1969TS1969 Posts: 53
    81 wrote:

I have been to Alaska several times and one of my biggest regrets is not getting above the arctic circle.

The Kenai peninsula is not far from Anchorage and lots to see.

Talkeetna is a pretty cool little town that is the usual starting place for hikers into Denali NP.

There is so much to do, and see, just outside of the city. Explore and you will want to go back.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If you have some extra cash look into getting a fishing guide for a float trip down one of the rivers. It will be an experience you will never forget, and you'll get some great pics of bears. You are in Salmon and Trout heaven!
  • PapPap Posts: 28,803
    tremorvoid wrote:
    I will be traveling to Alaska from June 7-14...
    8-)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    81 wrote:
    did that trip back in 09.

we went the first week of june and the weather was awesome while we where there. mid 70's every day. who knows what it will be like this time of year

sun never sets that time of year.

day trips....

Seward is a short drive away, great location for taking a day long boat trip to see glaciers falling into the ocean (cool), whales, otters and misc other wildlife.

Whittier was cool as well. Not the town so much, because there isn't much there, but to get there, you drive thru a 2.5 mile tunnel that is straight as an arrow. that was worth the price of admission, imo. in whittier, you can rent kayaks and they have a nice hotel/restraunt to eat at. teh coolest thing to see there is the old army base that looks like it was bombed out. it was closed after an earthquake and because of asbestos, they just left it because of the cost to tear it down

the mountains are a bit of a haul from ankorage, so you may want to get a place to stay at the park if you plan on doing anything up there.

we also went up and checked out fairbanks. checked out a local gold mine where they give you bags of dirt to pan for gold. that was cool. while up there, we also hit up north pole alaska and the santa shop. sent a bunch of post cards to friends from there.

make sure to check out the drive thru coffee huts...they are everywhere.

the alsaka oil pipeline is also pretty neat to check out.

just explore

good times

That is kick ass
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Alaska is amazing. You are going to have a great time!

I went on a fishing trip on the Kenai back in 2002 to fish for silver salmon, did some great hikes, and made a trip down to Homer. Really beautiful country. I am from Maine and Alaska is Maine on steroids.

Though I never made it up to Denali, I really want to make a return trip to spend some time there. My brother spent a summer in Denali and still talks about it. Just watch out for Grizzlies, he had a run in with a few of them while fishing.

Enjoy
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11