Feline Rhino Virus..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I recently had my cat nuetered, and he stayed at my parents for a few days to recover. He was having a crazy reaction to the tranquilizer patch, so my mom kept close supervision to him while I worked. I'm not home very often so it was best.

Not even thinking about it, one of my parents cats has rhino virus.. This was a few weeks ago he stayed there, and while he recovered from the surgery quickly, his health seemed to really deteriorate in the past few days.

We rushed him to the vet today and he had a 105 degree fever. They gave him an IV and antibiotics.

Is this disease common? I'm reading it's like herpes, and once they get it it's life long! Will the fever pass and will it come back? Will he build some resistance, or is this going to be a lifelong struggle with this guy?

He's still only 6 months old. I hope this isn't stunting his growth or causing brain damage. I've never been responsible for a pet or a child, so for the first time in my life I'm worrying like a parent! :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Not off to great start. First tip in parenting. Don't take your kids(pet) to where others are sick. Hope he is going to be alright.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    never even heard of it
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    edited May 2011
    Hey there,
    I found this and it has a little about upper resp. infection in kittens.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/respirat ... tens.htmle
    Apparently, from what I have read from my old vet nurse books, they do become carriers and can reinffect themselves in times of stress. But I also read that if caught and treated nice and early, it can be cured. Don't quote me though, best to ask your vet because your situation might be different. I know there are lots of different meds out now. Good luck mate, hope your kitty gets better soon.
    Post edited by Loulou on
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    edited May 2011
    Just read a bit more, don't know if it helps but:

Treatment:
    Antibiotics, fluid therapy (they might put him/her on a drip) and good nursing to include ensuring the patient's airways are patent. Encourage the animal to eat, using odourous foods or they might need tubing if anorexic.

I know when I used to look after sick cats and they wouldn't eat, I would heat there food up a little because if they can't smell it, they won't eat it.
    Once again, good luck :)6.gif
    Post edited by Loulou on
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/respirat ... ttens.html
    Sorry, just thought i would put this back up here because it wasn't linking for some reason.

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Sorry your baby is sick :( {{{{good vibes}}}} being sent your way.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I have never heard of this either but it's sad with any pet. I hope yours can be cured, that kitty deserves a long and healthy life.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    One of my cats caught that and lived a long life. Like herpes in humans, once you get it, you are always 'carrying' it. Sometimes it flares up again, sometimes it doesn't.

Not much can be done but to keep the kitty comfortable when he is ill and keep his eyes and nose clean. My vet didn't prescribe any antibiotics as he did not have any secondary infection (this is also sometimes a preventive measure). My cat had one flare up after that (in 10 years). I think that if the cat gets many flare ups, antiviral medicine can be given.

He was the first cat I had to ever get this virus. After that, all my other ones have been vaccinated....

Another point, the virus spreads via contact (the muck from the eyes and nose), so remember to wash & sterilise your hands when you stroke him (so you don't re-infect) and also change bedding all the time. I used to cover my cat's two favourite spots with pillow cases that I changed 2/3 times a day so any discharge that was rubbed on didn't go straight back to him!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    He's doing MUCH better today.

We think he did pick it up from the other cat, but it only got bad because his immune system was already weak from the surgury. He may always carry it, but it may never flare up again.

From what I understand, most cats are born with it and times of stress make them sick from it.
    That's really good to hear! It's awful seeing your pets sick!
    Gob wrote:
    He's doing MUCH better today.

We think he did pick it up from the other cat, but it only got bad because his immune system was already weak from the surgury. He may always carry it, but it may never flare up again.

From what I understand, most cats are born with it and times of stress make them sick from it.

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2