Guardian's Travel Photographer of the Year

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Some of these photo's are pretty cool:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/galler ... 6&index=14

pic3.jpg?t=1304619513
A sadhu making his way out of a cloud of colours during the Holi festival in India. Photograph by Poras Chaudary, India, special mention in Best Single Image in a Portfolio – Encounters category.

pic2.jpg?t=1304619472
"This was shot just after a sunset on the roof of a palace at Shugruf village in the Haraz Mountains of Yemen. No extra lighting was used. The sun has just set (see the top right corner of the image) and mist has started to rise from the valley below." Photograph by Matjaz Krivic, Slovenia, winner of Best Single Image in a Portfolio - Amazing Places category.

pic1.jpg?t=1304619389
Tribes people, Western Highlands, Papua New Guinea. "I was shooting in Papua New Guinea for the BBC’s landmark documentary Human Planet. I randomly met these guys in the forest near a local singsing ritual. We couldn’t understand each other, and I don’t know anything about them, who they are, or where they came from..." Photograph by Timothy Allen, UK, highly recommended in One Shot Adventures category.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I guess the theme this year was CREEPY :lol:

they are pretty cool, creepy, but cool
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    more like 'haunting' I'd say...cool pics!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    awesome.. the second one looks like the setting for a Tim Burton flick.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    The first one looks like a painting, I'd hang that up in my house.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    awesome.. the second one looks like the setting for a Tim Burton flick.
    haha i thought the same thing
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited May 2011
    Here's a few I took on my train journey from Bejing to London. They won't win any awards, but I got a few half-decent ones:

5535935579_90f78135ec.jpg
    The Great Wall From Jinshanling to Simatai

5579289419_40ff6cb28a.jpg
    Zaisan Hill, Ulaan Baator, Mongolia

5579355359_0210df33ff.jpg
    Shamanic Prayer Flag, Mongolian Countryside

5580286518_d976631d1f.jpg
    Russian Orthodox Church & Frozen Lake Baikal

5580927879_22c2bb3d2f.jpg
    Frozen Lake Baikal, Siberia

5581552766_33679be29f.jpg
    Russian Orthodox Church in Irkutsk, Siberia

5583707231_19f49f3641.jpg
    Ganina Yama, Ekaterinburg, Where The Bodies of The Romanov Family Were First Buried

5588258777_5a59bd23d6.jpg
    Church On Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg

5608621809_8e6e236404.jpg
    Remains of The Berlin Wall
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    nice ones!
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    edited May 2011
    those are very nice.

i think the top one is very beautiful.

the 2nd looks as if its perched atop a mound and might slide off the edge at any moment. interesting.

the 3rd....makes me want to find out a lot more :)
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... th-002.jpg
    i also thought this one was quite beautiful...the sky looks looks like the softest cotton sheet you'd ever feel in your life..draping down from the sky..awesome..although i kind of wish the boat wasn't in the foreground..it needs something in the foreground..just not something artificial..and it would have been perfect

(the flying bear was cool too :) )
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    you kiddin Byrnzie? those are awesome too!
    That one form Mongolia looks photoshopped! the gold is so...well, gold. (contrasts heavily with the white snow.)

good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    That one form Mongolia looks photoshopped! the gold is so...well, gold. (contrasts heavily with the white snow.)

That's just how it looked that day - it was freezing. I don't think I've ever been so cold.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pic1.jpg?t=1304619389
    Tribes people, Western Highlands, Papua New Guinea. "I was shooting in Papua New Guinea for the BBC’s landmark documentary Human Planet. I randomly met these guys in the forest near a local singsing ritual. We couldn’t understand each other, and I don’t know anything about them, who they are, or where they came from..." Photograph by Timothy Allen, UK, highly recommended in One Shot Adventures category.

Cobra-Kai-Skeleton-group.jpg

Cobra Kai!
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pic1.jpg?t=1304619389

Cobra-Kai-Skeleton-group.jpg

Cobra Kai!

The mystery is solved! :P
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Great photos.

I agree the one you took in Mongolia is awesome. I hope to get to Russia someday too, very cool.