name my band

i shit and i stinki shit and i stink Posts: 1,122
edited June 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've never been in a band before but, after a couple of years of playing guitar, I wanna get a garage band going just for fun. We're gonna play dark folk disco punk rock.... badly. We need a name. If we ever make a record (with a 4 tracker in the garage, no delusions of grandeur), we've already decided on 'Dark side of the spoon'.

So, here are our list of potential band names, all starting on zero scores. If you like one, copy and paste the list and add a couple of points to it, if you kind of like one, just add one point. You can add points to more than one if you like. After a while, we'll see if there is a winner (or we'll see that nobody voted and the thread got buried :lol: )

Pol Pot Pourri - 0
The disintegrators - 0
The displacements - 0
Whole life crisis - 0
skyway - 0
The wire taps - 0
Mother folkers - 0
Crucifixion disco - 0
Strum and strummer - 0
Moby's dick - 0
Loungeroom Lena and the Character Defects - 0
we're all going to the same place...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• foursymbolsfoursymbols Posts: 527
    The Wire Taps ain't bad but gotta be 'Loungeroom Lena and the Character Defects'!! Its a mouthful... 8-)
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • The Wire Taps ain't bad but gotta be 'Loungeroom Lena and the Character Defects'!! Its a mouthful... 8-)

We were thinking 'Dangerous Dave and the Character Defects' instead.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    skyway
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    "Moby's dick" is awesome.

"bigfoot's dick" is good too.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • foursymbolsfoursymbols Posts: 527
    'The Runts'
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • 'The Runts'

Good punky name but it's alread taken... and two guys in the "band" (I use the term loosely) are over 6' 4", so they're not exactly runtish
  • Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    How about Dark Folk's Rockin' at the Punk Disco........and when you've made it you can change it to the Dark Folk's. You're welcome. :ugeek:
  • Jason78 wrote:
    How about Dark Folk's Rockin' at the Punk Disco........and when you've made it you can change it to the Dark Folk's. You're welcome. :ugeek:

We're not gonna make it, we're not even gonna try! :lol: Creative name, though. I like your thinking.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    how about Podkolzine's Dick
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I like 'Whole Life Crisis' best!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • how about Podkolzine's Dick

Okay, that has gone right over my head!!! :?
  • pedalbreakpedalbreak Posts: 138
    Moby's Dick is one of the best band names I've heard of
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    edited May 2011
    "Moby's Dick" I would scrap, I don't know if it's already a band name or not, but I've heard the term a million times and I'm sure somebody has it. I know it's the name of a Six & Violence song. I've never heard "Whole Life Crisis" before, and I think it's pretty clever. I would go with that.

I remember the first band I was in, I was in high school and we spent days trying to come up with a good name, brainstorming, arguing, until we finally came up with one. I forget what it was, I seem to remember it being something lame, and then the drummer's older brother started calling us "The Four Pussies" (because he was an asshole) and it stuck. We brushed it off at first, but that's what people started to call us (thanks to the brother) so we eventually just owned up to it and called ourselves "The Four Pussies". It was kind of like a nickname you don't like, the more you resist it, the more people will call you that, so you might as well be in on the joke.
    Post edited by SatansFuton on
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • "Moby's Dick" I would scrap, I don't know if it's already a band name or not, but I've heard the term a million times and I'm sure somebody has it. I know it's the name of a Six & Violence album. I've never heard "Whole Life Crisis" before, and I think it's pretty clever. I would go with that.

I remember the first band I was in, I was in high school and we spent days trying to come up with a good name, brainstorming, arguing, until we finally came up with one. I forget what it was, I seem to remember it being something lame, and then the drummer's older brother started calling us "The Four Pussies" (because he was an asshole) and it stuck. We brushed it off at first, but that's what people started to call us (thanks to the brother) so we eventually just owned up to it and called ourselves "The Four Pussies". It was kind of like a nickname you don't like, the more you resist it, the more people will call you that, so you might as well be in on the joke.

I have to say, I also wasn't a fan of "Moby's dick" fromt he names on the list because I saw Moby on 'Nevermind The Buzzcocks' and he was pretty self-effacing and good humoured and I don't know if I feel comfortable making fun of the guy. If he was an asshole, I'd feel differently about it.

'The four pussies' - it's certainly memorable!
    how about Podkolzine's Dick

only tall polish guy i could think of

he got drafted by the nba

i think he was polish?
  • how about Podkolzine's Dick

only tall polish guy i could think of

he got drafted by the nba

i think he was polish?

I checked on wiki and he's Russian. The basketball reference threw me. I think there is one Pole who plays that sport though, Marcin something.... I saw an article about him a while back, I think he plays for Orlando.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Beyond Normal Limits......
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • thefixer9 wrote:

Which would suggest that we will be stretching the three chords we will be using beyond their usual limits :D
    clever
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    thefixer9 wrote:

Which would suggest that we will be stretching the three chords we will be using beyond their usual limits :D
    clever
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    I liked these the best:

Whole life crisis
    skyway
    The wire taps
    Loungeroom Lena and the Character Defects
  • I liked these the best:

Whole life crisis
    skyway
    The wire taps
    Loungeroom Lena and the Character Defects

We thought of changing 'Loungeroom Lena...' to 'Leisuresuit Larry and the Character Defects' after that old, old computer game.
    I checked on wiki and he's Russian. The basketball reference threw me. I think there is one Pole who plays that sport though, Marcin something.... I saw an article about him a while back, I think he plays for Orlando.

my apologies...

my wife's family is polish and i thought he was too

marcin gortat plays for phoenix now... maybe i confused him with pavel

sooo

how about

gortat's junk?

;)
  • I checked on wiki and he's Russian. The basketball reference threw me. I think there is one Pole who plays that sport though, Marcin something.... I saw an article about him a while back, I think he plays for Orlando.

my apologies...

my wife's family is polish and i thought he was too

marcin gortat plays for phoenix now... maybe i confused him with pavel

sooo

how about

gortat's junk?

;)

I think there was a band named after a basketball player once but I think they changed their name...
  • The Pecan Sandies
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • The Pecan Sandies

Which is an anagram, amongst numerous other things I'm sure, of "He can't need a piss", which is an obvious name for an album in that case!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The Pecan Sandies

Which is an anagram, amongst numerous other things I'm sure, of "He can't need a piss", which is an obvious name for an album in that case!

Actually it's from "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia". Frank says that aside from being a cookie it also has some sexual meaning. I think they made him shut up before he could elaborate.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    The Jumbo Petites.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    I think there was a band named after a basketball player once but I think they changed their name...

exactly... and look how that shit turned out! ;)

you actually could probably go with Mookie Blaylock

it's not like anyone knows who he is anymore ;)
  • Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    tremors wrote:
    I like 'Whole Life Crisis' best!

ditto!

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,638
    Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homunculus
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}