Record player issues.

youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I used to have a Sony turntable that I got used off of Craigslist. Loved it. Worked great. All my records played flawlessly on it. A few months ago, I bought a brand new AudioTechnica record player. I noticed on a few of my records that this new player would sort of skip the grooves so to speak. Like it would skip a whole revolution of the record in essence missing like 2-3 seconds of the song. I cleaned the record and checked the needle but it still does this from time to time. Anyone know what it might be? This happens on records I buy new and open myself as well. I'm a little disappointed with this but hoping there is something I can do about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    put about a gram on the needle. does it have a counter weight . if not use a Penny,Dime . fat joint . Whatever you have handy . don't go to heavy though ! ;):mrgreen:

Does it to me on some Rap . and one Metallica LP i have
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Well, I don't want to waste the joint so I will try a dime. What does a counterweight on the player look like? Will I be able to see it? I don't think this player has it. Thanks for the tip, joker.

• triphobztriphobz Posts: 152
    I had the same problem when I bought my first turntable...

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall200 ... ystem.html

Hope the link helps :)
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Sounds quite likely you have the tonearm weight set way too light. There's normally a guide weight range for each cartridge (the thing that holds the stylus) - which is a good starting point - but I do mine by ear these days - try increasing the tonearm weight with the counterweight quite substantially, and see what happens

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX3PDHPXXaVHr1WN1a5uRTCAxVihefKHQtFmaQPqf290DjnmnJNg

It's the round bit on the end we are talking about - does it have one of those that you can turn? I'd be surprised if it doesn't

This might help you also - not brilliant, but you'll get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoIHn2g0398
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    tremors wrote:
    Sounds quite likely you have the tonearm weight set way too light. There's normally a guide weight range for each cartridge (the thing that holds the stylus) - which is a good starting point - but I do mine by ear these days - try increasing the tonearm weight with the counterweight quite substantially, and see what happens

It's the round bit on the end we are talking about - does it have one of those that you can turn? I'd be surprised if it doesn't

Unfortunately mine looks nothing like that. I have what looks like a black box in which the tone arm comes out of. It doesn't have a knob or anything that I can adjust. However, I did tape a dime to the top of the arm above the cartridge as a test and I noticed that the stylus is pressed down on the record more. It definately didn't have enough weight on it. Now I just need to figure out what to do so I don't have to have Roosevelt staring at me everytime I spin vinyl.

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    youngster wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Unfortunately mine looks nothing like that. I have what looks like a black box in which the tone arm comes out of. It doesn't have a knob or anything that I can adjust. However, I did tape a dime to the top of the arm above the cartridge as a test and I noticed that the stylus is pressed down on the record more. It definately didn't have enough weight on it. Now I just need to figure out what to do so I don't have to have Roosevelt staring at me everytime I spin vinyl.

I'm surprised it doesn't have a way of adjusting the weight on an Audio Technica turntable - but it might be the case! Do you have an instruction manual? You can probably find one online.

How did it sound with the coin, and did it skip on those same records? If it improved things then at least you know it is the weight.

Good luck!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    It did improve it a bit but might have to go up to a penny because it still skipped in a couple places. I am talking about a Mad Season record I bought sealed on ebay and played flawlessly twice on my old Sony. Skipped on the first and second songs but weirdly the 3rd and 4th songs on side A were fine and sides B and C were fine as well. The dime did help the first couple tracks a lot but still skipped in a few spots. Honestly, this is a visually stunning record, not so much as a smudge on any side. And knowing that it played on a nother player fine but not this one is baffling. I do have the manual so I will check to see what that says. Thanks so much for the advice. It helped a lot. :D

youngster wrote:
    I used to have a Sony turntable that I got used off of Craigslist. Loved it. Worked great. All my records played flawlessly on it. A few months ago, I bought a brand new AudioTechnica record player. I noticed on a few of my records that this new player would sort of skip the grooves so to speak. Like it would skip a whole revolution of the record in essence missing like 2-3 seconds of the song. I cleaned the record and checked the needle but it still does this from time to time. Anyone know what it might be? This happens on records I buy new and open myself as well. I'm a little disappointed with this but hoping there is something I can do about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would try a new needle . i just changed mine world of difference . check this site out just put your model number in and it will tell or show you the different needles that work with yours . cheers

http://www.turntableneedles.com/
    Jokertt wrote:
    youngster wrote:

I would try a new needle . i just changed mine world of difference . check this site out just put your model number in and it will tell or show you the different needles that work with yours . cheers

Thanks. I already bought a replacement needle that is an Audio Technica needle. I will try it to see if it helps. It is possible the original needle may be flawed. Thanks again.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    I would go with Tremors idea and look on-line for an instruction manual. Weighting your tone arm with coins is likely to wear out both your stylus and your LPs prematurely.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 2011
    brianlux wrote:
    I would go with Tremors idea and look on-line for an instruction manual. Weighting your tone arm with coins is likely to wear out both your stylus and your LPs prematurely.

that's what i was trying to say i guess . try a new stylus rather then stacking coins .
    I made the change big difference in sound the whole Nine ....

"wear out both your stylus and your LPs prematurely"

Vinyl has been around for Years and you don't think your parents every had to stack stuff on there stylus ask some of the older Gen. My parents are surprised to see how careful i am with mine !! :lol::lol:
    Now your stylus yes you would wear out faster then most !! agreed there !

Myself went away from the air craft aluminum and tried a carbon fiber . Witch i think has a cleaner sound !

this is a good site . they tell you just about every make model and the stylus that fights it ...

https://www.turntableneedles.com/

all that fails you might just have to clean your vinyl . I am sure everyone has there own way .
    I use a mix of water and liquid silicon . and lots of paper towel . with a very small bowl to cover the label when spraying the MIX >>> Lubes them right up . radio Stations have been doing this for Years when they were spinning Vinyl !!
    I do not clean all my records this way . mostly very dirty goodwill finds and new LP's that just have that skip in them . drives me nutz !
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
    youngster wrote:
    Jokertt wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Thanks. I already bought a replacement needle that is an Audio Technica needle. I will try it to see if it helps. It is possible the original needle may be flawed. Thanks again.

I wouldn't say flawed . but something like factory car stereo to a after market with bass !! lol

I also would keep your older stylus around to play those dirty LP's .. or in till you clean them i found that comes in handy and keeps your new one new !
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    Here's another item that really works wonders on vinyl. It works as well as most of the plug-in record cleaning machines yet for a fraction of the cost. I bought a few extra cloths and made a simple rack for placing the records edge-wise toward a slow fan for thorough drying. Works great!

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.