Sports Fan Superstitions

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Do any of you lovely people have any weird traditions/rules/rituals that you follow when rooting for your favorite teams?

My buddy and I wont sit in a certain section of safeco field because the M's are literally winless when we sit in THAT section (we go to a shit ton of games).

We still wont watch Seahawks games at one of our friend house because of the 2005 superbowl.

anyone else?
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    great thread.....i used to have a ton of them. threw them all out the window (most of them anyway) a few years ago because all of my teams went about 25 years without a title....low and behold, the philies end up winning the world series the following year. ;):lol:

i still have a few though.
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Well, I have a Phillies troll (see avatar :D ) on my desk here at work. If the Phillies are on a roll, I won't let anyone touch it. If they're doing really badly, then I kind of mess with his hair, sometimes I put it a ponytail or pigtails, just to shake things up. :lol:

After one season I put him in a jar for the entire off season and didn't let him out until spring training. :lol:
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    Do any of you lovely people have any weird traditions/rules/rituals that you follow when rooting for your favorite teams?

My buddy and I wont sit in a certain section of safeco field because the M's are literally winless when we sit in THAT section (we go to a shit ton of games).

We still wont watch Seahawks games at one of our friend house because of the 2005 superbowl.

anyone else?
    A guy I used to work with split Red Sox season tickets with a few people. He went to 17 games one year, and they were 0-17 in those games.

Me I like to sit on a certain side of the couch, and if I happen to move positions and my teams do poorly I always readjust.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I don't know how this started, but last season we started putting out this yogurt on the kitchen counter near the end of Giants games. We had to do it every game, all through the playoffs and the World Series. And - uck - we still have the yogurt in the refrigerator. God only knows what it looks like inside.

And yes, we're still putting it out.

photo_4-2.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    They change every year, what works for baseball doesnt work for football.
  • Every year I have to buy a new terrible towel 1 week before the Steelers regular season starts. I've been doing this since 2002 and if they have a bad couple games (not just losing, but playing bad) during the season I switch over to the black terrible towel until they win again...I take a terrible towel with me every game no matter where I watch it
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Well, I have a Phillies troll (see avatar :D ) on my desk here at work. If the Phillies are on a roll, I won't let anyone touch it. If they're doing really badly, then I kind of mess with his hair, sometimes I put it a ponytail or pigtails, just to shake things up. :lol:

After one season I put him in a jar for the entire off season and didn't let him out until spring training. :lol:

Hahahaahaha, I love this! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Well, I have a Phillies troll (see avatar :D ) on my desk here at work. If the Phillies are on a roll, I won't let anyone touch it. If they're doing really badly, then I kind of mess with his hair, sometimes I put it a ponytail or pigtails, just to shake things up. :lol:

Hahahaahaha, I love this! :lol::lol::lol:
    yes that is good ---
    my only superstition involving the Cubs is to try not to get my hopes up and pretend like i dont care in hopes that they will stop purposly breaking my heart every year ---- :ugeek:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Not really. I'm pretty sane.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Enkidu wrote:
    I don't know how this started, but last season we started putting out this yogurt on the kitchen counter near the end of Giants games. We had to do it every game, all through the playoffs and the World Series. And - uck - we still have the yogurt in the refrigerator. God only knows what it looks like inside.

photo_4-2.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    Enkidu wrote:

photo_4-2.jpg

that is awesome! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    playoff beard

don't shave unless the teams I support are out
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    See sig.

If that's unclear then I'll clarify ... no, I think it's kind of silly.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    jimed14 wrote:
    See sig.

If that's unclear then I'll clarify ... no, I think it's kind of silly.

Sacrilege
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    don't have any superstitions

although earlier this baseball season I noticed that the Braves seemed to do really well when I watched them while walking on the treadmill...then they go to LA and lose three of four (parts of all games seen while walking) then go and sweep the Giants (watched, but not while walking) so I let that possible one go...
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Amazing how different the baseball world was before 04.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    brother123 wrote:
    playoff beard

soooo....have you shaved or not for hockey?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    brother123 wrote:
    playoff beard

soooo....have you shaved or not for hockey?

good question, are you a Bruins fan Max or what?? It's hard to tell. :D
    Amazing how different the baseball world was before 04.

agreed....well, '08 for me ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My superstition involves using a lucky mirror to redirect sunlight into the eyes of players on the opposing team ... it seems to work pretty well. :D
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    I have a few weird ones.

Whenever I'm watching a close White Sox game in the late innings, I usually turn the volume down really low...sometimes off completely. I think it just helps to relax me since I get so stressed out in those tight situations.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Going to a NJ Devil game: play Running With The Devil by Van Halen in the car ride over.
    Giants Football game: Wavy Lays + Pepsi
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    The 81 wrote:
    Not really. I'm pretty sane.
    I'm calling bullshit!!!
    :lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14