Options

New York Mets..

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Well I was watching a show on my favorite baseball team, and they asked what's on the iPod's in the locker room..

Aaron Heilman replied "Anything by Pearl Jam." And Scot Schoenwise replied "Pearl Jam, definitely Pearl Jam."

Nice to see my Mets players are listening to good music. Too bad they both SUCK.
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    I agree 100% as a Die-Hard Mets Fan since '95
    its cool they like PJ tho
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Raul Ibanez from the M's says that Pearl Jam is one of his favorite bands. Last time I went to Safeco field with a PJ cap I got on the Jumbo-Tron :D
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    Raul Ibanez from the M's says that Pearl Jam is one of his favorite bands. Last time I went to Safeco field with a PJ cap I got on the Jumbo-Tron :D
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_entertainment.jsp?ymd=20080103&content_id=2338286&vkey=entertainment&fext=.jsp

Ibanez strikes a chord
    01/03/2008 11:25 AM ET
    By Doug Miller / MLB.com

Raul Ibanez is accustomed to kids in Mariners jerseys approaching him with that familiar look of nervous wonder, leaning from their Safeco Field seats to possibly get an autograph or at least a smile and wave of the hand.

And if anyone thinks Seattle's star outfielder can't identify with those wide-eyed youngsters, think again. Ibanez admits he feels the same way when he's in the presence of his rock n' roll heroes.

Through his baseball connections and his passion for music, Ibanez has met members of Guns N' Roses, Creed, and one of his favorite bands, Seattle's own Pearl Jam. He almost met Bono and The Edge from another one of his most beloved groups, U2. And when he was playing in Toronto against the Blue Jays one night, he couldn't help but notice the presence of another one of his rock heroes.

"I came close to meeting (Rush lead singer and bassist) Geddy Lee," Ibanez says. "He's one of my all-time musical idols and he was sitting in the stands. I was going to get him to sign my guitar, but the game went extra innings.

"He stayed for a while, but then he took off. Hopefully one day that will happen."

But as for the rock stars he has met, Ibanez has nothing but good things to say about Pearl Jam and its lead singer, Eddie Vedder.

"It's been really cool to meet and get to know those guys," Ibanez says. "I got their tape in late 1991, so I've always been a fan. And it's even better when you spend a little time around them and they're just great human beings. That for me is the ultimate. If you meet somebody like that that you really admire and respect and they're jerks, it deflates the balloon. So it's been great to meet these guys and not be disappointed."

As for his own musical journey, Ibanez says he'll continue work on his own guitar chops and possibly try out the piano. He says he's been playing guitar for the last five years, ever since he bought one "just because."

Ibanez says having an accomplished guitarist such as former teammate Dave Hansen around helped tremendously, and that former Mariners first baseman Ben Broussard, who has his own CD of original material, was a bonus during his brief time in Seattle.

"Those guys not only taught me songs, but they also taught me chord progressions and just kind of how to play," Ibanez. "Watching them do it makes it a lot easier for me."

Ibanez owns several Taylor acoustic guitars, including a 12-string, plus the requisite electric rock guitar, the Fender Stratocaster, plus a cherry red PRS Carlos Santana model. He says he's always had an ear for music, which isn't surprising considering his 101-year-old grandmother was a concert violinist who taught the instrument for years and his grandfather was a piano teacher.

"Even when I first picked up the guitar, I'd been able to match a note I heard with notes on the guitar," Ibanez says. "I didn't have the perfect pitch where I could say, 'Yeah, that's a D chord,' but I could fiddle around and find it."

These days, Ibanez says he'll take a small acoustic guitar with him on occasional road trips. As a result of impromptu hotel sessions with Hansen and Broussard, Ibanez says he's "gotten better and improvising and soloing, and not just that, but I've gotten better at timing and rhythm within the song and the right tempo."

Rhythm, timing and tempo are very familiar concepts to a guy known for a smooth left-handed swing in the batter's box, but when it comes to goals for the future, Ibanez says his current profession has taught him a lot when it comes to expectations with music.

"I'd like to improve steadily (at guitar), but the reason why the guitar has this allure for me is because the way that I view it and approach it is completely different from how I approach baseball," Ibanez says.

"That perfectionist side of me with the game of baseball is still going to apply, but with the guitar, I'm kind of able to suppress that part of me and really just improve at my own pace and figure that, 'Hey, I can't play this right now, but six months from now, I'll be able to play it, and if not that, than a year, and if not that, three years.'

"It's a steady progression, and I look at it like a lifelong endeavor. I'll just continually get better."

Found that, that's awesome.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57
    it's amazing how an opinion of a baseball player that you don't really know that well or care about changes as soon as you find out he's a pearl jam fan. it's funny. david wright is a fan and when i found that out he suddenly became cool.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3
  • Options
    Vacate wrote:
    it's amazing how an opinion of a baseball player that you don't really know that well or care about changes as soon as you find out he's a pearl jam fan. it's funny. david wright is a fan and when i found that out he suddenly became cool.
    D-Wright is the man!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    Cool about Heilman, especially considering I played college baseball with a couple of his former high school teammates.

Didn't know David Wright was a fan either. I'll be at a Mets game in about a week, so hopefully I'll hear some Pearl Jam prior to at bats.

I went to a Brewers game a couple years back and I remember Geoff Jenkins, in some between innings video, talking about how he always listens to Pearl Jam and Soundgarden on game days. Always made me like Jenkins, despite that awful looking beard.
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    so is joba, damon, and duncan, they are going to the gardnen shows together, duncan is in the fanclub
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    Yea Mets!
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    happy2beherehappy2behere Posts: 148
    i don't care if heilman is president of the tenclub, that mofo is in the doghouse.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    the mets will be getting swept this weekend..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    The met's musical taste is the only good thing about that team! Go Yanks!
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    so is joba, damon, and duncan, they are going to the gardnen shows together, duncan is in the fanclub

this could be a problem...

june 24 @ pittsburgh
    june 25 @ pittsburgh
  • Options
    They'll sweep the Yanks this weekend in the Bronx and again next month in Queens !!!!
    Anybody want Delgado ?
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    this could be a problem...

june 24 @ pittsburgh
    june 25 @ pittsburgh

yeahhhh... doubt they can make the shows.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Well I was watching a show on my favorite baseball team, and they asked what's on the iPod's in the locker room..

Aaron Heilman replied "Anything by Pearl Jam." And Scot Schoenwise replied "Pearl Jam, definitely Pearl Jam."

Nice to see my Mets players are listening to good music. Too bad they both SUCK.

Schoenweis has been pretty good this year actually. About a 2.00 ERA.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    I remember being at a game back when Nady was on the team, he said he was a PJ fan on the jumbotron. Hielman was on there as well.
  • Options
    D-Wright is the man!

I agree! He and Jose Reyes are my favorite players!
  • Options
    crazyindigo82crazyindigo82 Posts: 133

rofl!! always been a yankees fan myself, but reading this makes me hate the mets just a tad bit less... thanks :)
    Up here so high I start to shake...
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest...
    Just like my innocence...
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    At Indians games they always play Jeremy after the current Indians pitcher gets rocked and Eric Wedge comes to take him out. Being a PJ fan I'm probably the only person to notice this but I could never understand how Pearl Jam's Jeremy equates to your own team's pitcher getting taken out of the game..
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    METS RULE!!! Sad to see Mike Piazza retire though. He's a big rock and roll guy. BTW kick ass name BetterManningNYG. Anybody whos a Giant and Pearl Jam fan is cool in my book.