Options

Even flow (live)

CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
edited July 2008 in The Porch
It seems to get a bad rep on the message boards. everyone says they use it for a piss break or a beer break, that it's boring, etc. It's one of my favorite parts of the show! I've been to 20 shows and I've heard it at every one except the 2003 mansfield experiement when they didn't play it (they skipped it at least one night during that, right?). Anyway, I think even flow is like the essance of pearl jam...I USUALLY love mike's solos (yes, there have been shows where I'm like ok, he could have done better on that) but I just love the bass line and the break down before the last chorus when it just explodes...

and honestly, as much as I read about people taking a pee or sitting down or just not enjoying even flow, I never actually SEE it. Every one around me always seems really into it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    i share the same view as you. the only people who take a pee break are the pissy spoiled fans who've seen them 3048230483 times.

"oh god, even flow again..."

give me a break.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    i share the same view as you. the only people who take a pee break are the pissy spoiled fans who've seen them 3048230483 times.

give me a break.

People who take pee breaks are people that have to take a piss.

The people that piss during Even Flow are the ones that have seen them 3048230483 times.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124

give me a break.
    ive only seen them 4times and i like evenflow right up until the solo then it gets boring then the solo is over and they go back into the chorus and i like it again
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Theres alot of new people here on THE PIT so most of you dont know how I feel about EVENFLOW. :D There was a time when I hadd an entire thread on the song that exxxpressed my enjoyment. :D That was the very first song I EVER heard back in the 91 and I have loved it everyday SINCE. I just told someone a couple hours ago that soooooooo many people talk MESS about it and how they use it as wiz breaks yet on every boot, you hear the entire place exxxplode in singing along!!!!! The song effin RULES. Maybe some think they play it too much or solos are too long. I dont think so!!! Pearl Jam with no EVENFLOW is weird sh*t!!!!!!! That being said......WAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    People who take pee breaks are people that have to take a piss.

The people that piss during Even Flow are the ones that have seen them 3048230483 times.
    naturally, i figured someone would 'literal' the shit out of my comment. yes, when i have to go i go, that pretty much goes without saying. some people around here hear even flow and automatically have to pee. weird...
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    alive25 wrote:
    ive only seen them 4times and i like evenflow right up until the solo then it gets boring then the solo is over and they go back into the chorus and i like it again
    :eek: while u are entitled to ure opinion........
    THATS CRAZY TALK!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    naturally, i figured someone would 'literal' the shit out of my comment. yes, when i have to go i go, that pretty much goes without saying. some people around here hear even flow and automatically have to pee. weird...

Didn't mean to go all "literal", someone in pee break thread made a dumb statement, just wanted to clear it up in here first. :)
    NERDS!
  • Options

give me a break.

i agree with you. Whether people have to wiz or not, dont u take care of that BEFORE the show? I mean, why drink so much if u are gonna have to leave during the show?! At any show not just pearl jam, I wouldnt want to miss ANY part of a concert. Im there to rock out not take wiz breaks dammit!!!! And all of you that hear the FLOW "too much"......quit going to so many damn shows!!!!!!!

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    i agree with you. Whether people have to wiz or not, dont u take care of that BEFORE the show? I mean, why drink so much if u are gonna have to leave during the show?! At any show not just pearl jam, I wouldnt want to miss ANY part of a concert. Im there to rock out not take wiz breaks dammit!!!! And all of you that hear the FLOW "too much"......quit going to so many damn shows!!!!!!!
    exactly, just go before! i mean yeah you can't really control it and when "you gotta go, you gotta go", but i mean come on. you don't go to concerts every day. especially not pearl jam ones! the juice IS worth the squeeze!
  • Options
    My friend pisses his pants before he will miss even a second of a PJ show.
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    exactly, just go before! i mean yeah you can't really control it and when "you gotta go, you gotta go", but i mean come on. you don't go to concerts every day. especially not pearl jam ones! the juice IS worth the squeeze!

thats right.

Speaking of EVENFLOW live........ one of my faves is Washington 2000. Groovy!!! Oh wait......PHOENIXXX 2000!!!! No.....Soldier Field!!!!.......dammit i cant choose. I got it. CHICAGO 06 when ed says RED ROVER RED ROVER LET MICHAEL TAKE OVER!!!!!!!! :D

• Options

please send your friend my way for a hug!!! THAT is the way to be man!!!! Thats true hardcore-ism that EVERYONE should posess.

• Options
    haha post of the year!

hmm i have a lot of favorites...

little rock '03, newcastle '06, uniondale '03, camden I '00, lollapalooza, pittsburgh '00, antwerp '06, the list goes on......
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    :eek: while u are entitled to ure opinion........
    THATS CRAZY TALK!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

haha I agree. it's the only song they really jam like that on, so I look forward to it.

and pearl jam without even flow isn't pearl jam!!!
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I can understand if people use Evenflow as a piss break song, but I can't understand how they think it's boring. If I had to choose a song to go take a piss during, it would be a song that I'm gonna hear at nearly every PJ show I wanna go to (for me, it's Better Man). The fact is that when you gotta go, you gotta go so you may as well choose a song you've seen several times or can see at your next PJ show.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    why am I spelling Evenflow "Even flow"?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    CityMouse wrote:

and pearl jam without even flow isn't pearl jam!!!

yeah the haters would never admit it but Evenflow is probably THE definitive Pearl Jam song.
    CityMouse wrote:

It is "Even Flow." That's what it says on the back cover of Ten. I always type Evenflow.

Overall, Evenflow is one of my favorite songs. It's fallen off over the years but it's still really good. I was very impressed with Mike at Washington this year playing it. for me though, 1998-2000 is Mike's prime playing Evenflow (early 90's performances are awesome too). I still totally enjoy seeing it live but rarely listen to versions on bootlegs from recent years. check out Barcelona 2000. my personal favorite Evenflow solo.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:

i always spell it EVENFLOW cuz i can! :D Even my tattoo says EVENFLOW" :D

• Options
    yeah the haters would never admit it but Evenflow is probably THE definitive Pearl Jam song.

It is "Even Flow." That's what it says on the back cover of Ten. I always type Evenflow anyway.

Overall, Evenflow is one of my favorite songs. It's fallen off over the years but it's still really good. I was very impressed with Mike at Washington this year playing it. for me though, 1998-2000 is the Mike's prime playing Evenflow (early 90's performances are really good too). I still totally enjoy it live but rarely listen to versions on recent years' boots. check Barcelona 2000. my personal favorite Evenflow solo.

oooooooh barcelona!!!! Thats a goooooood one!!!!
    mexxxico city 03 night 2 freakin rules too.

• Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    SENROCK! wrote:
    thats right.

Speaking of EVENFLOW live........ one of my faves is Washington 2000. Groovy!!! Oh wait......PHOENIXXX 2000!!!! No.....Soldier Field!!!!.......dammit i cant choose. I got it. CHICAGO 06 when ed says RED ROVER RED ROVER LET MICHAEL TAKE OVER!!!!!!!! :D
    wats good...fuck all this rah rah rah shit...me and Leathermandi are about to FLOW ..you down??
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I love Even Flow!

I do think it's played too fast nowadays...kinda like a tribute celebration version (like RITFW or Fucking Up or Baba).

I will never miss it to take a piss...because it is a PJ tradition...and it reminds me of a time when music had it's last true revolution (Alt Rock explosion).

Hey Ed...bring back the Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    wats good...fuck all this rah rah rah shit...me and Leathermandi are about to FLOW ..you down??

HELLLLLLLL YES!!!!!! where!!!! START A THREAD!!!!!!! LETS DO THIS!!!!!!

• Options
    I love Even Flow!

I do think it's played too fast nowadays...kinda like a tribute celebration version (like RITFW or Fucking Up or Baba).

I will never miss it to take a piss...because it is a PJ tradition...and it reminds me of a time when music had it's last true revolution (Alt Rock explosion).

Hey Ed...bring back the Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    :eek: i heart you. :)

• Options
    this isn't a tv studio josh. it's a fucking rock concert. turn these lights off.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    this isn't a tv studio josh. it's a fucking rock concert. turn these lights off.

*chills of exxxcitement*

• Options
    heres an idea... next time they do a double date in one city ...

night 1 play even flow like they have recently
    night 2 slow it down and play it like they did in the days of old

NICE!!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    HELLLLLLLL YES!!!!!! where!!!! START A THREAD!!!!!!! LETS DO THIS!!!!!!
    ahh shit..Im here rolling a blunt, talking to fuckers online and now I gotta start a thread...multi tasking lke a muthafucka
    ok can I at least finish rollin this so I can burn while we listen?
    we need a recent show tho...can we find an 08 show we can all listen to?

if not I can do pearljamlive.com for an 06 show...or I havent heard hawaii shows yet

pick it peeople, lets rock!!!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    *chills of exxxcitement*

since I know you love Evenflow, I'll let you in on how big of an Evenflow dork I am. a few years ago, I actually burned a CD that I titled "Evenflow Retrospective" the tracklist, if I remember correctly, was something like this:

-Gossman instrumental Demo (The King)
    -Mookie Demo
    -Ten Rough Mix
    -Ten Album Version
    -Live in Hollywood '91
    -MTV unplugged
    -Music video version
    -Live somewhere in '93
    -Live in Atlanta '94 from the dissident single
    -Live somewhere from '95 with the cool alternate intro
    -Live on Two Legs version
    -Live in Melbourne '98
    -Live in Barcelona '00 (my favorite)
    -Live in Camden '00 (my first show)
    -Live State College '03

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    ahh shit..Im here rolling a blunt, talking to fuckers online and now I gotta start a thread...multi tasking lke a muthafucka
    ok can I at least finish rollin this so I can burn while we listen?
    we need a recent show tho...can we find an 08 show we can all listen to?

if not I can do pearljamlive.com for an 06 show...or I havent heard hawaii shows yet

pick it peeople, lets rock!!!

i am ALWAYS down for hawaii!!!!! THAT was my 2nd fave show of all time. Lets do it!!!! You finish rolling, i'll start the thread.......

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    i am ALWAYS down for hawaii!!!!! THAT was my 2nd fave show of all time. Lets do it!!!! You finish rolling, i'll start the thread.......
    ok ready to spark...mandi just sent me philly 4-28-03...but I kinda want the newer songs in the mix too