NFL lockout back on(changing every second)

jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
The NFL lockout was placed back into effect Friday after the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis granted the owners' side a "stay" of Judge Susan Nelson's lockout injunction.
If you're confused, just know you aren't alone. Teams are expected to keep their facilities open, but free agency and trades are now unlikely to be allowed for at least a week, if not 6-8. The Eighth Circuit is known to be a Republican-heavy court notorious for conservative decisions, so no one should be surprised by its decision. Kevin Kolb won't be traded during the draft, and free agent Nnamdi Asomugha isn't signing anywhere anytime soon.

There goes any hope of the birds swinging something for Kob now :roll: :evil:
Go Birds!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I just think it's funny that Judge Susan Nelson's middle name is Richard.

Lockout 2011: Version 2.0

I'm excited.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • yeah, one crazy year shaping up. Did you hear the pj playing during some of the on the clock time at rmh? thought that was cool. i felt like atlanta and NO had the better picks. sucks to say that when im a cowboys fan. on to round 2.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Eighth Circuit is known to be a Republican-heavy court notorious for conservative decisions, so no one should be surprised by its decision.
    Will the courts favor the republican players or the super-republican owner? ;)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Soooooooo what happens now?
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

I'm excited.
    It's a flat out joke imo,i can't stand greedy assholes.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626

I'm excited.
    Couldn't agree more with ya. In the beginning of this whole thing, I figured they'd get something worked out. Now that it's stretched into the draft and messing up everything, both sides come off as just that. Greedy assholes.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    Fuck the NFL.

Plenty of great sports to watch this time of year. And people are watching a draft? :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Fuck the NFL.

Plenty of great sports to watch this time of year. And people are watching a draft? :roll:

What this guy said.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    sure.... just when I fall in love with the sport! :(

I'm excited.
    Couldn't agree more with ya. In the beginning of this whole thing, I figured they'd get something worked out. Now that it's stretched into the draft and messing up everything, both sides come off as just that. Greedy assholes.

My team Philly is getting screwed the most with Kolb just sitting there. As for what happens next who the hell knows cause i sure don't.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895

I'm excited.

It's funny that each side keeps saying they have the fans best interest in mind :roll:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • you will need kolb when watkins slips and vick gets pounded on. pun intended. :D
    you will need kolb when watkins slips and vick gets pounded on. pun intended. :D
    Haha u can't hold onto a player who can get you great value just because a player might get hurt. Every player could get hurt at any time.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The NFL should be ashamed of itself. This is disgusting. At at time when the NFL has never been more popular!! Just look at the last few super bowls!!! + fantasy football, etc etc etc

I think all fans should lockout. If this BS continues, the first game of the season, or the first game the NFL returns,....no fans should show up to the game.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • i hear you, but with gambling and fantasy football you can't stop the nfl. only the greedy people involved can slow it down.
    The NFL should be ashamed of itself. This is disgusting. At at time when the NFL has never been more popular!! Just look at the last few super bowls!!! + fantasy football, etc etc etc

I think all fans should lockout. If this BS continues, the first game of the season, or the first game the NFL returns,....no fans should show up to the game.

It's not like boycotting tuna because of dolphins. Fans would just be punishing themselves because watching football is something that people like to do.

Maybe they'll cancel all the preseason games and fans will get their money back for those shams.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Vegas and Cayman island bank accounts are going to be hurt the most by this. It's the only reason the damn league is so popular. Modern day horse racing.
  • trifecta box for me
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Vegas and Cayman island bank accounts are going to be hurt the most by this. It's the only reason the damn league is so popular. Modern day horse racing.

I would say fantasy and gambling have helped, but not the only reason it's #1.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,597
    umm, way to jump the gun espn! :lol:

Temporary stay expected, ESPN retracts report that stay was granted

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 29, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT

APIn the fluid situation that is the NFL labor mess, mistakes are being made — including a big one in the ESPN report that we cited just moments ago.

During the 1 p.m. Eastern SportsCenter, ESPN broke in with an on-screen graphic saying, “BREAKING NEWS: Court grants temporary stay of players’ injunction, reinstates NFL lockout.”

With that graphic on the screen, ESPN’s John Clayton reported that “The doors are going to be closing very, very quickly.”

But during the 2 p.m. SportsCenter, ESPN changed its graphic to, “DEVELOPING STORY: Court expected to decide whether to grant temporary stay of players’ injunction, reinstating NFL lockout.”

Clayton also changed his reporting to say that the decision hadn’t come down yet.

“Well, a stay at least is still being decided by the Eighth Circuit Court,” Clayton said. “A decision, according to sources in the clerk’s office, should come down this afternoon.”

My own guess is that someone in ESPN’s newsroom saw the report from Michael Silver of Yahoo that we referenced in our previous item, and that the report was misunderstood: Silver’s report said that the players expect the owners to get the stay, not that the stay had actually been granted.

So we’ll keep our eyes on the latest developments. And we’ll try not to jump the gun.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

cliffy sounds like he has some serious resentment issues with the national football league...if you don't like it, don't watch it, right? :?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

cliffy sounds like he has some serious resentment issues with the national football league...if you don't like it, don't watch it, right? :?

haha, I do. I just don't ge the hype. I watch the Giants and other big games and that is about it.

You can not watch it, but you can't avoid it. It's literally everywhere.

NFL was my first sports love. I still like the sport, and am probably hopelessly addicted. But I have nowhere near the passion I used to have. When the Eagles choked again in the playoffs I didn't even care. I was just happy they didn't string me along for a couple rounds and they got it over with fast.

Between the excessive amount of commercials, all the injuries, the inane replay challenges that take forever to review, it's just not that much fun to watch. It seems like you need to have money on the game or fantasy players involved to keep one interested.

You can not watch it, but you can't avoid it. It's literally everywhere.

NFL was my first sports love. I still like the sport, and am probably hopelessly addicted. But I have nowhere near the passion I used to have. When the Eagles choked again in the playoffs I didn't even care. I was just happy they didn't string me along for a couple rounds and they got it over with fast.

Between the excessive amount of commercials, all the injuries, the inane replay challenges that take forever to review, it's just not that much fun to watch. It seems like you need to have money on the game or fantasy players involved to keep one interested.

sucks you feel that way man. but every sport goes through stretches when they lose fans for one reason or another. baseball certainly went through the depths of hell not too long ago and still faces the possibility of losing a large part of an entire generation of young fans.

i would think years from now people could point to the 2010 season as the peak of the nfl's populartiy. the tv ratings were astronomical. with the labor stuff and people not happy with rule changes, it is bound to fall back down at some point.

that said, i still love it. every sunday in the fall is an event for so many differnt types of people (men/women/kids/gamblers/non gamblers etc etc etc). no other sport is like that. that uniquenss is one of the main reasons for it's popularity. of course the gambling and fantasy stuff is awesome too...then again every sport has those aspects. people just enjoy football more.
    www.myspace.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Fuck the NFL.

No shit. Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing people rag on the NBA like the NFL is anything of a better organization.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Fuck the NFL.

No shit. Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing people rag on the NBA like the NFL is anything of a better organization.

Well, the NFL is a much better run league. I think that's pretty obvious. The issue with the NFL is owners greed. The owners are all making money and now they want more. They look like a bunch of greedy jagoffs.

The NBA, on the other hand, is in pretty bad shape. A lot of teams are losing money. I think the NBA labor issues are going to turn out to be much worse than the NFL, unfortunately. This comes at an awful time too...the amount of talent in the NBA right now is the best it has been in a long, long time. The ratings for the playoffs are already way up. Any work stoppage will kill all this momentum the NBA has built up.

Let's just hope both leagues can get this shit figured out.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the only reason I watch non-eagles games is because I love betting on the games. the nfl product stinks
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Perfect summary. You only forgot that the rules suck
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Fuck the NFL.

Well, the NFL is a much better run league. I think that's pretty obvious. The issue with the NFL is owners greed. The owners are all making money and now they want more. They look like a bunch of greedy jagoffs.

The NBA, on the other hand, is in pretty bad shape. A lot of teams are losing money. I think the NBA labor issues are going to turn out to be much worse than the NFL, unfortunately. This comes at an awful time too...the amount of talent in the NBA right now is the best it has been in a long, long time. The ratings for the playoffs are already way up. Any work stoppage will kill all this momentum the NBA has built up.

Let's just hope both leagues can get this shit figured out.

this is right on the money.

the nba was more enjoyable this year than it has in years. and there's a chance the ratings for celtics/heat will be higher than what the world series got last year....

however, they seriously need to iron a lot of shit out. if it means having a condensed season, i'm okay with that. the '99 season was only about 50 games and that was fun as hell. a sprint to the finish.
    www.myspace.com