The Appalachian Trail

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone ever hiked parts or the whole trail? I'd like to try a 50 mile (or so) stretch and was wondering if anyone had any experience(s) they could share.
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HarvtronHarvtron Posts: 148
    I took a summer class my Freshman year where we hiked part of the trail. We branched off and went on some other trail. It was in PA, that's all I know. Our leader guy did the whole trail once and was planning on doing it again. He had a sick tattoo that started from his lower back and went up to his left four arm. The tattoo was of the trail and every state he went through and a picture of some event that happened in each state. Cool guy, one day it would be cool to do the whole trail. :lol::lol::lol:
    Camden NJ night 1 6/19/2008 (one of the best days of my life!)

Music is the engine to my Imagination and Pearl Jam is the fuel for that engine.
  • citizen54citizen54 Posts: 64
    Do it.

I've not done much of the trail -- all of Virginia, when I was much much much younger, parts of New Hampshire, and a good part of Maryland. The Maryland stretch is much easier than Virginia and NH and might be one of the easiest parts of the Trail. I've read that Pennsylvania is one of the toughest segments. I don't know what portion you're thinking of, but people say be careful in some of the really redneck states. Hillbillies apparently don't like hikers.

Also, if you haven't read A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson, definitely check that out. He's funny but also gives you a good sense of the monotony.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Thanks! Yes, I have read a Walk in the woods...hilarious! I love Bryson's books
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    the parts up here in NY, you have to be careful, Ticks, Lyme, unreal.
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    Or you could just read/listen to Billy Bryson's A WALK IN THE WOODS which is a very good book about walking The Appalachian Trail. :D
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
    selfish bump
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    A 50 mile stretch wouldn't be too bad. You would at least stay in the same climate. A friend of mine did the whole thing years ago and had to have sets of different clothes mailed to post offices along the way as the climate changed- Georgia to Maine takes a long time. I've done parts of it in New York around where it runs through Harriman State Park and parts in Virginia in Shenandoah.

Apparently I can walk some of it in Ireland now, WTF.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 22043.html

When do you plan on doing it and in what state?
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Anyone ever hiked parts or the whole trail? I'd like to try a 50 mile (or so) stretch and was wondering if anyone had any experience(s) they could share.

Is your question riddled with metaphors?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mark_Sanford_disappearance_and_extramarital_affair
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • I read A Walk In The Woods and bought a kick ass frameless backpack. That is as far as I ever got. :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    bought a kick ass frameless backpack. That is as far as I ever got. :lol:

i knew the punchline before reading it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've done small portions of it in Georgia. It is great.

I admire anyone who has done the whole trail and got their "trail name" and everything.

It is such a cool thing. I am no where near the shape i would need to be in to do that though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    here is a video of a guy who did it...6 months 2,200 miles in a 5 minute stop motion video

http://vimeo.com/20218520
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    RKCNDY wrote:
    here is a video of a guy who did it...6 months 2,200 miles in a 5 minute stop motion video

Thanks for the link RKCNDY, that was great. I loved the combination of vocal-less music with an utter lack of people in the video. It was almost hypnotic.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    eddiec wrote:
    A 50 mile stretch wouldn't be too bad. You would at least stay in the same climate. A friend of mine did the whole thing years ago and had to have sets of different clothes mailed to post offices along the way as the climate changed- Georgia to Maine takes a long time. I've done parts of it in New York around where it runs through Harriman State Park and parts in Virginia in Shenandoah.

Apparently I can walk some of it in Ireland now, WTF.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 22043.html

When do you plan on doing it and in what state?
    no idea...maybe the carolinas? I figured the climate is mild if the right time of year, plus the terrian is not too difficult and great scenery (i'm guessing)
    HeavyHands wrote:

Is your question riddled with metaphors?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mark_Sanford_disappearance_and_extramarital_affair
    :lol: ; nah, I'd bring the wife along :P
    RKCNDY wrote:

that was awesome, thanks for posting!
  • So this distant dream of mine has become quite an obsession as of late and I'm really starting to save, hoping this becomes a reality over the next couple of years. Even though I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it, I decided to open an account at GoFundMe as I'd heard a couple amazing success stories. I'm not sure if this is even allowed (so Mods forgive me and remove if this is against the rules), but here's a link if anyone would like to donate a few bucks to help nudge me along the way. Thanks for reading and cheers to all of you!
    http://www.gofundme.com/6qez3k
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    AT is very cool. We came close to doing it this year but work engagements just won't allow it. the sections with the greatest views are in Smoky NP, White Mountains, and Maine. They are also some of the busiest trail sections so plan on going out of season for solitude, or plan it for when the thru hikers come and meet some. Late May is Appalachian Trail Days in Damascus, VA and is a must for anybody who loves the AT. In that area is Grayson Highlands which has some amazing dayhikes on the AT near the highest point in Virginia. Also wild ponies. Yep wild ponies, that's what I said. We got harassed by a black bear at Grayson in Oct., the weekend after we saw PJ in pitt and buff!!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    total cost of the trip
    3500ish if you sleep on the ground every night and always eat BP food (very difficult in mid-atlantic states where there is a hostel every few miles!
    8000ish if you make too many trips in town...have heard of many people running out of money because they want to stay in town/drink and party with their new trail friends
    of course that doesn't include the cost of putting your life on hold for 6 months, to which it is hard to put a dollar value.
    and about 1000-1500 dollars of gear if you aren't already a fully geared 3 season backapacker