Think it's time to go....

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Lost my girlfriend, will lose my house (planning to sell it, although, she asked me if I could rent my part.. ), planning to see my boss to quit my job...

I got a job that gives me the opportunity to travel. I'm thinking about leaving for a year, traveling around the globe but i'm a bit scared to leave everything behind me..

Any of you had a similar experience ? You did it?
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I've never done it, so I can't help you there :( , but I would do it in a minute if I could. If there is nothing holding you back, DO IT!! It's only a year, and will probably be one of the best of your life. I can understand the apprehension, but it would be a grand adventure! :)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Nope, but a fresh start has lots of possibilities.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Nope, but a fresh start has lots of possibilities.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    do it if you can, or you'll regret it down the road
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you have to do things for the right reasons ... giving it all up and traveling to escape things at home - is generally, not the best solution ...

i travel a lot and i love it but it's not for everyone ... you have to be independent and you need to be able to appreciate what places/people have to offer ... you have to be comfortable with yourself ... it's not always a romantic lifestyle ...
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I had/have a similar situation.......

I chose to stay put and fight through it. For me, it seemed more important to keep my support system close and embrace the few good things that I have going. I have a tendency to isolate myself when I'm depressed so not having friends around wouldn't go over well. I've been just trying to fill in all the voids in my life to try and lay the foundation for some happiness later. I think I have made the right decision, but we will see.......

There aren't a lot of sunny skies here. But I fight through it and try to learn from the feelings and experiences.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Business Travel generally sucks...

You never get to do all the fun stuff you think you will...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • like the other said.....it completely depends on your personality type. Are you ok with meeting new people on the fly? going places completely by yourself? being on your own for lengthy periods of time? can you enjoy life experiences solo? do you get homesick really easily?

honestly, if I had no wife and kids, I'd like to think I'd do something like that. but the honest truth is I never would. :oops:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    my sister was in a similar situation a couple years ago. She signed up with Bunac and traveled to Australia for about 9 months. Lived in Sydney and then traveled north up the coast for the last half of her trip. Worked a couple odd jobs along the way and had the time of her life and made some lifelong friends along the way as well. She was even able to go back to her job when she returned (which is probably a rare thing). Her plan now is to do the same in Ireland next year if all goes as planned. Like the others said, I think it totally depends on your specific circumstances, but if I didnt have obligations preventing me from doing something like this, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's certainly an experience that very few people take on in their lives.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    Do it!!!

It isn't the same as running away. It is more like taking a break, enjoy it fully. Business trips may not be fun, but you can make it fun. Talk to strangers, visit local museums, libraries, live music.

Send postcards, and of course shoot some photographs. Years from now you can look back and enjoy.

McCready00 wrote:
    Lost my girlfriend, will lose my house (planning to sell it, although, she asked me if I could rent my part.. ), planning to see my boss to quit my job...

I got a job that gives me the opportunity to travel. I'm thinking about leaving for a year, traveling around the globe but i'm a bit scared to leave everything behind me..

Any of you had a similar experience ? You did it?
  • Take this opportunity and use it to re-define where you will end up in the next ten years. It is THE craziest, scariest and yet it ends up being THE crazy-most-fun thing you will ever do. I have been stuck striking out anew many times, although through the years I've learned this: always make sure you have a sustenance plan. Other than that, drop the reins and let this beast run its course, and see where you end up.

The human soul re-defines its own perameters about every ten to fifteen years. So if you look at it like that, this is drastic, and scary, but, it's pretty well a natural thing too. I say good luck.. keep in touch, and share any cool lessons that you learn along the way, with us. And above all, when you take this journey, remain open to things you never would have thought about before. ( within reason and logic as well as the law of course ). These are intensely frightening odds but you'll be surprised at how resourceful and creative you can be.. You'll also look back and think.. why'd I wait so long.. Hope things fair well.. Strike out on a new adventure, have fun, and learn some things about yourself.
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    Do it. You will feel like you belong to the world and that feeling is amazing.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I did something similar a few years ago only under much different circumstances. Everything probably isn't going to work out exactly as you envision it, but sometimes things like this (doing something completely on your own) allows you to discover things about yourself you never knew. Much like with everything else in life, if it feels right to you, then do it. If it doesn't then don't force it. Good luck my man.
  • i think you should go for it - sounds like you need a break and travelling is an adventure - you'll be sure to meet new interesting people, see amazing things, become a part of new cultures. you'll discover parts of yourself you never knew about, you'll have life changing experiences. everyone's pretty much summed it up already - do it :thumbup:

good luck for whatever you choose :)