Favorite Auteur (or filmmaker)?

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I recently had to write an extensive essay on an auteur.

If you are unsure what an auteur is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auteur

I chose Martin Scorsese, who I knew was director of some of my most favorite films. Upon doing a lot of research, and watching a good deal of his films from a stand-point of analyzing style, technique, and consistencies I learned a lot about the auteur theory, and Scorsese as being one.

The ultimate auteur, in my eyes, is Alfred Hitchcock. When you watch a Hitchcock film, it is obvious it's a Hitchcock film. Tarantino, Tim Burton, and Spielberg are other notables.

Based upon the theory, and the fact that when you place it next to certain names who are considered auteurs... it slowly becomes obvious as to how/why they are. James Cameron is also an auteur, as well as Clint Eastwood.

So, anyone have a favorite?

Mine is easily Scorsese. A lot of his films are my favorites, and many themes and elements in his films are closely related to his life experiences. I also think that Raging Bull is easily one of the greatest films to ever be made. It goes so much further than the story. When you learn about eveyrthing that was behind the scenes in that film, it is mind-blowing. The intricate details of the filmmaking and how each boxing scene was carefully storyboarded and took six weeks to shoot, when really, the boxing scenes are a minimal part of the screenplay. De Niro's method acting is masterful. The Academy did something right when awarding him with Best Actor for the film, because he certainly deserved it.

Taxi Driver is another great Scorsese film, which Martin himself admittedly said that Travis Bickle was inspired and closely based aroudn the way him, and writer Paul Schrader were feeling about the world and themselves at that time in their lives.

Goodfellas, Gangs Of New York, Mean Streets... Martin Scorsese has really made some fantastic films.
Let's discuss auteurs, or in general, film and filmmakers.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Seymore Butts.

His vision was trail-blazing and paved the way for everyone else who followed his
    lead.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Seymore Butts.

His vision was trail-blazing and paved the way for everyone else who followed his
    lead.

:lol:

He certainly was quite the innovator. :geek:

I see you have used a poster for one of his films as your avatar? ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I hope this thread gets more replies to slightly cover up my explosion of film geek-out. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    contemporary - i will watch anything tarantino or the cohen brothers put out ...
    old school - it would have to be sergio leone
    polaris_x wrote:
    contemporary - i will watch anything tarantino or the cohen brothers put out ...
    old school - it would have to be sergio leone

I love the Coen Bros stuff too.

Never watched any Leone, but I definitely know who he is. Recommend any titles in particular?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I love the Coen Bros stuff too.

Never watched any Leone, but I definitely know who he is. Recommend any titles in particular?

besides the obvious (eastwood movies)... i would say "my name is nobody" ... one of my favourites ...
    Foolish me, I have seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Sofia Coppola
  • PapPap Posts: 28,803
    Jim Jarmusch --- 1) Bown By Law (1986) , 2) Dead Man (1995) and 3) Broken Flowers (2005)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I could go on about this subject for hours, dc, as I have much education in film studies and useless knowledge. I'm gonna go with Orson Welles, based only on his work on Citizen Kane. The true definition of an auteur. Runner up goes to Stanley Kubrick.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Peter Weir

Gallipoli (1981)
    The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
    Witness (1985)
    The Mosquito Coast (1986)
    Dead Poets Society (1989)
    Green Card (1990)
    Fearless (1993)
    The Truman Show (1998)
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
    The Way Back (2010)
    I could go on about this subject for hours, dc, as I have much education in film studies and useless knowledge. I'm gonna go with Orson Welles, based only on his work on Citizen Kane. The true definition of an auteur. Runner up goes to Stanley Kubrick.
    I used to think that Citizen Kane was stupid and irrelevant... wow, was I mistaken. That is one beautiful piece of work.

I love the cinematography in that film. It's still amazing to this day.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    The true definition of an auteur.
    No love for Hitchcock?

Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock film out of the ones I've seen.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    cameron crowe (and before the children say it, it's not because of any relationship to pj)

he's probably not an auteur but he is probably my favorite film maker

eastwood, scorsese, lumet, pakula...there are many others
    edited April 2011
    norm wrote:
    cameron crowe (and before the children say it, it's not because of any relationship to pj)

he's probably not an auteur but he is probably my favorite film maker

eastwood, scorsese, lumet, pakula...there are many others

Crowe's a good one. He was included on the hand-out given to me by my professor, so I'll consider him one.

Ingmar Bergman is a notable originator too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    dcfaithful wrote:
    No love for Hitchcock?

hitch is great and rw is my favorite...in my 1 of only 2 film classes in college, we were asked to analyze a movie...i decided on rw...sure, you're 19 no problem analyzing hitch :roll: :lol:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    dcfaithful wrote:
    No love for Hitchcock?

Yeah, Hitchcock kicks major ass. I spent a whole month back in 02 watching every single one of his films. He gets a lot of criticism sometimes, but one of the greats for sure.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    norm wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    No love for Hitchcock?

hitch is great and rw is my favorite...in my 1 of only 2 film classes in college, we were asked to analyze a movie...i decided on rw...sure, you're 19 no problem analyzing hitch :roll: :lol:

Hitchcock has a plethora of auteur characteristics to analyze, it couldn't have been too bad.... but for a partying 19 year old, I can see the difficulties that may arise.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Pap wrote:
    Jim Jarmusch --- 1) Down By Law (1986) , 2) Dead Man (1995) and 3) Broken Flowers (2005)
    and Terry Gilliam
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• I had to an essay about an auteur too. I chose Stanley Kubrick who many argue was the last true auteur in film making.

His camera technique using interesting use of the shot/reverse shot that often parodied classicism to underlay the tone of the sequence is truely superb.

and of course, the tracking shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCeBeS_OGso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJSFItosn7s

Both sequences uses the characters realationship with the space he finds himself in to provoke a response from the audience. In the Shining it is to show how small Danny is and mirrors the threatening aspect of the hotel by using a low-angle shot while he travels through this maze. The maze I guess is a reflection on the pysche as the characters go through their pyschological change and this also happend when Jack is chasing Danny at the end the same comparisons can be drawn. The Clockwork Orange shows Alex in all his confidence and it looks like he 'owns' the space he occupies.

You could probably spend 3 hours discussing the use of music in his films too :D

The most amazing thing about Kubrick that his films spanned most genres and he made masterpieces in each field. Period drama, war, comedy, horror etc.

One of best sequences you are likely ever to see in cinema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Q3X5Gw5I4
  • you have already named the greats:

Crowe
    Coen bros
    Scorcese
    Tarantino
    Kubrick

but no love yet for David Lynch or Darren Aronofsky???

one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time was directed by Darren Aronfsky - Requiem for a Dream

good topic DC... finally something thought provoking!! :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

you have already named the greats:

Crowe
    Coen bros
    Scorcese
    Tarantino
    Kubrick

one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time was directed by Darren Aronfsky - Requiem for a Dream

This forum needed some artistic and mental stimulation.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I had to an essay about an auteur too. I chose Stanley Kubrick who many argue was the last true auteur in film making.

His camera technique using interesting use of the shot/reverse shot that often parodied classicism to underlay the tone of the sequence is truely superb.

and of course, the tracking shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCeBeS_OGso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJSFItosn7s

Both sequences uses the characters realationship with the space he finds himself in to provoke a response from the audience. In the Shining it is to show how small Danny is and mirrors the threatening aspect of the hotel by using a low-angle shot while he travels through this maze. The maze I guess is a reflection on the pysche as the characters go through their pyschological change and this also happend when Jack is chasing Danny at the end the same comparisons can be drawn. The Clockwork Orange shows Alex in all his confidence and it looks like he 'owns' the space he occupies.

You could probably spend 3 hours discussing the use of music in his films too :D

The most amazing thing about Kubrick that his films spanned most genres and he made masterpieces in each field. Period drama, war, comedy, horror etc.

One of best sequences you are likely ever to see in cinema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Q3X5Gw5I4

I was waiting for you, my fellow film buff.

Ah, the beloved tracking shot. A staple in Scorsese's techniques, along with slow-motion shots, and freeze-framing.

I haven't watched much Kubrick, but what I have seen is very distinct.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • HarvtronHarvtron Posts: 148
    Stanley Kubrick!
    Camden NJ night 1 6/19/2008 (one of the best days of my life!)

Music is the engine to my Imagination and Pearl Jam is the fuel for that engine.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I admit it, I went to film school. So - favorite auteur would have to be Francois Truffaut.

I'm a big Hitchcock fan though, hard to pick a favorite. Shadow of a Doubt is pretty great. Vertigo, too.
  • dcfaithful wrote:

Ah, the beloved tracking shot. A staple in Scorsese's techniques, along with slow-motion shots, and freeze-framing.

Dr Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, Space 2001 are all essential viewing. Full Metal Jacket is fantastic too.

I need a rewatch of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull soon, it's been a while.

Other Autuers not mentioned yet are:

Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, delicatessen, A very long engagement)
    Powell and Pressburger (A matter of life and death, The red shoes, The life and death of colonel blimp, Black Narcissus)
    Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien)
    Park Chan-Wook (Sympathy for Lady Vengence, Oldboy, Thirst)
    David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai)

and probably my favourite, Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, Kagemusha)

David Lynch is definitely an auteur. 'Eraserhead' is one messed up film about male parental horror :D but 'Lost Highway' is my favourite. Seek that out if you haven't seen it.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    mel brooks
    blake edwards
    and
    the farrelly brothers
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Mamoru Oshii

James Cameron
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    dcfaithful wrote:

Dr Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, Space 2001 are all essential viewing. Full Metal Jacket is fantastic too.

I need a rewatch of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull soon, it's been a while.

Other Autuers not mentioned yet are:

Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, delicatessen, A very long engagement)
    Powell and Pressburger (A matter of life and death, The red shoes, The life and death of colonel blimp, Black Narcissus)
    Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien)
    Park Chan-Wook (Sympathy for Lady Vengence, Oldboy, Thirst)
    David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai)

and probably my favourite, Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, Kagemusha)

David Lynch is definitely an auteur. 'Eraserhead' is one messed up film about male parental horror :D but 'Lost Highway' is my favourite. Seek that out if you haven't seen it.

How could I forget David Lean? And Powell and Pressburger - I just saw Black Narcissus on TV recently and it's so good. (I've never seen Col. Blimp though...)
  • Mamoru Oshii

Ghost in the Shell 8-)

Although no one beats Hayao Miyazaki for animation.