Options

Alright, How Did Pearl Jam Really Get It's Name?

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
edited April 2008 in The Porch
For all this time I believed the whole Vedder's G-ma's name is "Pearl" and she had really cool jam, hence the name. Now Wikipedia is saying Ament came up w/Pearl and they went to see Neil Young "jamming" and got the name that way. Which story is right? I never know to fully believe Wikipedia.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    For all this time I believed the whole Vedder's G-ma's name is "Pearl" and she had really cool jam, hence the name. Now Wikipedia is saying Ament came up w/Pearl and they went to see Neil Young "jamming" and got the name that way. Which story is right? I never know to fully believe Wikipedia.

Thanks.

In recent years Jeff has said this in interviews. The grandma story is just a story Ed made up. All those seattle bands back then just made shit up, just to amuse themselves, and everyone believed what they said.
  • Options
    Damn, I like the Grandman story better.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    If you think about it a little it is a really polite name for a male bodily fluid. That is the fact of the name.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430

Thanks.

You can fully believe Wikipedia if you follow the references. In this case, the article references the 2006 Rolling Stone article, "The Second Coming of Pearl Jam". You can read that article here: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/pearl_jam_the_second_coming
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    You can fully believe Wikipedia if you follow the references. In this case, the article references the 2006 Rolling Stone article, "The Second Coming of Pearl Jam". You can read that article here: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/pearl_jam_the_second_coming

Thanks...I just scanned the article and saw the Ament story. Will check out the article.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Wikipedia is actually a good source of information if there are references... which there usually are. The wikipedia staff removes garbage from the entries at a constant rate so there isn't much worry about things not being accurate.
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I think Jeff stated that when they had to change their name from Mookie Blaylock, he came up with just "Pearl" - but they weren't crazy about it & it needed something with it.......
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    Pearl Jam came out of Mother Love Bone.

Mother Love Bone= giant boner

Pearl Jam=sperm

i only wish i was joking.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    ovechkin8 wrote:

Pearl Jam=sperm

hahahahaha

mother love bone = boner
    pearl jam = sperm
    pearl jam "came" from mother love bone

you are a freaking genius
  • Options

That was a good article, thanks. Hadn't read it before. Johnny Ramone, huh? He opened up a bit. That was an interesting bunch, Zombie, Gallo, Ramone and Vedder.
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    ovechkin8 wrote:

Pearl Jam=sperm

lephty wrote:
    hahahahaha

mother love bone = boner
    pearl jam = sperm
    pearl jam "came" from mother love bone

you are a freaking genius

This has been a rumor for years and years, nothing we haven't heard before a thousand times. The only thing is it isn't true.
  • Options
    lol
    btw, ovechkin choked:)
    ovechkin8 wrote:

Pearl Jam=sperm

Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    ovechkin didn't choke...but either way, i'm a ranger fan and my boys are still in it.
  • Options
    ha, hopefully we can continue this in the east con finals
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    ovechkin8 wrote:

Pearl Jam=sperm

You can see Eddie sort of embarrassed about the name in the DVD Imagine in Cornice when he's talking to the guy with the organ.
    "I don't know what it means"
    I call BS that he doesn't know. I think it's one of those things that got bigger than they ever thought it would and now live with it.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I don't think Ed was embarassed as much as playing for the cameras filming the scene. The origin of the name Pearl Jam has always shrouded in mystery, myth, fable, lie, double entendre, rumor, etc.. He was just being coy.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    kh65 wrote:
    If you think about it a little it is a really polite name for a male bodily fluid. That is the fact of the name.

dam!! my favorite band could of been named Pearl Splooge or Splooge Jam??!! :D:D:D
  • Options

Thanks.

the wiki story is correct. Jeff did some kind of internet radio interview when avacado came out and told the story of how they came up with it. he said that the psychedelic jam story was a huge myth that ed made up on the spot just annoy reporters. He said the whole band started to get annoyed during interviewd being asked the same questions over and over, so they started to get creative at times.
  • Options
    the wiki story is correct. Jeff did some kind of internet radio interview when avacado came out and told the story of how they came up with it. he said that the psychedelic jam story was a huge myth that ed made up on the spot just annoy reporters. He said the whole band started to get annoyed during interviewd being asked the same questions over and over, so they started to get creative at times.

yeah, i just read the article. Very good piece.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Who cares, it's actually a really great name for a band.

I'm sure there's a shitload of bands who wishes they had a better band name. *cough* The Who, Alice In Chains, Goo Goo Dolls, others *cough*
    These bands are good but their names are pretty lame and cheesy.

I think the singer of Green Day once said he hated his band's name and thinks it's one of the worst names ever. He's right! :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Who cares, it's actually a really great name for a band.

I'm sure there's a shitload of bands who wishes they had a better band name. *cough* The Who, Alice In Chains, Goo Goo Dolls, others *cough*
    These bands are good but their names are pretty lame and cheesy.

I remember when Alice in chains first came out and my buddy asked me

"do you like Alice in chains?" and i replied "only to my headboard." :D

(AIC is one of my top 5 bands)

and "Green day" is cool if you 4:20
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036

AIC was actually my favorite between 1994-February 3rd, 1998....then YIELD came out!!!!!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Oops.. Wrong thread..

Anyways... It's Eddies great grandmother Pearl the name is from... yeah right...
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:

Pearl Jam=sperm

Completely 100% true.
    07-11-98, 07-13-98, 07-14-98, 10-30-00, 10-31-00, 06-01-03, 06-02-03, 06-03-03, 06-05-03,
    06-06-03, 10-23-04, 07-09-06, 07-15-06, 07-16-06, 07-18-06.
  • Options

They came up with Alice in Chains as a joke reference to Pretty Boy Floyd I believe. May have been another hair band with a similar type name.
    07-11-98, 07-13-98, 07-14-98, 10-30-00, 10-31-00, 06-01-03, 06-02-03, 06-03-03, 06-05-03,
    06-06-03, 10-23-04, 07-09-06, 07-15-06, 07-16-06, 07-18-06.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    REALLY??
    as annoyed as I am reading this thread??
    Peace
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    hathnoname wrote:
    Completely 100% true.

Nope.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    Want to close this thread out?

From The Sky I Scrape:

The one we believe is this one, straight from Ed:

"I remember throwing words and meanings around for band names,..... I was writing songs daily and they seemed more important than the name of the band,.... I didn't grasp at the time how representative it may become,....not to mention we were just making a little record that few people would ever hear,......

so the words came, 2,... one of which was Pearl. The name of my great grandmother,..... married to a contortionist...... He used to fit himself into a suitcase.... One in a long line of peculiar individuals.

Pearl is also a surfing term when you go headfirst and eat it on the face of a wave....

Janis Joplins greatest record was called Pearl,..... And of course, Earl the Pearl Monroe who shared the court with Phil Jackson I believe,.... (I often tell people that it was Phils initials that led us to our name..... ) I thought that was much better than the rumor that Pearl Jam was some sort of slang for "ejaculated liquid"..... harsh,.....

No,..... I feel that the best justification for the name is in reference to the pearl itself,... and the natural process from which a pearl comes from,...... Basically, taking excrement or waste and turning it into something beautiful,...... This is how our band began,..... taking emotions that we wrestled with personally and letting them evolve into songs,..... In this way the songs became vehicles in which to deal with it all,..... Add the volume of loud instruments, amplified vocals,..... moving chord changes,.... And it wasn't just shit anymore,.... It was kind of beautiful,.... powerful,,...... UNCULTURED! As Johnny Rotten would say later,

Anger is an Energy...... And Shit can be Beautiful. the proof is in the pearl."

See you at the show!
    Peace
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    bigshashabigshasha Posts: 38
    eddie confirmed at the wiltern that he did indeed have a grandmom named pearl, but she did not make jam
    I wanna run like the lions.
  • Options
    ozpjmanozpjman Posts: 870
    In a radio special on an Australian radio station at the end of 2006, after Avocado was released, the interview with Ed talked about how the name came about. Whilst Ed never said the following, the announcer said he was told in the interview the name of the band was sourced from a surfing term (as was mentioned in a previous post from bgirl59):

Paddling into a wave and getting crunched head on is Pearl, and hearing someone he got jammed, and the name came about.

So many versions though, I love the variations.

What we should really be asking though, who is being sung about in the song 'You're so Vain'????
    Stars walk the red carpet because they're famous - I walk the toilet paper because im the shit.