Motorcycle Question

Comments

• WaveRyder wrote:
    watch it dude. I'm 26 years old. I've owned a harley since i was 19 when i bought bike brand new. Not once have a i had an oil leak or any other problem with the bike. It rides great. It fits me perfectly, and its fast. Best of all, I can go to any bike rally in the country and not look like a dbag.

People who knock harleys have either had a bad experience with an individual who rides a harley or are suffering from a severe inferiority complex, probably stemming from one's inability to afford a machine as nice and well made as Harley Davidson, or you just hate American made things.

And what the hell is a lighting 1200?

A Lightning 1200.

P2231878small.JPG

A sport bike with a Harley Sportster engine.

I've had two Buells. The first was a bit too gutless but it was a beginner's bike so I don't blame it... that's what I wanted. The Lighting was one of my favorite bikes ever although it was next to impossible to canyon carve in it because it wasn't really able to handle a feather touch to the throttle without bounding forward. And starting/stopping in city traffic was horrible.

But at highway speed it was great and most importantly, I looked SO hot on that bike and got plenty of tail. :lol:

It's kinda cute you try to slag me off for being poor. I own three motorcycles at the moment (Honda Hornet 599, Vulcan 900 custom and a Yamaha FZ1) but I've had plenty over the ages. I also haven't really had "bad" experiences with individual riders so much as I don't really associate with people who go to rallys where they ride a bit and then stand around in parking lot and drink beer. In SoCal there's so many roads and canyons and highways to ride, we tend to do those 3-or-4-day trips where you ride a lot, see a lot of scenery and, yes... get to bed early so we can ride again in the morning.

And really? I "Just hate American things?" Is that Tea Bagger crap really necessary every time someone likes something you don't?
  • WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    WaveRyder wrote:
    watch it dude. I'm 26 years old. I've owned a harley since i was 19 when i bought bike brand new. Not once have a i had an oil leak or any other problem with the bike. It rides great. It fits me perfectly, and its fast. Best of all, I can go to any bike rally in the country and not look like a dbag.

People who knock harleys have either had a bad experience with an individual who rides a harley or are suffering from a severe inferiority complex, probably stemming from one's inability to afford a machine as nice and well made as Harley Davidson, or you just hate American made things.

And what the hell is a lighting 1200?

A Lightning 1200.

P2231878small.JPG

A sport bike with a Harley Sportster engine.

I've had two Buells. The first was a bit too gutless but it was a beginner's bike so I don't blame it... that's what I wanted. The Lighting was one of my favorite bikes ever although it was next to impossible to canyon carve in it because it wasn't really able to handle a feather touch to the throttle without bounding forward. And starting/stopping in city traffic was horrible.

But at highway speed it was great and most importantly, I looked SO hot on that bike and got plenty of tail. :lol:

It's kinda cute you try to slag me off for being poor. I own three motorcycles at the moment (Honda Hornet 599, Vulcan 900 custom and a Yamaha FZ1) but I've had plenty over the ages. I also haven't really had "bad" experiences with individual riders so much as I don't really associate with people who go to rallys where they ride a bit and then stand around in parking lot and drink beer. In SoCal there's so many roads and canyons and highways to ride, we tend to do those 3-or-4-day trips where you ride a lot, see a lot of scenery and, yes... get to bed early so we can ride again in the morning.

And really? I "Just hate American things?" Is that Tea Bagger crap really necessary every time someone likes something you don't?

i live in south dakota. dont tell me about actually riding. You own three motorcycles...ok.......combined they probably arent worth what a harley is.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    i live in south dakota. dont tell me about actually riding. You own three motorcycles...ok.......combined they probably arent worth what a harley is.

:roll:

Um... were you also planning on showing us pictures of your penis so we can compare?
  • WaveRyder wrote:

Alternate snarky answer: You mean "cost," right? Because girl, your Harley ain't worth a quarter of what you paid for it.
  • WaveRyder wrote:

Final snarky answer: I'm guessing you love your bike but have no need for a passenger seat, do you?
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    :lol::lol:

You two need to find an empty garage somewhere so you can poke this out like men.
    Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Maintainer

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-15 ... B0009IBJAS

$20

Sweet, I'll pick one up. Thank you!

...and I dig the bike, but my budget is unfortunately rigid... and I don't have any shoes to go with yellow. :ugeek:
    81 wrote:
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2337637960.html

how about an 04 V star 650. 7700 miles. $2495

i have no idea what nada is on it.

...but this is interesting. I gave up stalking craigslist because I wasn't finding anything, and then I worked something out with a guy I know. Now, of course, there's some stuff (including a rebel for 1499). I may have to reconsider.
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358

no need to mock rallys or generalize people who go to them. maybe thats your experience seeing them on tv, maybe not. i work for the army and i was part of a group of people who started an annual event to support veterans. various clubs from around where i live participate and we generate a lot of money. half the proceeds and donated toys go to toys for tots which the marines help sponsor. and there are various rallys thoughout the year that are centered around donations for children who half life threatening diseases or to raise awareness. not all riders spend the night partying and sleeping till noon, unable to ride early in the morning.

we all have different reasons for riding. we all could argue back and forth about what we like and hate about each other. so dont get me started about guys who have crotch rockets, who ride in shorts and tshirts poppping wheelies at 90 mph. i havent had enough coffee yeyt
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    so dont get me started about guys who have crotch rockets, who ride in shorts and tshirts poppping wheelies at 90 mph.

don't forget the helmet hanging off the back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • so dont get me started about guys who have crotch rockets, who ride in shorts and tshirts poppping wheelies at 90 mph. i havent had enough coffee yeyt

no. Please do... Those idiots drive me nuts.

They're almost as bad as the brats who brag about how much their bikes cost. :lol:

In all seriousness, you're right... We all ride for different reasons. I've been to a few rallys and never really understood the point. Seemed a bit too much like show and tell. I've never, for instance, had anyone on one of my rides tell me I was jealous of his bike because of how much he spent on it, moments after saying he didn't look like a douche bag.

I used to have a podcast about all the rides my buddies did here in southern California. Was a lot of fun if not a lot of work to keep it going. I should try to start it back up again.
  • skippybrew wrote:
    :lol::lol:

You two need to find an empty garage somewhere so you can poke this out like men.

Not sure he could take it.... He left pretty quick after the penis size comment :twisted:
    some people have to sleep........

sorry, i dont like riding plastic machines. If i knew how to upload a photo on here, i'll gladly show you my bike. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with anyone, i just took offense to a blanket bash on harleys and the people who ride them, prince of dorkness.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 4 years old, got my first street bike when i was 15 and my first harley when I was 19.

So don't think you're gonna 'learn' me anything about motorcycles, girl.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    WaveRyder wrote:
    it was only a matter of time until this thread turned into a boys-only club.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Lukin66 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    it was only a matter of time until this thread turned into a boys-only club.

I was just returning the favor a being called a girl by his dorkness.

But on the topic of women, more and more women are riding bikes and I think it's great.
    so dont get me started about guys who have crotch rockets, who ride in shorts and tshirts poppping wheelies at 90 mph. i havent had enough coffee yeyt

no. Please do... Those idiots drive me nuts.

They're almost as bad as the brats who brag about how much their bikes cost. :lol:

In all seriousness, you're right... We all ride for different reasons. I've been to a few rallys and never really understood the point. Seemed a bit too much like show and tell. I've never, for instance, had anyone on one of my rides tell me I was jealous of his bike because of how much he spent on it, moments after saying he didn't look like a douche bag.

I used to have a podcast about all the rides my buddies did here in southern California. Was a lot of fun if not a lot of work to keep it going. I should try to start it back up again.

and i wasnt necessarily saying you care about costs of a bike, nor do i, i was merely explaining why
    I
    think many people lash out against Harley's. It perplexes me. It's like saying Cadillac's aren't all they're cracked up to be. You gotta wonder why someone would say that.....
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I've been riding a motorcycle now for around 15 years. I have had numerous bikes over the years, including one Harley. That said, I still don't get why people still spend so much more to wear an HD emblem on their bike. There are plenty of other bikes that are nicer for less money. Take a look at some Victory models and you will see what I'm talking about. Even the Star Raider by Yamaha is nicer. I am not knocking you Harley guys or trying to change your opinion, just stating my views and experience with non-HD motorcycles. To each his own...

Btw, I have been into chopper-type bikes the last few years and have recently owned a Bigdog Pitbull. I am without a bike at the moment, but that won't last too long since I have that 'itch' again.

If anyone has a nice chopper-style bike for sale or knows someone that does on the east coast, I will certainly take a look.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    . That said, I still don't get why people still spend so much more to wear an HD emblem on their bike.

If this conversation was 15 years ago, the answer would be easy. HD's used to hold their value. You could make money off of a Harley. When I was young, my dad would have to order a Harley brand new and wait about 6 months to get it. Every four years he'd sell his bike for 4 to 5 grand more than what he paid for it.

But now Harley makes too many bikes and they lose their value like anything else.

But I think it's more of a cultural thing. I ride a harley because I never thought I'd ride anything else. The sound of a Harley is legendary and unique and can't be replecated. Plus, I've never ridden a bike, without any plexiglass on it, with a smoother ride than a Harley.

But don't get me wrong. I have friends that ride other cruisers that aren't Harley's and love riding with them. No matter what kind of bike you have, it's still a bike and your welcome to ride with me.
  • WaveRyder wrote:

I love it when I get straight guys to flash shade like a ghetto drag queen. :lol:
    WaveRyder wrote:

I love it when I get straight guys to flash shade like a ghetto drag queen. :lol:

how do you know im straight? ;)
  • WaveRyder wrote:

Because you ride a Harley and you're not a lesbian.

Duh. :geek:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Because you ride a Harley and you're not a lesbian.

Duh. :geek:

probably a good barometer but i've met a couple gay guys that ride harley's. But their probably the pitchers in their relationships. :lol:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    I still don't get why people still spend so much more to wear an HD emblem on their bike. There are plenty of other bikes that are nicer for less money. Take a look at some Victory models and you will see what I'm talking about. Even the Star Raider by Yamaha is nicer.

yeah, why would anyone buy a bmw when you can by a KIA...?
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    probably a good barometer but i've met a couple gay guys that ride harley's. But their probably the pitchers in their relationships. :lol:

you'd have to be considering all the damage to your butt you'd get sitting on a bike that rattles as much as a Harley. :lol:

(ok, we need to take this act on the road.)
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    A Kia is nowhere near as nice as a BMW and doesn't have as good of a ride.

The Raider blows away any Harley when it come to style points and has a very smooth ride from my experience with it. However, the Vance and Hines exhaust for it is nowhere near the sound of a Harley or other bikes.
    WaveRyder wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    I still don't get why people still spend so much more to wear an HD emblem on their bike. There are plenty of other bikes that are nicer for less money. Take a look at some Victory models and you will see what I'm talking about. Even the Star Raider by Yamaha is nicer.

yeah, why would anyone buy a bmw when you can by a KIA...?
    Watch it, buddy! I've been driving KIAs for years and...

...oh wait, no. Nevermind.
    WaveRyder wrote:

you'd have to be considering all the damage to your butt you'd get sitting on a bike that rattles as much as a Harley. :lol:

(ok, we need to take this act on the road.)
    My old man and I are planning on ridin to PJ20 wherever it may be. If you got the balls, you should too.
  • WaveRyder wrote:
    My old man and I are planning on ridin to PJ20 wherever it may be. If you got the balls, you should too.

My husband and I have been talking about riding there, too. Been a while since we did a longer road trip like that.