edited October 2011 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    DONT WANT!
    Nature drunk and High
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    DONT WANT!

can't listen from work...what's wrong with it?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    did he really say "immor-f**kin-tality"?

pass.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I'm just not a fan of the singers voice I guess...Eddie is a tough act to follow though. :D Plus there is no feeling in that version imo.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Wow, I lasted 10 seconds on that one - a new record for me.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    terrible
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Another good find from the gecko! Thanks for posting.

I liked the Foals first album, and a lot of my mates love em. I am quite surprised they want to cover Pearl Jam - but I think it's pretty good that they want to.

As for the version itself - my reaction was mixed - at some points I was moved by it, at some points I cringed. I can predict though that the majority of people here are gonna hate it!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    tremors wrote:

I liked the Foals first album, and a lot of my mates love em. I am quite surprised they want to cover Pearl Jam - but I think it's pretty good that they want to.

As for the version itself - my reaction was mixed - at some points I was moved by it, at some points I cringed. I can predict though that the majority of people here are gonna hate it!!

Thanks, I thought it was a nice gesture, tho I was giggling most of the time. Nice guitars.
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    gecko wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Thanks, I thought it was a nice gesture, tho I was giggling most of the time. Nice guitars.

Yeah I liked the gesture more than I did the performance I have to say! I always like it when a current band tips a hat to PJ.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • i almost watched the whole thing, just couldn't make it through - the singer's voice just didn't do anything for me. at all. i was not liking that

but yeah, nice gesture that they wanted to cover PJ.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    If I was dead, I would have rolled in my grave...

Guitars were good, vocals were not...

Perhaps we're being a bit harsh... they are quite young. Maybe when these foals grow in to big horses they might be decent.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    It was better than Seether's cover...
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Um.. this was not bad at all.

Different? Sure. It's an interpretation. I enjoyed it. Very haunting voice..

Not bad at all.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    Ouch. Bieber could do better.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I wanted to like it, as I like a bunch of Foals' stuff, but just couldn't.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    EZ1221C wrote:
    U serious?? Im not a seether fan per say but i thought there cover was awesome, this one was horendous.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I tried to be open-minded and like it, but I thought that band was terrible. I've had dry heaves that sounded prettier than that singer's voice, and I've seen more impressive guitar solos from the animatronic band at Chuck E. Cheese's.

Immortality is such a great song, and if you're going to cover it, you really have to bring it. Sounded to me like they just threw together a cover of a song by a Seattle band because they were going on a Seattle radio station.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    EZ1221C wrote:
    U serious?? Im not a seether fan per say but i thought there cover was awesome, this one was horendous.
    It did absolutely nothing for me. I actually like this a little better.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Go Birds!!!!
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    That was just awful.

I had no idea who these guys were before I clicked on the link so I had no pre-conceived notions about the song but I couldn't even get through 45 seconds of it. His voice is terrible and the the couldn't even get the basic guitar tuning right.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    All you critics forgot to post your cover of immortality.

Really...guitar tuning is just not right? Voice isn't pretty enough? Maybe the next American Idol will have a version that will better suit your taste.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,373

Really...guitar tuning is just not right? Voice isn't pretty enough? Maybe the next American Idol will have a version that will better suit your taste.

This made me laugh!!

And yes I still didn't care for that version, and yes I did like Seethers Cover!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

So in order to be critical of something you have to submit a product of equal or greater value? I guess I can't criticize the President anymore, because I don't have my own administration to use as a measuring stick, and before I complain at a restaurant I need to go home and properly make the dish myself before I voice my displeasure. There's nothing wrong with not liking it, it's a matter of taste, and I thought this version of Immortality tasted like shit.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    edited April 2011
    DPrival78 wrote:
    did he really say "immor-f**kin-tality"?

pass.
    no i only heard... immorfu-entality...

bwahaha who are the foals? His voice definitely puts a morbid spin on it... but that morbid feel comes from just having to listen to it...

Although.... it's singers like these that make me think I can sing :D
    Post edited by vital5 on
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331

So in order to be critical of something you have to submit a product of equal or greater value? I guess I can't criticize the President anymore, because I don't have my own administration to use as a measuring stick, and before I complain at a restaurant I need to go home and properly make the dish myself before I voice my displeasure. There's nothing wrong with not liking it, it's a matter of taste, and I thought this version of Immortality tasted like shit.

Yeh I agree here.... Have you ever seen a movie that you haven't liked??? I didn't like Harry Potter. Doesn't mean I am going to make my own version of a Harry Potter movie before I can judge something that I like or don't.

I hear that new Toyota is shit... I better build my own factory,design and build my own car then I can decide just how good or bad the Toyota is.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

Well said.

I guess all of those wine critics out there should open up their own vineyards before reviewing someone else's wine...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    No need to play dumb or act like there's an absolute rule to open criticism.

These guys clearly weren't preforming this song in hopes that it was going to get judged by the masses. They were in Seattle doing an acoustic show and wanted to pay a little homage, and that's it.

I wasn't a fan of it, but I'm not going to knock them down for what they did.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    ouch...c'mon?!...who's gonna sit back & say that sounded good??....a Foals fan?...(OK...Foal Fans get a pass)...sorry, just not my taste...more power to'em though!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    FUCKIN LOVE IT!!!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    EZ1221C wrote:
    This..

I liked it. Better than another fakely angst hack band covering it. The singers voice was rather soothing.