DSLR camera recommendations

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Looking to purchase a digital SLR and hoping to get some recommendations or suggestions. It's basically for casual use so I'm most concerned with price and how user-friendly the camera is. Looking to spend $500-$750ish. Thanks
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    I have a Nikon d80 and I could not be more pleased. People always say that camera takes such great photos. It is on the lower end in terms of functionality. It does not do HD video like some of the new DSLR's but its worth a look especially if you can find a used one that is reasonabley new.

Good Luck.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I have a Canon Rebel xTi... a few years old, but it's great. Right in your price range probably at this point.

I've got some great shots out of it in the past... but I will say that I think the lens is where the true quality comes in. If you're going to spend big bucks, spend it on a very nice lens. For Canon, I'd suggest the "L" series.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    My wife loves her Canon T1i that she can't put down. She was always partial to Canon's though so she never really gave Nikons a chance.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    My wife loves her Canon T1i that she can't put down. She was always partial to Canon's though so she never really gave Nikons a chance.

My wife has a Canon T2i and loves it, she just got some new lenses for portrait photos and is very happy with them.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    This one has some nice reviews
    Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZYF3LO/ref ... ZZ46F0QKEZ
    I miss igotid88