Lost my Papaw this week

spencer958spencer958 Posts: 279
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My long week came to an end this afternoon. I lost my Papaw Monday. He was in the hospital on a respirator for the last few weeks after a lung infection. He fought hard but couldn't recover. Funeral was today. The week has been so busy with staying at the funeral home, making arrangements, visiting family etc., that its just starting to sink in. Weird thing we were just talking about today, he was born 7-31-31 and died 4-11-11. Born and died on the same day and year. He was a Marine in Korea, which is why he has the American flag on the coffin. RIP. I miss you.

p.s. On Thursday a group of Marines(7 or 8, mostly from the WWII era but also a couple of younger ones)came to salute him. They did a nice presentation/reading that lasted about 15 minutes. They were awesome. We talked to them after and they said they do this on their own time, using their own money. They look through the obits every day looking for Marines that have passed. I hope there are groups that do this in every state/city and how great are they? My family can't thank them enough.

th_Papaw013.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,025
    Sorry to hear about your loss

Muddy
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Sorry for your loss. My condolences and thoughts are with you and your family.

What a beautiful gesture - those Marines are very thoughtful and kind.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    sorry for your loss.

Some pretty cool stuff in there though for sure. Thanks for sharing.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, losing grandparents has to be one of the greatest tragedies in this world. I almost lost my Mema, who I'm very close with in Jan, but she pulled through. However, we just found out she has cancer, shouldn't be a big deal or at least that is what I hope. The Marine salute was nice, it's a great comfort to have people around like that with nice gestures during difficult times. I pray your family's grief will soon turn to smiles and you will be able to think about his memory and the good times without sadness.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    My deepest condolences on the loss of your grandfather. Hugs and healing thoughts being sent your way.

That was a very thoughtful gesture made by those marines. Brothers-in-arms forever.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    sorry for your loss

thoughts are with you and your family
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. My deepest sympathy to you and your family during this sad time.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Sorry for your loss and sending my thoughts and prayers to you and the rest of your family..
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Warmest thoughts and condolences to you and your loved ones. Be well.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Very sorry for your loss. It seemed like you honored him with a beautiful service. Be proud - his memory will live on.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    so sorry for your loss...thoughts to you and your family
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
  • spencer958spencer958 Posts: 279
    I'm so sorry for your loss, losing grandparents has to be one of the greatest tragedies in this world. I almost lost my Mema, who I'm very close with in Jan, but she pulled through. However, we just found out she has cancer, shouldn't be a big deal or at least that is what I hope. The Marine salute was nice, it's a great comfort to have people around like that with nice gestures during difficult times. I pray your family's grief will soon turn to smiles and you will be able to think about his memory and the good times without sadness.

Thought and prayers are with your grandmother. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Sending thoughts your way. So very sorry to hear the news.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Thinking of you in the time of your loss. Be thankful of the memories you got to build with him and that will always keep him in your heart.