Options

Ukulele Crazy

MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
edited July 2011 in The Porch
LIKE everybody else, Eddie Vedder was shocked by what the ukulele could do.

It was the late 1990s and Mr. Vedder was in Hawaii, decompressing after a tour with his band, Pearl Jam, when one of those modest, four-stringed instruments caught his eye in an out-of-the-way drugstore. He bought it, sat down on a nearby case of beer, and picked out a few melodies. It felt good.

“And then a couple of tourists came by and threw 50 cents in the ukulele case,” he said. “And I thought, ‘Wow, there’s something going on here.’ ”

Mr. Vedder’s new solo album, “Ukulele Songs” (Monkeywrench), will be released May 31. (“Truth in advertising,” he says of the title.) But in the years since his first beer-case serenade, the ukulele’s fortunes have changed. Not long ago it was an endangered species, usually encountered as cheap exotica or a comic prop. Now it permeates the culture to an extent that it hasn’t in more than half a century, turning up in Top 10 pop songs and fashionable indie-rock bands, in television commercials by the hundred and YouTube videos by the thousand. There definitely is something going on here.

The trend, building for a decade and now reaching a saturation point, is being fueled by a mix of Hollywood directors, corporate advertisers, professional musicians looking for a new sound and amateurs who have discovered how easy the uke is to use. Their aims may be completely different — selling deodorant and cars versus thrumming in a Brooklyn bar — but they are united in recognizing that the ukulele offers a folksy, hands-on kind of musical humility that’s hard to find in an age in thrall to “American Idol” and Guitar Hero.

“It symbolizes everything that the grand polished machine of the music industry is not,” said Amanda Palmer, a singer formerly with the punk-cabaret group Dresden Dolls.

A few years ago, as a one-off concert gag, Ms. Palmer strummed a uke as she sang Radiohead’s “Creep,” accompanying herself on a $19 model she had bought the day before. But the performance turned out to be so starkly intense it could not remain a joke. So she began taking a ukulele everywhere, and before long she had recorded a full album: “Amanda Palmer Performs the Popular Hits of Radiohead on Her Magical Ukulele,” released last year.

That Ms. Palmer absorbed the basics in a day — her usual instrument is the piano — indicates one of the ukulele’s great advantages: it’s so easy to learn that it’s said to be almost impossible to play it badly. Even when slightly off key, it serves as a blank canvas that can accent the character of any voice. And in the right hands, it can strip a song to its skeletal core.

“Nobody picks up the ukulele who is later going to go back and Auto-Tune their vocals,” said Stephin Merritt of Magnetic Fields, whose 1999 triple album, “69 Love Songs,” featured the ukulele extensively and was a landmark in its revival. “It definitely sounds untrained, and therefore goes with untrained vocal styles.”

Mr. Vedder has a tidy summation of its advantages: “Less strings, more melody.”

The ukulele craze of the 2000s is only the latest in its long history. A descendant of a four-stringed instrument called the machête that Portuguese laborers brought to Hawaii in the 19th century, the ukulele first made a mainland splash in 1915, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco. It had waves of mass popularity in the 1920s and the ’50s, but by 1968, when Tiny Tim’s “Tip-Toe Thru’ the Tulips With Me” became a novelty hit (No. 17 on the pop charts) — and condemned the instrument to punch line status for years — it was already fading.

Its journey back from oblivion began in the mid-1990s, led by a revival among musicians in Hawaii, and since then it has followed parallel paths in independent and corporate culture. In 1999 a spare and wistful version of “Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo‘ole was used in a commercial for eToys, and sparked a ukulele ad frenzy. The recording has been licensed more than 100 times to sell food, software, paint, bank services, lottery tickets and plenty else, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

It’s not hard to see the attraction. The light, carefree strum that has become the instrument’s sonic stereotype invokes innocence, sincerity and childlike wonder, as well as nostalgia for a pre-rock ’n’ roll era. It doesn’t hurt that the sound also conforms to ingrained notions of Hawaii as a consumer-friendly earthly paradise.

Those connotations can be narrative gold for visual storytellers, and for advertisers they offer instant humanization.

“Everyone is sticking the tinkling sound of ukulele under their commercial,” said Jim Beloff, who wrote “The Ukulele: A Visual History.” “It’s shorthand for lightness of tone. It says, ‘We’re good guys at heart.’ ”

At the same time that Hollywood and corporate America began turning to the ukulele, a grass-roots uke revival gathered steam. Local strumming societies emerged around the country, aided by the Internet. And, following the Magnetic Fields’ lead, the instrument began popping up throughout the indie-rock world: Mirah, Beirut, Dent May, Noah and the Whale, Buke and Gass, Tune-Yards, even a Neutral Milk Hotel tribute band called Neutral Uke Hotel. From there it spread to the mainstream.

The ukulele is all over Train’s 2009 song “Hey, Soul Sister,” for example, which reached No. 3, won a Grammy Award and was featured on “Glee.” (And let’s not forget the Beatles factor: Paul McCartney paid tribute to the ukulele-loving George Harrison at the 2002 “Concert for George”; four years later Jake Shimabukuro’s virtuoso “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” became a YouTube hit.)

As Ms. Palmer sees it, the ukulele is the zeitgeist instrument for the D.I.Y. age. “This is the age of the democratization of music,” she says. “Anyone can be a musician. And in a recession, when you have a $20 instrument and there’s a big musical renaissance, anyone will want to join in.”

Sales of the instrument, meanwhile, have surged. Sammy Ash, chief operating officer of the Sam Ash music stores, said he sold more ukuleles last December than in the entire previous decade, along with lots of accessories. “We sell a Metallica ukulele book,” Mr. Ash said, “and we sell a lot of them.”

Perhaps some of those Metallica uke skills will be on display at the New York Uke Fest from May 5 to 7, with concerts and workshops including slide guitar technique and lei making (nyukefest.com).

For most of its history the ukulele has tended to be defined by its limitations: it lacks the resonance of the guitar, the bark and twang of the banjo, and one result is a narrow range of performance styles. In some ways that’s the ukulele’s strength, a simple, effective strum that anyone can learn. But — aside from the dazzling performances of masters like Mr. Shimabukuro — is that all there is?

Mr. Vedder’s album is halfway between the standard uke style and something more idiosyncratic. Respecting one of the instrument’s unwritten rules, he plays antique songs like “Dream a Little Dream of Me” and “Tonight You Belong to Me” (you may remember Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters singing that one in “The Jerk”). And he exploits the sentimentality of the instrument for all it’s worth, singing lines like “For every wish upon a star that goes unanswered in the dark/There is a dream I’ve dreamt about you.” But on songs like “Can’t Keep,” he seems to be trying to cram an angst-y Pearl Jam song through the tiny instrument, attacking the strings.

Merrill Garbus of the band Tune-Yards, whose second album, “Whokill” (4AD), is scheduled to be released Tuesday, is more experimental. Ms. Garbus creates loops of sound using drums, ukulele and her own voice, weaving the elements together over reggae beats and African-influenced vocal melodies.

You’d be forgiven if you didn’t hear the ukulele on a first listen. Through various electronic manipulations she has made it sound like a synthesizer, or a distorted electric guitar, or simply short blasts of noise. But listen carefully and you’ll hear the tell-tale plink-plink of a ukulele.

“I definitely made it my goal to make the ukulele sound not like the ukulele,” Ms. Garbus said. “I’ve been amplifying the ukulele through a pick-up and then overdriving it in a really great tube amp, so the texture became not the stereotypical strum of the ukulele. It has these gnarly edges to it.”

Or, as Mr. Vedder explained: “My inspiration was to wrestle with the thing, to give it something different from the way it’s been played before. Can I make this happy little instrument as depressed as I am?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/arts/ ... craze.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    :thumbup: thanks for posting!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i just bought my girlfriend one ...
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Navin!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cramming Can't Keep into a Uke song? Can't Keep WAS originally a uke song! :lol:
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    We are part of a 'scene' again. First there was grunge, and now there is the Uke. We and Eddie are hip for the second and only time in our lives.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    We are part of a 'scene' again. First there was grunge, and now there is the Uke. We and Eddie are hip for the second and only time in our lives.
    :lol:

i can't wait for this album, so excited
    thanks for posting :)
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    love that story. thanks for sharing the find :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Thanks for posting. Cannot wait to hear what Eddie did with the songs.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Ever heard of this gal?
    http://www.taimane.com/home.html
    Saw her play at an AVP Event a couple of years ago... opened the tournament with the NationalAnthem (like Jimmy Hendrix) played 'Stairway To Heaven' before Misty and Kerri's match.
    Taimane is fricken' awesome.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Ever heard of this gal?
    Saw her play at an AVP Event a couple of years ago... opened the tournament with the NationalAnthem (like Jimmy Hendrix) played 'Stairway To Heaven' before Misty and Kerri's match.

i love Taimane Gardner, she is amazing, so fricken incredible
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JX13LwnZss

amazing
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    edited April 2011
    "Can I make this happy little instrument as depressed as I am?”
    lol
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Cosmo wrote:
    Ever heard of this gal?

Wow, she really is. Love that Waikiki jam.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Ever heard of this gal?

omg i saw her a month or two back for the first time. she is phenomenal.
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    i think i need a uke. i've got to be able to do something with it
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    tremors wrote:

absolutely! :lol:
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    StillHere wrote:

i got one last year ish, play guitar already but got inspired to play it after listening to some uke music - inspired after listening to Can't Keep on the ukulele
    anyway, it's a really cool cute little instrument. amazingly versatile- you should definitely get one :)
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:

i got one last year ish, play guitar already but got inspired to play it after listening to some uke music - inspired after listening to Can't Keep on the ukulele
    anyway, it's a really cool cute little instrument. amazingly versatile- you should definitely get one :)

thanks for the encouragement. is it worth buying a cheap one just to mess round with in the beginning?
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    StillHere wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

thanks for the encouragement. is it worth buying a cheap one just to mess round with in the beginning?

I bought one 2 weeks ago on ebay for 30 bucks, not a lot to pay for a bit of fun :D
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    My wonderful husband surprised me with a hot pink ukulele last night!!! I'm no Eddie Vedder but I love playing it, might entice me to get my poor old guitars out of the carport. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Loulou wrote:
    My wonderful husband surprised me with a hot pink ukulele last night!!! I'm no Eddie Vedder but I love playing it, might entice me to get my poor old guitars out of the carport. ;)

nice!! :D

and guitars in the carport??? :shock:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Yeah I know... :roll: I put them in there while I was clearing out our office and I haven't got around to taking them back out. My brother pulls them out, tunes them and plays them when he comes to see me though. I actually found him on youtube the other day. He's a prety good guitarist, it's under mr.atrahasis (don't ask me why?) it's video of him playing his acoustic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4xdVhzGXmw
    Here it is.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

nice!! :D

and guitars in the carport??? :shock:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Loulou wrote:

Sweet!!!! And a hot pink one too - sexy!! :D
  • Options
    VinylGirl wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

:oops: It's not when I play it! :? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Loulou wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

:oops: It's not when I play it! :? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: