Options

Dog training advice

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My little guy, Lennon, is about three and a half years old. We've had him since he was a puppy, and we tried to get him enrolled in puppy training and obedience training, but he always freaked out and/or got sick when we went, so we stopped. He is really terrible around strangers, trying to run away and get out of his collar. He just downright freaks out. LIke today, we were waiting for Petco to open so we can get him and the others groomed, and while we were waiting for them to open, the lady came who was going to open the door and he just flipped. I had to pretty much wrestle with him for him not to get out of his collar and run away. I feel like it's partially my own fault for not sticking with the training when he was a puppy, and I take full responsibility for that. My question is, being that he is 3 1/2 years old, if I took him to obedience training or behavior training, will he adapt and learn new things and learn how to deal with being around strangers?...or is he pretty much set in his ways. I just need advice!!!...thank you in advance!
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Don't give up on him.

The TV dog man would probably tell you that you need to change your behavior too, but I personally would commit to going to some kind of behaviorist/trainer no matter how much he flips out. Just stick with it no matter what.

He's got to realize that it's okay to be around other people and in other social situations. Doing nothing about it will accomplish nothing.

And no, I don't believe it's too late for him. The TV dog man has demonstrated consistently that extreme behavior can be overcome.

And put him in a harness instead of a collar.

Best of luck.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Try the nice harness collar....no escaping from those.

It is probably you who needs to be trained, that's usually the case with dogs whatever the age.

You are never too old to learn tricks to help your dog behave.

Have you tried maybe Cesar Millan's website or his book ..he may have just the right tip for you.
    It's probably a common problem.

Your dog may pick up on your uneasiness cause of his uneasiness around strangers...you both reinforcing each others behavior... just relax and get him under control with the proper collar and leash.

Being afraid of strangers is better than jumping all over them or being aggressive.

Good luck :D
  • Options
    I am going through some doggy issues with my dog, Gizmo, who is 4. I enrolled him in a service dog training class and also signed up for Cesar's online training courses. Those have been really awesome and I recommend you check them out. Their forum is also helpful- you can talk to other dog owners on there.

http://www.sessionswithcesar.com/default.aspx

A lot of it has to do with the energy you're putting out and becoming the "pack leader"

Good luck!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    BTW if you get a harness, get one that clips in the front, across their chest. if you get a harness that connects on the top of the dog, you will only encourage pulling because dog's were bred to pull (like a sled dog) so if you pull in that manner, their reaction is to pull back and drag you along. You want to keep your dog at your side or behind you, to reinforce that you are the pack leader, not the dog.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    What happens when people come over to your house? Does he freak out then?

One thing I'd do is have treats by the front door, whenever someone comes into your house, they grab a treat, kneel down and give him a treat. don't let them pet him just yet, just give a treat, toss it to him if he's that scared...it hepls him learn that people don't want to hurt him. I did this with my little dog (I have a lab too), she doesn't freak out and growl as much any more...but she knows that she's the smallest pet so she's still really cautious.

Caesar books are good, and being calm is the number one thing to remember. At the clinic I worked at, people would adopt the 'neediest' dogs, but it didn't help because they were so nervous about giving the dog rules and boundaries. As soon as we took the dog to the back and the owners' nervous energy wasn't there, the dogs would calm down.

Good Luck!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    first get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Gentle-Le ... B00074L4W2

when i got my dog he was much like your dog and a regular collar wouldn't work...my vet suggested one of these and it worked beautifully

as for his "freaking out" well cesar would tell you it's more you than the dog...remember, a dog wants to please you and do whatever you say but if you aren't calm he won't be either...dogs feed off your energy...also, dogs are not humans and do not have the same emotions...he won't get mad at you for disciplining him...patience is the key

my advice is to watch the dog whisperer...it helped me so much in getting norm to be the perfect dog he is now! ;):lol::mrgreen:
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    pandora wrote:
    It is probably you who needs to be trained, that's usually the case with dogs whatever the age.

ouch
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Brony wrote:
    pandora wrote:

ouch

pandora...not one to hold back. :lol:

good luck to the op. my pooch still has issues we're dealing with at age 5......today's her birthday actually. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Brony wrote:
    pandora wrote:

ouch

pandora...not one to hold back. :lol:

good luck to the op. my pooch still has issues we're dealing with at age 5......today's her birthday actually. :mrgreen:
    :oops: sorry reading back that was kind of an ouch...I truly didn't mean it like that though

I always say it is the person that gets trained not the dog. We must command and demand the behavior needed
    Dogs just want to please and like a child we need to be a few steps a head of them to keep them out of trouble.
    That works til teenage only though :lol: Come to think of it the op's dog is a teen. Hmmmm

Happy Birthday to your pooch...special cheeseburger dinner perhaps?
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. We actually use a harness most of the time, like when we walk the dogs, but we figured that it would ok without it just this once. I will never make that mistake again. BUt we are going to take him back to training and get him to socialize with other people and other dogs. He does just fine the other dogs we have, but it's the strangers dogs and people he doesn't like. He is almost a little crazy when most people come over, too. He hides from everything except my mother-in-law and my friend who watches them when we go on a trip for a few days. He just needs to get out there more and interact with other people, I think. That might shape him up!
  • Options
    Brony wrote:
    pandora wrote:

ouch

No worries, I didn't take it wrong. I actually took it as saying that I need to calm for the fuck down in order for him to be calm. It's actually pretty good advice, I think. :D
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    We should get this over in the doggie thread, very good stuff to read and know.

From what i have read, learned and seen from my own experience, is that if the dog owner does not like someone, more then likely the dog will not like them as well. It is like they feel your (((vibes)))

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland