The Avocado Album: A Discussion

13»

Comments

• cyndarious1cyndarious1 Posts: 430
    rickles3 wrote:
    rickles3 wrote:
    What's never made sense to me was the idea that Avocado was some kind of "return to form". I've always felt that the band showed a natural progression from Vitalogy-Avocado. The first two albums stand separate to me. For my taste, PJ caught their footing on Vitalogy and never looked back. Avocado's been out 5 years now, and I've probably played it more than any other album in that time. I love the aggression of the opening 5 tracks, and the album just flows from there to Inside Job. I saw them in '06 two weeks after the albums release, and everything they played from Avocado fit seamlessly in with the rest of the set.

I agree with you. From Vitalogy on PJ is a different band. What I think they meant with the "return to form" was probably the aggression you mention. We agree that the musically Ten and Avocado are miles away, but just look at the lyrics, or the guys' attitude when they play Severed Hand or Comatose. Doesn't it remind you of the old days? :)

Yeah, I definitely see (and agree with) your point. I guess to me, Vitalogy is where they started mixing in the arty/adventurous stuff with the more rocking stuff, and all of the following albums going forward are a blend of those sounds. Obviously some are weighted more heavily one way or the other, but to me they all have a consistent "feel" to them.

So yes, the aggression of the first 5 Avocado tracks does echo the opening tracks of Ten, but once you get beyond those first 5 there's no question that you're listening to the more mature post-Vitalogy PJ.

I think every PJ album tries and finally is a different and unique work of art. What I value the most about Avocado is that it is different in a completely rockin way. Back in 2006 I was expecting the band to come up with something heavy like Avocado was. I love the experimental elements to Yield, Binaural, and some of the Riot Act stuff, even the pop of Backspacer, but I LOVE how Avocado DARES to ROCK.
    November 22nd, 2005.
  • rickles3rickles3 Posts: 13
    I think every PJ album tries and finally is a different and unique work of art. What I value the most about Avocado is that it is different in a completely rockin way. Back in 2006 I was expecting the band to come up with something heavy like Avocado was. I love the experimental elements to Yield, Binaural, and some of the Riot Act stuff, even the pop of Backspacer, but I LOVE how Avocado DARES to ROCK.

Agreed :D Which explains my love for the album...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,670
    rickles3 wrote:

Agreed :D Which explains my love for the album...

Agreed here, also. Especially in light of having woken up hearing "Marker in the Sand" in my head this morning!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    Eraserhead wrote:

When songs started to leak on the internet the first one I loved was Comatose. I thought it was great punk rock music. Later they came Unemployable, Severed Hand, Life Wasted and Come Back, which I also loved immediately.

Am I the only one who doesn't bother listening to "leaked" songs from the net?

I feel the same way. It takes some willpower, that's for sure. Especially now with all of the posts about Uke song leaks and streams. As a wise rocker once said, "The waiting is the hardest part."
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • PapPap Posts: 28,773
    Exquisite artisitc creation! :bow: The simple, but yet so beautiful Big Wave sums it all up.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024