Facebook Privacy

carbon436carbon436 Posts: 352
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I had to do a video for a social media class. So, I chose to do it on "Facebook Privacy."

Could you guys watch it and give me your thoughts on the issue, and what you think of the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s03EoWZXnCQ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,979
    well done.

thoughts about your subject matter.......

people DONT think ahead about this stuff.

Reminds me of what I heard in grade school. "This will go on your permanet record young man!!"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • carbon436carbon436 Posts: 352
    In our lecture last night, it was brought up that perhaps it is a generational thing. Facebook was started by the youth - who grew up with the Internet. People create accounts without expecting privacy. By rule of thumb, don't put anything on there you wouldn't want to show to your mommy!
    mickeyrat wrote:
    well done.

thoughts about your subject matter.......

people DONT think ahead about this stuff.

Reminds me of what I heard in grade school. "This will go on your permanet record young man!!"

My mom said the same freakin thing!
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Well done.

I agree. You should never post anything you are not willing to back. My avatar, for instance, is a personal reminder that I must own what I do on here. ;) On FB, I never post photos that may lead to negative consequences, for me or others in my photos. I do that out of respect for everyone.

I do feel this a side effect of the digital age. I feel the next gen is losing its face-to-face social filters due to lack of real-life interaction because of the impersonality of the digital age. That being said, I may be on my computer right now, however, I much prefer face-to-face interaction, and make a point to connect with people every day in my life in that manner. I do acknowledge that others here are real people interacting through the means of a computer. Also, I remind myself that everyone (on the net or not) have personal stories just as real as my own. People tend to easily forget that, even ignore that at times, which is to the detriment of themselves and others, and it will always be on the permanent record of the internet.

Mommy knows best!! ;):lol::lol::lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    Thanks guys. This is good stuff!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    Well done.

I agree. You should never post anything you are not willing to back. My avatar, for instance, is a personal reminder that I must own what I do on here. ;) On FB, I never post photos that may lead to negative consequences, for me or others in my photos. I do that out of respect for everyone.

I do feel this a side effect of the digital age. I feel the next gen is losing its face-to-face social filters due to lack of real-life interaction because of the impersonality of the digital age. That being said, I may be on my computer right now, however, I much prefer face-to-face interaction, and make a point to connect with people every day in my life in that manner. I do acknowledge that others here are real people interacting through the means of a computer. Also, I remind myself that everyone (on the net or not) have personal stories just as real as my own. People tend to easily forget that, even ignore that at times, which is to the detriment of themselves and others, and it will always be on the permanent record of the internet.

1,000 posts a month...how do you have time for anything face to face?! :shock:

only kidding shims! :mrgreen:

facebook is crazy thing, indeed.
    www.myspace.com
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    It's really not too hard to avoid this kind of thing on Facebook...make sure you have the right privacy settings and don't add anyone you don't know or trust well. Hell, you can even hide certain status from individual people on your friends list, so there's no excuse but your own ignorance if you lose your job over it.

On another side of it, one of the articles in that video mentioned a teacher getting fired for having pictures of her drinking beer and having an expletive in it. That's going WAY too far. It's not as if she's projecting her pictures in class and saying "Hey kids, go get drunk and swear!", she posted it on a personal webpage. Once again, she should've simply been more careful with her privacy settings, but to get fired because she has a beer in her hand? People are way too sensitive.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    Had to wait til I got home to watch the video since youtube is blocked at work. Good job on the video. I hope that at the very least it will make your friends and classmates think twice about what to post and making sure their privacy is locked down. On one hand, it seems that we've become so desensitized to the world that it doesn't surprise me the things that are posted. On the other hand, I can't imagine posting pics and remarks such as those found in the video. Crazy indeed.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i wish they would add to security the ability to turn off picture tagging...not only do people tag you in photos you may not want to be seen, but recently spammers have been using it to spread their particular nonsense
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Well done.

1,000 posts a month...how do you have time for anything face to face?! :shock:

only kidding shims! :mrgreen:

facebook is crazy thing, indeed.

It's all good! :mrgreen: You'd be surprised, Juggler! ;) I am a person of many talents. I amaze a lot of...errr, okay...some people! ;):lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    norm wrote:
    i wish they would add to security the ability to turn off picture tagging...not only do people tag you in photos you may not want to be seen, but recently spammers have been using it to spread their particular nonsense
    You should be able to remove tags from other peoples' pictures....although that's not to say that they won't just tag you again. But yeah, it's too bad that there isn't a global security feature like that in place.
    norm wrote:
    You should be able to remove tags from other peoples' pictures....although that's not to say that they won't just tag you again. But yeah, it's too bad that there isn't a global security feature like that in place.

well it hasn't happened much and yeah i do remove them but we should be able to opt out

how ya doing mark? long time no talk :D
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I really liked that, I that just made me dislike Facebook even more! :lol: Well done though! :)
    I used to use it because I have alot of family overseas and it was a good way to send pics to them but I stopped using it for many of the reasons you just showed. I'm really quite a secretive person and I am a bit of a hermit, even my closest friends don't know the ins and outs of life and I just found that I had all these people who could see parts of my life that I didn't necessarily want to share with them. Plus, Adelaide is a small place, I know that some friends converse with people I don't like so who's to say they don't pass on info about me??? I know it sounds like I'm paranoid but I like my privacy now and I just come on here and chat to you guys instead.
    Also, a good friend of mine was bullied at her work on Facebook, I felt so sorry for her. She wasn't on there so she didn't realise that they had been discussing her for a while. She was closing down the computers one night at her work and saw it on the screen, someone hadn't logged out of it. She rang me crying and I told her that it was going to be okay, just print out all the details on the screen and show it to your boss.
    Apparently they got a blasting the next day, should have been more if you ask me though. It's just not right, if you have something to say, say it to their face I reckon.
    Anyway, enough rambling from me, well done! Great Job! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Your video was very good, completely true with some people
    Either they are completely disrespectful towards other people and post whatever they want
    or
    They don't take enough measures to protect their own privacy, add people they don't know and then complain later.
    It irritates me when people add people they don't know just to get more friends, when people don't put their settings to private - whatever they share about you gets shared with all of their friends, regardless of your own privacy settings.
    The internet is such a big and scary thing really - once something's out there, it's out there forever.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

well it hasn't happened much and yeah i do remove them but we should be able to opt out

i thought there was a way to do that norm?
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

Maybe if enough people request that option, they might put it in place....does Facebook have a suggestion box? :lol:

doing pretty good, hope everything is well with you
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    I am not in favor of anything that makes it easier to find me. There is a reason I stopped calling you. :lol::lol:
    i thought there was a way to do that norm?

the closest you can get is to allow only yourself to see pic you're tagged in
    Maybe if enough people request that option, they might put it in place....does Facebook have a suggestion box? :lol:

doing pretty good, hope everything is well with you

i don't think zuck takes to kindly to suggestions :lol::lol: