Any Dodger fans out there? Could you explain this to me?

Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I heard about the Giants fan getting beaten in Dodger Stadium's parking lot awhile back. I went down to LA last year with my SO and attended the Dodgers/Padres series. We had a great time, but I have never, in my life, seen as many cops and security guards at a game as we saw there. I've been to games, concerts, festivals, etc.... and there's always been a police presence, but hands down, Dodger Stadium tops them all. I guess my question is what changed between then and now? Any opinions?
deep, deep blue of the morning
gets to me every time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    I'm not from LA but maybe there were cutbacks in police budgets. From what I read in the papers, California doesn't have a pot to piss in economically right now. But hey, what do I know.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Because being a Dodger fan is a crime. Go Giants.
    As I write highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me. - George Orwell
  • The police force didn't get the memo that Manny left town.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    not sure where you go to see games so i can't compare, but the last time i was at chavez i didn't notice too many cops...also, how many of those cops were in the parking lot? i'm gonna guess next to none...and that's where the violence takes place

this whole thing has just made me sick...since the o'malley's sold the team going to games has become less enjoyable...and our current owner has no interest in anything else that lining his own pockets...example: we hasn't had a head of security since 2009...and it took him a week to cancel the half beer sales for some games this year...the only thing he cares about is putting people in seats and if that's power drinking gang bangers, as long as they paid for the ticket, he's happy...it's more money for him to spend on lawyers for his divorce from his equally douchebag wife
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    The whole thing makes me sick too. It's absolutely horrific.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    LA sucks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I'm in Seattle, so I'm used to the Mariners. Seattle's not a huge baseball town, so most of the fans are pretty laid back. The closest I've seen to violence at the Safe was when the Red Sox were in town, but that's another story, haha. As for Dodgers Stadium, the thing that struck me was the security presence IN the parking lot. The guards were constantly driving around. I heard the head of security quit (or was fired?) in December, so I guess that may play into it. I was just so shocked because the news was so jarringly different than what we experienced while we were there...
    gets to me every time
    i'm sure you'll see cops closer to the stadium in the parking lot but it's a huge lot and they do not patrol it well at all...maybe you were there on a good night
    norm wrote:
    i'm sure you'll see cops closer to the stadium in the parking lot but it's a huge lot and they do not patrol it well at all...maybe you were there on a good night
    I suppose so, it was just shocking news is all.
    gets to me every time
    what's interesting is the night before in Anaheim, a 7 month pregnant dodger fan was attacked by 4 angel fans...didn't hear about that, did ya?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    norm wrote:
    this whole thing has just made me sick...since the o'malley's sold the team going to games has become less enjoyable...and our current owner has no interest in anything else that lining his own pockets...example: we hasn't had a head of security since 2009...and it took him a week to cancel the half beer sales for some games this year...the only thing he cares about is putting people in seats and if that's power drinking gang bangers, as long as they paid for the ticket, he's happy...it's more money for him to spend on lawyers for his divorce from his equally douchebag wife

Norm is right as usual. Frank McCourt is the worst. Someone sent me this article last night - it's depressing, but interesting.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gangland-v ... r-stadium/
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    norm wrote:
    what's interesting is the night before in Anaheim, a 7 month pregnant dodger fan was attacked by 4 angel fans...didn't hear about that, did ya?
    No, I didn't.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Enkidu wrote:
    norm wrote:

Norm is right as usual. Frank McCourt is the worst. Someone sent me this article last night - it's depressing, but interesting.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/gangland-v ... r-stadium/

i totally remember when that girl got shot in westwood...within a couple years westwood was deserted...it took like 15 years for it to come back
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    The whole thing makes me sick too. It's absolutely horrific.

+1
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:
    No I didn't. I guess it goes to show there are assholes everywhere. I love my sports teams, but don't understand how that translates to physically harming someone because they root for a different team.
    gets to me every time
    Lukin66 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    No I didn't. I guess it goes to show there are assholes everywhere. I love my sports teams, but don't understand how that translates to physically harming someone because they root for a different team.

me either...even happens here...someone the other day wished a hockey player would break his neck...i really don't understand this...even in jest...it's a fucking game
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Because being a Dodger fan is a crime. Go Giants.
    :lolno:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    it's a fucking game

it's all fun and games until sport betters and beer vendors get involved.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    it's a fucking game

it's all fun and games until sport betters and beer vendors get involved.
    the beer vendors are balls deep in business with mlb and nfl it's sicking. the bigger problem is people getting piss drunk tailgating before the games and then buying 3-7 beers during the games to keep the buzz going.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    We went to the Dodger/Giants game two days after the beating incident. We're Giants fans, but I didn't wear anything Giants related and my husband wore a a cap with a very small Giants logo on it. We sat next to a group of three guys wearing full Dodger regalia and the guy beside my husband seemed pretty drunk when we got there and at the end of the game he'd stacked his empty cups together. Nine.

However - these guys were nice. They cheered for the Dodgers, we cheered (not too loud) for the Giants. My husband kept score, the nine beer guy would look over and ask my husband about how a certain batter was doing, it was all totally civil.

It was a day game though, I think we might have felt more uncomfortable walking back to the parking lot at night.