Three Fish

not for me?not for me? Posts: 501
edited October 2008 in The Porch
I really enjoy listening to Three Fish, but on here if anyone ever talks about them, it seems to be always negative. Does anyone else here really love this underrated group?
Nathan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• killroykillroy Posts: 739
    Yes! Absolutely!

I really like both of their albums. I just recently started listening to The Quiet Table, and at first I thought it was not as good as Three Fish, but after a few listens I realized how wrong I was.

I, too feel that they are underrated, but on the other hand I like their underground, unexposed approach to music.
  • I like it best of any PJ related non PJ project, except temple of the dog.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    who the fuck has been talking smack about me?
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • LOVE Three Fish
    "Yeah, but what happened to the Dufranes?"
  • I'm glad I am not alone. :D
    Nathan
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I would love to hear some of their music. It's not available in Australia. We often have to import albums. I prefer cds than downloading. A pity Three Fish aren't together, though they may reform who knows? If Green River can get back together so can Three Fish.
  • who the fuck has been talking smack about me?
    Shut your mouth Bitch and get back in the corner!
    he who forgets will be destined to remember
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Three Fish are one of my favourite bands, too bad they seem defunct. The second album has its merits but the first is just incredible, start to finish.

Here is a thread that may be of some interest to three fish fans.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=305183&highlight=fish (or just search for three fish threads) (rare track info)

The videos were cool too, the best Pearl Jam related vids in my opinion.

I hope they reform for another go at it, I know they are all still musically active, I'm sure some tribe records are worth hearing too but have yet to track them down.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    pjamaholic wrote:
    I would love to hear some of their music. It's not available in Australia. We often have to import albums. I prefer cds than downloading. A pity Three Fish aren't together, though they may reform who knows? If Green River can get back together so can Three Fish.

Try any way you can to buy the first album (ie. ebay or amazon used). It is definitley one that is way better to have the physical disc w artwork than a download. Aments best art and layout in my opinion which adds a lot to the vibe of the music.
  • lucky to have seen them about ten years ago--
    the whole show had a very cool vibe--

peace,
    lz
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Gotta bring this thread back for all you Jeff Ament fans out there. Listening to The Quiet Table this morning. If you've never heard it, give it a listen! Amazing musicians and a good departure away from anything Pearl Jam.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    thanks chris! listening now! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I wish they would reissue their vinyl
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    iso any 3 Fish guitar picks :)

• ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Love the Quiet Table. Def. one of my all time favorite albums. The first record I never got into.  Every time I listen to Three Fish I wish I could be transported back to June 1999.... Show at Wetlands NYC was awesome.
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    ceska said:
    Love the Quiet Table. Def. one of my all time favorite albums. The first record I never got into.  Every time I listen to Three Fish I wish I could be transported back to June 1999.... Show at Wetlands NYC was awesome.
    I was at the Wetlands show also. I stood ten feet from the band. Great show. Love that band.
  • I thought they were really cool as well. Very vibe-y. I saw them at the 9:30 club in DC. I actually brought the cover the second xmas single with me "just in case" and I was glad I did. After the show, my friend and I went back behind the club, and Jeff was juts ahnging out talking to maybe 4 people. We wandered up, all cool like, and we were all juts chatting all casual. Jeff told us how Ed still owed him $20 from a bulls bet they met. lol. I ended up getting him to sign the album cover, then shortly after word spread and he went from being some dude from Montana juts shooting the shit to JEFF AMENT. The change was quyick. but it was cool to meet that 1st version. 
    1st show College Park MD 1992-Latest show Fenway Night 1 2018, Plus Ed NYC Night 1 2022
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Loved Three Fish! Saw them at Trees in Dallas right after The Quiet Table came out. Just picked up a vinyl copy of the first album.
  • ED477ED477 Posts: 134
    Caught the show in Austin, La Zona Rosa.  As I recall, there were only two people there Michael M. and myself.  The band was very gracious, and signed stuff and I believe I walked away with a couple of guitar picks, yellow and/or black if I recall, and a gray one (without band logo) from Robbi.  Wish they'd release something again, or some unreleased tracks if they have any mixed with those tracks that only came out on the vinyl releases.  Those were cool songs as well! 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    I thought they were really cool as well. Very vibe-y. I saw them at the 9:30 club in DC. I actually brought the cover the second xmas single with me "just in case" and I was glad I did. After the show, my friend and I went back behind the club, and Jeff was juts ahnging out talking to maybe 4 people. We wandered up, all cool like, and we were all juts chatting all casual. Jeff told us how Ed still owed him $20 from a bulls bet they met. lol. I ended up getting him to sign the album cover, then shortly after word spread and he went from being some dude from Montana juts shooting the shit to JEFF AMENT. The change was quyick. but it was cool to meet that 1st version. 

Picture please. Cool story!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited September 2020
    Mohab said:
    Three Fish are one of my favourite bands, too bad they seem defunct. The second album has its merits but the first is just incredible, start to finish.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=305183&highlight=fish (or just search for three fish threads) (rare track info)

I hope they reform for another go at it, I know they are all still musically active, I'm sure some tribe records are worth hearing too but have yet to track them down.

I'm not super-into the side projects, but isn't RNDM essentially the "new" Three Fish? It seems like there's some overlap with members and Three Fish died out about when RNDM started.

Of course, the "new" side projects seem to be Eddie's solo act and whatever HockeyTalkter is doing. Brad was sort of the last band to be a side project and with Shawn Smith gone, whatever happens with the remaining members won't be Brad.

It seems like there hasn't been many side project bands since RNDM "Acts" came out around 2011-2012 whenever it was.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • VsVs Posts: 76
    A reissue and some live stuff could be cool. I love both the LPs .... as you can see from my icon :blush:
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Vs said:
    A reissue and some live stuff could be cool. I love both the LPs .... as you can see from my icon :blush:

Would LOVE a reissue and live goodies from Three Fish. 

• i listen to them daily! amazing band and music. "the quiet table" is a very special album to me, from start to finish. eternal atmosphere and depth. richard's drumming is stellar, too.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    would love those extra tracks that came on the vinyl version of the quiet table. :wink:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Mohab said:

I'm not super-into the side projects, but isn't RNDM essentially the "new" Three Fish? It seems like there's some overlap with members and Three Fish died out about when RNDM started.

Of course, the "new" side projects seem to be Eddie's solo act and whatever HockeyTalkter is doing. Brad was sort of the last band to be a side project and with Shawn Smith gone, whatever happens with the remaining members won't be Brad.

It seems like there hasn't been many side project bands since RNDM "Acts" came out around 2011-2012 whenever it was.
    I think Quiet Table was the last TF record. Pretty sure they didn’t collab with Robbie Robb again after that record. So like 10 years later, RNDM comes together. Jeff, Richard & Joe. I’d say Mike has been most active in terms of showing up on other folks records. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited September 2020
    Ok, so, Robbi Robb was on the Bill & Ted’s soundtrack. Thank you internet. 

www.cluthelee.com
    Ok, so, Robbi Robb was on the Bill & Ted’s soundtrack. Thank you internet. 

Wish he got together with Richard & Jeff for a 3rd Three Fish album.

After locating a partial drum kit in Cairo, we were all set to start shooting the Three Fish videos for Laced and Song For A Dead Girl.
    Our Egyptian guides were on it and took care of everything, which included the arrangement of half a dozen camels with their riders for certain scenes as well as clearance to shoot scenes in the spice market, the Nile River and an old burial ground.
    The whole experience was rather surreal to say the least!
    In between takes we took a short break and Ament captured this shot in the blazing light of the sun over the hot Saharan sands of Giza.
    And as we wrapped for the day, I felt like taking a walk towards the middle of nowhere with nothing but the feeling of happiness and the desire for some solitude swirling around my mind like a whirling dervish on the outskirts of space and time.
    I kept walking, and walking, watching the great pyramids slowly shrinking.
    Not a soul around.
    I kept going over and over the thought of how incredible it felt to play the drums in synch with the playback coming through distorted speakers of a boombox with the songs aligned for the video.
    The overwhelming feeling of bliss with the pyramids at my back is almost something that is difficult to put into words.
    Planet Earth.
    And the Three Fish ( Robbi/Jeff & the Viking)…living in some kind of a dreamscape…