you can't go back to the future in china anymore

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
:shifty:

BEIJING — In a bizarre move, China’s television censors have issued new guidelines that all but ban TV dramas featuring time travel.

In a statement (available here in Chinese) dated March 31, the State Administration for Radio, Film & Television said that TV dramas that involve characters traveling back in time “lack positive thoughts and meaning.” The guidelines discouraging this type of show said that some “casually make up myths, have monstrous and weird plots, use absurd tactics, and even promote feudalism, superstition, fatalism and reincarnation.”

The guidelines, which fell short of an outright ban of such dramas, seem to have come in response to a series of popular programs about protagonists drifting back to ancient times. For instance, in “Palace,” one of China’s hottest TV series, a woman falls in love with a Qing dynasty painting, travels back in time and then falls in love with several princes.

“Palace” is broadcast on Hunan Television, a provincial network known for its popular programs, some of which are strong competitors of China’s main state-run broadcaster, China Central Television.

A spokesman for the State Administration declined Tuesday to elaborate on the reason behind the new guidelines. But the Chinese authorities are known for strictly censoring newspapers, film and TV programs that are deemed “unhealthy.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... me-travel/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    "Great Scott!"
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • I'm afraid you're stuck here, Marty.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    "Great Scott!"

Yeah, I know. . . this is heavy!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    "Roads..where were going we dont need roads.."

I could quote B2TF all night. I went as Marty McFly a few years back for a Halloween party. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

I just can't wait until it's 2015 so we can have hoverboards and flying cards and power-tie shoes. 2015 is going to be awesome!
    Big Drop wrote:
    I could quote B2TF all night. I went as Marty McFly a few years back for a Halloween party. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

I just can't wait until it's 2015 so we can have hoverboards and flying cards and power-tie shoes. 2015 is going to be awesome!

It is a classic series of Movies

I didn't care that much for the 3rd one though

Hoverboards were actually made at one point I heard but banned after safety concerns

• normnorm Posts: 31,146

Hoverboards were actually made at one point I heard but banned after safety concerns

was it the hanging on to the levitating cars the safety concern? or the fact that the less powerful ones could not go over water? :think:
    norm wrote:

was it the hanging on to the levitating cars the safety concern? or the fact that the less powerful ones could not go over water? :think:

hoverboards.jpg

• bambam87bambam87 Posts: 545
    wow?!!
    somebody should go back in time and tell them this is a mistake

mattel and spielberg are gonna totally sue that guy
    norm wrote:

mattel and spielberg are gonna totally sue that guy

The comment below :

"If Apple made it, it would restrict where you went. If Microsoft made it, it would crash so much you'd have to cover yourself with pillows."

:lol:

does this mean that huey lewis and the news can't play in china anymore? :think:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I gotta back China in this, time travel is preposterous, time doesn't even exist ,it's just a unit of measurement.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    norm wrote:
    does this mean that huey lewis and the news can't play in china anymore? :think:

LET HUEY PLAY!!!!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    norm wrote:

huey lewis can play anywhere he damn well pleases.

china sucks. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:

huey is the antidote for communism!!
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

huey is the antidote for communism!!

in a somewhat related note, this just reminded me that our dj failed to play one of the two huey songs that i selected (power of love and stuck with you). :x
    www.myspace.com
    in a somewhat related note, this just reminded me that our dj failed to play one of the two huey songs that i selected (power of love and stuck with you). :x

a) stop the check on that dude

and secondly, you already did the deed? congrats!
    norm wrote:

a) stop the check on that dude

and secondly, you already did the deed? congrats!

haha...i gave him waaay too many songs to be played. he did a very good job though. first dance was just breathe.....and the highlite was the last song: yellow ledbetter :mrgreen: the whole room was belting it out together at the top of our lungs. the video is pretty cool.

thanks norm
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    Better get used to these bars kid.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16