War and Books

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I was having an imaginary conversation with an imaginary military person:

Me: I would prefer to read than go to war
Military Person: But, if there was no war there would be fewer books
Me: I would prefer to read fewer books than go to war
Military Person: How many of your best books don't include war?

Then I realized that 2 of my 3 favorite books included elements of war within them: The Last Report on the Miracle of Little No Horse (indirect) and Anil's Ghost (direct ish). Unless, may have less of it . . .

How many of your favorite books do not include some scene, some residual effect of war?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I like reading war books.

I just read a book recently about Vimy Ridge which was in the First World War and how Canada fought for the first time without Britain around, and they took this hill in France that both the French and British army's failed to take, and they did it with a couple of new concepts in war, it was a great read.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Possibly all of my favourite books don't include something about war, or the effects of war. Maybe one or two do, but nothing comes to mind.
    I don't read many books about war
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Conflict is an inescapable aspect of being alive. It's how we define ourselves. Some describe love as war.

To answer your original question, probably most of the books that I read, fiction and non-fiction alike, involve some aspect of conflict whether in the past, present or future.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop