hardest pearl jam song/album to learn on guitar?

nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Posts: 344
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys was wondering what you all thought? I need a new challenge 8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Hardest... Probably Avocado or Lost Dogs... but not really that hard.... Song... porch, live with a 10 minute McCready solo while Eddie is off climbing something
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • yeah i was thinking the same... also LOL
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    AzWicker wrote:
    Hardest... Probably Avocado or Lost Dogs... but not really that hard.... Song... porch, live with a 10 minute McCready solo while Eddie is off climbing something
    Probably, but the thing is, its an improvised solo live, why anyone would learn one note for note is beyond me!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    I had a tough time learning Marker b/c of the time changes. Now it's one of my favorites to play.

When I first started playing, RVM always tripped me up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i'm not good at speed so "STBC" is hard for me. in hiding took me a little while to figure out as well.
    and i dominate some porch :D
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Avocado / Nothing as it seems
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i love playing "gone" if you don't know it. not sure how the band plays it i learned from watching this. it's fun for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArslVcMLeQ8
  • for me ten was kind of difficult because i bought the tab book in 1993 and it was not right in a lot of places, but i digress.....

i remember some things on binaural being kind of tough for me, weird chords and things...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I find the first 2 albums the most difficult. Some songs aren't that difficult, but average difficulty for the entire album is difficult to me. Ten I find pretty difficult because it's hard to really focus in on what any one guitar is doing, many songs have that "wall of sound" feel to me. From Vitalogy on there are a bunch of barre chord songs, not all of them obviously, but if you can play barre chords you can pretty much play half the album. But every one of those albums has at least 2 songs I can't play. I haven't attempted much of of Backspacer yet though, so far the only tab I've even looked at was Unthought Known, and it's not really that difficult. I'm not a good finger picker though so songs like "The End" I will not even attempt.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • My first thought is Backspacer actually. "Just Breathe"is not easy at first. "Speed of Sound" I still dont have. Its a little tricky to get all the fills at the right time for "Unthought Known". "Got Some" arrangement is tricky.

-EDIT- I dont know though, just looked through and Binaural is probably the hardest.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    To this day I can't sustain the picking pattern for "Hunger Strike". My fingers just can't pull it off for more that a couple measures. Stupid sausage fingers.

There's a lot of nuance to most of Mike's playing (solos and fills) that can be hard to learn. Really, you gotta just replace his feel with your own. Or, like Mike, spend years trying to play like Jimi and Stevie.

Beyond that, there are some newer songs with kinda weird time signatures that can be hard to remember...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    One song that doesn't really look difficult on paper but has always made me look like a fool is Evacuation. I have no trouble and everything is fine until you get to the "It's like you're waiting for a diamond shore to wash your way" part, and the timing gets all changed up. The actual notes aren't difficult to play, but I can NEVER get it in the right rhythm. I sometimes think Matt wrote that part to specifically mess with guitar players, although I'm sure many others don't have a problem with it (like Mike and Stone), but still, leave it to a drummer to write something that gets all goofy with the rhythm.
  • I know at least half the songs on most albums besides binaural and lost dogs so I'm thinking that's a go also the back half of avocado has some intresting guitar parts on it..... Thanks guys :D
    Yeah, Avocado is pretty interesting as far as guitar goes. Life Wasted is the only song I have ever played that calls for a partial capo, and then playing behind the capo. It's weird but fun. Unemployable is a lot of fun too. I've never learned Come Back note for note, I just know the basic chords and kind of jam and d!ck around with it.
  • Yeah come back is a fun one to play around with as is unemployable!! I've never tried life wasted do you know where to find the best tab for it?
    I go to Given To Wail for all my PJ tabs, except Backspacer since it hasn't been updated with Backspacer tabs yet, or ever possibly. Here's a link to the LIfe Wasted Tab

http://www.giventowail.com/site/tab.php ... =108&aid=1
  • thanks a bunch for your help man :D
    No problem. Lots of good stuff there, just no Backspacer yet though. I don't know if there are any plans to update it anytime soon.
  • DeadlogicDeadlogic Posts: 69
    Yeah, Avocado is pretty interesting as far as guitar goes. Life Wasted is the only song I have ever played that calls for a partial capo, and then playing behind the capo. It's weird but fun. Unemployable is a lot of fun too. I've never learned Come Back note for note, I just know the basic chords and kind of jam and d!ck around with it.

Was about to say the exact same thing about life wasted. Pain in the ass of a song to learn/play, but very rewarding when you get it right.
  • swans05swans05 Posts: 108
    alsos a shit finger picker - hand nerve damage - so i'll never do it

yellow ledbetter is the one i want to play but i feel i never will be able to
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    swans05 wrote:
    alsos a shit finger picker - hand nerve damage - so i'll never do it

yellow ledbetter is the one i want to play but i feel i never will be able to
    It's not too hard, thumb over the neck, C#m, B, A, E.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V