What should I wear? (job related)--Update

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm going to speak with someone tomorrow at my university about a job. I'm not 100% clear what all I would be doing. I think I would essentially help kids in a writing lab. Normally, I would go full out in business suit or nice sweater and black pants. However, I'm not so sure that being formal would be good for this since I want to be approachable to students. So, I'm thinking that a jeans (no holes or ravels), longs sleeve solid color shirt, and a nice scarf might look good. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on what might be best. This is and informal meeting, but it's still a first impression. I have class with the girl I will be replacing and she is always dressed in everyday clothes. Thank you for your advice!

*************************************************************************************************************************************
I opted for black pants and a sweater. I'm really happy I did b/c it turned into more of an interview rather than picking up an application and I got the job!!! So I will be a graduate assistant next year and I can't wait (the pay is not bad either). Anyway, I'm really happy, thank you to everyone for the advice!!!
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The dress for an interview is showing respect for the person you are meeting and that you realize it is an important meeting. I would not dress for the job yet, but wait until you get the job. I have never heard of anyone being turned down because they looked too put together at an interview.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I would dress as you would for any other interview - a nice sweater and black pants is a good option. I work in a college counseling center and while sometimes I can dress down, the higher ups are usually dressed more formally.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    its my experience that its better to go overdressed than under.
    is the person you're interviewing with a person you are friendly with and will you be meeting alone?
    or
    is it a supervisor or someone who is not familiar with you and would you possibly be meeting with others who are not as familiar with you

if you will be meeting with someone other than a good work buddy or good friend, i would def go with the suit or at least nice slacks and a button down, or the sweater as you suggested.

they can always tell you that you don't need to be so formal when you start with your new position :)

Good luck! :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Dress one notch above what the dress code calls for. But never go above business professional and never below 'casual Friday'.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Are you hot?

If so: nothing.

If not: 3-piece tux complete with top hat, monocle, and cane.

Can't go wrong either way.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I would go for the black pants and sweater or shirt. As everyone else said it's a mark of respect to dress slightly more formally than you need to.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    "Cradles wrote:
    I opted for black pants and a sweater. I'm really happy I did b/c it turned into more of an interview rather than picking up an application and I got the job!!! So I will be a graduate assistant next year and I can't wait (the pay is not bad either). Anyway, I'm really happy, thank you to everyone for the advice!!!

Congtratulations! Well done :D
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    Good luck...and my mother does the interviewing for her job...and tells me persons in jeans never get a call back...good advice for everyone id say....
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Congratulations!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    awesome that you got the job!!! congratulations! :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • With your first paycheck, you should buy us all ice cream, for helping you.
    I knew it all along, see?