Any gardeners here?

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm a complete novice, but I'm starting to think this is something I really enjoy. Does anyone else enjoy gardening? Do you have any helpful tips?
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I enjoy gardening. I love the planting and digging in spring...but hate dead heading the annuals all summer long! Our growing season is fairly short, so I plant perenials and flowering shrubs that are fairly drought resistant. That way the upkeep is minimal. It also saves money, as I do not need to buy as many annuals every year. I just need a few for the pots on the deck, but the beds take care of themselves every year.
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    I am a gardener. At the moment I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, chillies and chrysanthemums.

I prefer to plant fruit and vegetables - at least I get something out of it.

Also, its more fun to grow from seed. I prefer to germinate seeds in paper towels, then plant the seedlings - That way I know how many plants I'll have.

some tips:

- be patient
    - don't under/over water
    - don't use too much fertiliser
    - read a lot of stuff online and watch videos
  • Hey! Master Gardener here since 2007....
    Took the course over 4 month's
    The best $250. i have ever spent
    Call you're local Cornell Cooperative Extension [CCE]
    The First and Best tip is..................... Have the soil tested before doing ANYTHING ELSE!!
    Questions? Please feel free to PM me.
    uncle matty
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Hey! Master Gardener here since 2007....
    Took the course over 4 month's
    The best $250. i have ever spent
    Call you're local Cornell Cooperative Extension [CCE]
    The First and Best tip is..................... Have the soil tested before doing ANYTHING ELSE!!
    Questions? Please feel free to PM me.
    I'm impressed! Would like to do that someday but in the meantime I'm a Master Yardener.
    It means I have a yard and I'm trying to master it!

To the OP, we used to have a pretty active gardening thread:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.ph ... +talk+dirt
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Do weed and shrooms count? If so, then I know plenty of gardeners!
    I knew it all along, see?
  • I'm going to do a weekday bump to see if I can get anymore helpful hints or just in case anyone wants to discuss gardening. My plants are in the ground, the flowers look lovely, but the wait on all those tasty veggies isn't going to be easy.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • I like to watch.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    So...

Today I planted 4 tomato plants..
    2 green pepper plants..
    2 red pepper plants..
    4 green bean plants...
    3 cucumber plants....

Cant wait to see how this turns out...
    Should be well worth the laugh...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    love gardening...and didn't know the first thing about it either! I plant a lot of perennials and have a beautiful wildflower garden going on. They come back every year without fail. A lot of them have seeded and spread throughout the garden...every year things come up that I didn't plant. It's really beautiful and whimsical, and attracts lots of hummingbirds and butterflies. I'll post pictures as soon as the flowers all open up.

We've also put up several birdhouses around the garden and along the fence. We get all kinds of beautiful, colorful birds around, and currently are housing 4 new birdie families :D The kids love it.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Love to garden! This year we are getting all our stuff in so late though! It actually snowed here on friday night. I was so glad that I hadnt put anything in yet cause we had frost at night all last week. Tomorrow my daughter and I are gonna put it all in the ground. Heres a sampling of the stuff we bought. Half of it at Costcos garden center and the other half at the local greenhouse.

-Tumbling Strawberries
    -Tumbling Yellow Tomatos
    - Early Red Peppers
    - Regular Green Peppers
    - Celery
    - Cilantro
    - Romaine and Butterleaf lettuces
    - Zuccini
    - Cucumbers
    - 3 other varieties of tomato plants
    - Seeds for Peas, Beans, Carrots, Sunflowers and Zinnias.

For flowery stuff we got:
    -Pansies
    -Marigolds
    -Impatiens
    -Snapdragons
    -Blackeyed Susans
    -and 4 hanging assorted baskets.

Im gonna be a busy lady this week!!!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • My advice is that when it is too cool or wet, make a frame out of PVC pipe and cover it with 4mil clear plastic and you have a mobile greenhouse. It's the only way I can get veggi's to grow in Washington. Right now my beans and cucumbers are about 3 feet tall and my neighbors plants are barely out of the ground.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011