I need (auto) biography recommendations

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I like biographies of musicians. I need a recommendation on some good autobiographies or biographies of musicians. Preferebly stuff I'm into (PJ, Nirvana, STP, Billy Corgan, etc).

Help?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Eric Clapton.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Shakey by Neil Young is an awesome read.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DOWNerDOWNer Posts: 60
    Johnny Cash's autobiography is one of the best books I've ever read! I highly recommend it, even if you're not a big fan.
    <a href="http://www.artsymcgee.com/"&gt;
    artsymcgee.com</a>
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I've heard Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis of RHCP is an amazing read, been meaning to pick it up myself.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Bob Dylan wrote a good one called Chronicles.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • clashmanclashman Posts: 320
    life- keith richards is fun to read.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Jaco: The Extraordinary And Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius.

Good read.
  • samjam wrote:
    I've heard Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis of RHCP is an amazing read, been meaning to pick it up myself.

have that one. it's awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Eric Clapton.

my Dad lent that one to me, and it was so overly detailed about every little minute of his life, I couldn't get through it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RB162313RB162313 Posts: 51
    Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis of RHCP is an amazing read! I think I will read it again. Also the long hard road out of hell by Marilyn Manson is a good one. Tucker Max , Assholes finish first, has me still laughing
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Eric Clapton's is good.

Heavier than Heaven, the biography of Kurt Kobain is even better.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Eric Clapton's is good.

yeah, I have HTH, and it was awesome, but again, Clapton's was just too detailed for me to keep interest.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Paul David wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Eric Clapton's is good.

yeah, I have HTH, and it was awesome, but again, Clapton's was just too detailed for me to keep interest.
    I suppose it depends how much you like him. I read it in about 4 sittings and loved it. Also a lot of the areas mentioned in his young days i know as he was brought up a short drive from me.
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    Paul David wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Eric Clapton.

my Dad lent that one to me, and it was so overly detailed about every little minute of his life, I couldn't get through it.

all the details of his childhood are a little boring. All the details of when he lost his mind are not.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    also.. its not an autobiography exactly but ive heard the rolling stones book exile on main street is pretty damn entertaining.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Zora duntov
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis is by far the best autobiography I have read - that man should not be alive! Heavier Than Heaven was good too.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • tinkerbell wrote:
    Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis is by far the best autobiography I have read - that man should not be alive! Heavier Than Heaven was good too.

I found those two books to be so parallel it was scarey.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I liked Courtney Love The Real Story (Poppy Z Brite) not that I like her all that much but I like the author and the other people featured in the book. I feel the same about Marilyn Manson's biography, don't like him much either really but is interesting. It might sound wierd to read bios on people I don't like but it some how makes it more interesting??? :? Also The Many Lives of Tom Waits, found that super interesting because he is influenced by alot of musicians I am into. Plus he was born in the back of a Taxi which I find quite bizarre. :lol: Casualties of Rock is also pretty interesting too.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    If you like jazz, then Miles Davis. It's the most colorful and fun autobiography I've read by any musician. Keith Richard's Life a close second. Also Johnny Cash's is good.
  • sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    There's a lot of Jim Morrison ones out there, 'No one here gets out alive' is a good read. There's a Scott Weiland memoir that's come out recently called 'Not dead & not for sale'. There's a Slash one, also Dave Navarro, and as others have said Anthony Keidis Scar Tissue is a good read.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Currently reading Together Alone: The Story of the Finn Brothers. No explanation required, interesting so far.
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 343
    open up and bleed: iggy pop by paul trynka is the best iggy autobiography out there. avoid gimme danger: the story of iggy pop, because that is just riled with 2% fact, 98% bullshit.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Paul David wrote:
    samjam wrote:

have that one. it's awesome.
    +2, Uncle Neil's is a good read, too.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I've read a lot on Jim Morrison and No One Here Gets Out Alive was my favorite
    Slash
    Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
    Rotten - John Lydon
    Big Man - Clarence Clemons. I loved this but if you're not a Springsteen fan you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    William Shatner:
    1)Get a Life
    2) Movie Memories
    3) Up till Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_P45feBkrg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3PoEwRi5XQ
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Light my Fire: My life with The Doors by Ray Manzarek (the keyboardist) is a great read
    Slash was Ok (another man that should be dead!)
    Billy Connolly by Pamela Stephenson (his wife) is another good one - he is my favourite comedian
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    Not a musician as such but music related, I picked up John Peel's autobiography last month. What I've read so far is very good. John was writing the book before his death so it was only half finished. The rest of the book is completed by his wife and children. Its called "Margrave Of The Marshes".

I noticed yesterday that Mick Wall is releasing a Springsteen biography in a couple of weeks, I might have to buy that.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    It's not an autobiography, but John Lennon: The Life was really good. It's a big read. You'd have to have a broken leg or something to read the entire thing.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Yeh scar tissue for sure
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014