Options

What was the actuall reason Dave A was fired?

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I know he had a couple of guns that Ed really didn't like, and that he disagreed with the ticketmaster boycott, etc...but when it came down to it was there a specific reason he was fired?
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I heard it was because he was a douchebag.
  • Options
    CGPJCGPJ Posts: 23
    I was also curious about this... think his drumming kicked ass... I also really liked Jack Irons (not to mention Krusen... whatever happened to him btw)... but Irons decided to hang it up on his own I think.
    "whatever prize there waaa-aaas, I could only observe"
  • Options
    tombrady12tombrady12 Posts: 57
    bought a gun in fact i got 2... did interviews with rock mags... too into the rock star life. At least that's what ED told me then..
    "if you hate something don't you do it too.." "You wanta toe? i can get you toe. Believe me there are ways Dude.."
  • Options
    ccRyderzzccRyderzz Posts: 163
    This world needs a HERO.. Someone to stand up! So what the heck get your heads out of the sand and start standing do what you can! One Voice. One truth? One Love? Oneness? And billions will follow you..
    You know the story of the Pide piper? Turn the tide.. Turn the page its time folks to take up the mighty pen and start talking and start networking to tell the truth about the world and to take time to change it.. Don't sit there on your duffs waiting for someone else to take a stand.. Only you can decide to change
    and ya know as citizens we can do this.. Yep It can happen!! HOPE
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    fuck knows.. but his surname is worth 13543 points in Scrabble
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    CGPJ wrote:
    I also really liked Jack Irons (not to mention Krusen... whatever happened to him btw)... but Irons decided to hang it up on his own I think.

Jack was a manic depressant, so he had to take a break
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    CGPJ wrote:
    I was also curious about this... think his drumming kicked ass... I also really liked Jack Irons (not to mention Krusen... whatever happened to him btw)... but Irons decided to hang it up on his own I think.

David Krusen (born March 10, 1966 in Tacoma, Washington) is an American rock drummer who is best known for being Pearl Jam's original drummer and for his work on the band's hit album Ten.

Pearl Jam

Dave Krusen was recruited in 1990 by bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard to be the drummer for Pearl Jam. Krusen was a member of the band from its first official show on October 22, 1990 to the completion of the band's debut album, Ten. After the recording sessions for Ten were completed, Krusen left Pearl Jam in May 1991 and checked himself into rehab.[1]

Hovercraft

In the mid-1990s, Krusen joined Beth Liebling and Ryan Shinn in the band Hovercraft under the stage name "Karl 3-30". Krusen replaced previous drummer Eddie Vedder. With a more technically proficient drummer, the band was now free to play beyond the lo-fidelity noise experiments of its debut release, and play proper shows with structured improvisation and avant experimantalism. While as a member of Hovercraft, Krusen toured with the band and recorded the album Akathisia.

Candlebox

He was also the second drummer for Candlebox, replacing previous drummer Scott Mercado. Krusen joined in 1997 and recorded the album Happy Pills while as a member of the band. Krusen left the band in 1999 and was replaced by Shannon Larkin of Ugly Kid Joe. Krusen recently completed eight tracks on the latest Candlebox record, Into the Sun, due out in July 2008.

Unified Theory

Krusen played drums with the band Unified Theory on its self-titled album, issued in August 2000. The band was made up of two ex-Blind Melon members (bassist Brad Smith and guitarist Christopher Thorn) and newcomer Chris Shinn on vocals/guitar. Unified Theory began to form in early 1998. After the first plan to carry on Blind Melon with a new singer didn't work out, Smith and Thorn decided to start a new band and came across vocalist Chris Shinn after moving to Los Angeles. Krusen was already friends with Thorn and Smith. While working on tracks for a second album, delays set the band back, and Krusen grew somewhat frustrated and left. This eventually lead to Unified Theory's breakup.

He was a part of a Seattle-based band called Novatone which released the album Time Can't Wait in 2005. He was Cheyenne Kimball's drummer from 2005 to 2007 and played on her debut album. He is currently working on a blues/noise-groove, avant-garde record and performing live and in the studio with various artists including Martyr Reef, Carolyna Loveless, Chris Robinson and Puppies and Kittens. In 2008, he has been the drummer for the band The Kings Royal during the band's summer tour with Candlebox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Krusen

http://www.myspace.com/342306842
  • Options
    Jboogie wrote:
    David Krusen (born March 10, 1966 in Tacoma, Washington) is an American rock drummer who is best known for being Pearl Jam's original drummer and for his work on the band's hit album Ten.

Pearl Jam

Dave Krusen was recruited in 1990 by bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard to be the drummer for Pearl Jam. Krusen was a member of the band from its first official show on October 22, 1990 to the completion of the band's debut album, Ten. After the recording sessions for Ten were completed, Krusen left Pearl Jam in May 1991 and checked himself into rehab.[1]

Hovercraft

In the mid-1990s, Krusen joined Beth Liebling and Ryan Shinn in the band Hovercraft under the stage name "Karl 3-30". Krusen replaced previous drummer Eddie Vedder. With a more technically proficient drummer, the band was now free to play beyond the lo-fidelity noise experiments of its debut release, and play proper shows with structured improvisation and avant experimantalism. While as a member of Hovercraft, Krusen toured with the band and recorded the album Akathisia.

Candlebox

He was also the second drummer for Candlebox, replacing previous drummer Scott Mercado. Krusen joined in 1997 and recorded the album Happy Pills while as a member of the band. Krusen left the band in 1999 and was replaced by Shannon Larkin of Ugly Kid Joe. Krusen recently completed eight tracks on the latest Candlebox record, Into the Sun, due out in July 2008.

Unified Theory

Krusen played drums with the band Unified Theory on its self-titled album, issued in August 2000. The band was made up of two ex-Blind Melon members (bassist Brad Smith and guitarist Christopher Thorn) and newcomer Chris Shinn on vocals/guitar. Unified Theory began to form in early 1998. After the first plan to carry on Blind Melon with a new singer didn't work out, Smith and Thorn decided to start a new band and came across vocalist Chris Shinn after moving to Los Angeles. Krusen was already friends with Thorn and Smith. While working on tracks for a second album, delays set the band back, and Krusen grew somewhat frustrated and left. This eventually lead to Unified Theory's breakup.

He was a part of a Seattle-based band called Novatone which released the album Time Can't Wait in 2005. He was Cheyenne Kimball's drummer from 2005 to 2007 and played on her debut album. He is currently working on a blues/noise-groove, avant-garde record and performing live and in the studio with various artists including Martyr Reef, Carolyna Loveless, Chris Robinson and Puppies and Kittens. In 2008, he has been the drummer for the band The Kings Royal during the band's summer tour with Candlebox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Krusen

http://www.myspace.com/342306842

Thanks Dave.....er, Jboogie
    "It's gonna be a long night." e.v. 7/11/03
  • Options
    I thought that Dave K left to join the band on the Late show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    That was Matt Chamberlain.

Matt Chamberlain began playing drums at the age of 10.

He received his first set of drums at age 15, and studied with David Garibaldi, Murray Spivack, Chuck Flores, and Greg Bissonette before being awarded a scholarship to study at North Texas State University three years later. He started playing professionally in the Dallas, Texas Deep Ellum scene in the mid 80's.

His first notable work was with Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, with whom he toured and recorded from 1988 until 1991. In 1991 he briefly joined the band Pearl Jam and toured with them before the release of their debut album Ten. He can be seen in the band's first video, "Alive". After a season in the house band for Saturday Night Live, he moved to Seattle to start the out groove band Critters Buggin which is currently active. He has worked on combining live and looped drums, often creating loops on the fly and then playing along to them. Tori Amos has introduced Chamberlain as "the human loop" at her concerts.

Chamberlain has contributed his drumming to the tours and albums of Tori Amos, Morrissey, Fiona Apple, Critters Buggin, Dido, Sean Lennon, The Master Musicians of Jajouka, Robert Fripp, Sara Bareilles, Jon Brion, David Torn, Indigo Girls, Weapon of Choice, Macy Gray, Stone Gossard, Christian McBride, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Tim and Neil Finn, David Bowie, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, The Wallflowers, Natalie Merchant, Bill Frisell, the Saturday Night Live Band, Robbie Williams, Kanye West, Garbage, Anika Moa, Shakira, John Mayer, Brad Mehldau, Liz Phair, Chris Isaak, Dave Navarro, Kevin Max, Sam Phillips and William Shatner. In 2005 he released a self-titled solo album on Web Of Mimicry Records that he describes as "an imaginary soundtrack to an Asian-Western-Sci-Fi-Horror Movie".
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    that's right- thank you
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I thought that Dave K left to join the band on the Late show

you may be thinking about matt chamberlain who left the band to drum for SNL's house band.
    2000 - Houston (x2)
    2003 - Houston, NOLA
    2005 - Toronto, Mexico City (x2)
    2006 - DC, NYC Avalon (Storytellers), E Rutherford (x2), SF (x3)
    2007 - Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden (x2), DC, NYC MSG (x2), EV DC (x2)
    2009 - EV Baltimore (x2)
    2011 - EV SF (x2), Toronto (x2)
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Matt Chamberlain began playing drums at the age of 10.

He received his first set of drums at age 15, and studied with David Garibaldi, Murray Spivack, Chuck Flores, and Greg Bissonette before being awarded a scholarship to study at North Texas State University three years later. He started playing professionally in the Dallas, Texas Deep Ellum scene in the mid 80's.

His first notable work was with Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, with whom he toured and recorded from 1988 until 1991. In 1991 he briefly joined the band Pearl Jam and toured with them before the release of their debut album Ten. He can be seen in the band's first video, "Alive". After a season in the house band for Saturday Night Live, he moved to Seattle to start the out groove band Critters Buggin which is currently active. He has worked on combining live and looped drums, often creating loops on the fly and then playing along to them. Tori Amos has introduced Chamberlain as "the human loop" at her concerts.

Chamberlain has contributed his drumming to the tours and albums of Tori Amos, Morrissey, Fiona Apple, Critters Buggin, Dido, Sean Lennon, The Master Musicians of Jajouka, Robert Fripp, Sara Bareilles, Jon Brion, David Torn, Indigo Girls, Weapon of Choice, Macy Gray, Stone Gossard, Christian McBride, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Tim and Neil Finn, David Bowie, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, The Wallflowers, Natalie Merchant, Bill Frisell, the Saturday Night Live Band, Robbie Williams, Kanye West, Garbage, Anika Moa, Shakira, John Mayer, Brad Mehldau, Liz Phair, Chris Isaak, Dave Navarro, Kevin Max, Sam Phillips and William Shatner. In 2005 he released a self-titled solo album on Web Of Mimicry Records that he describes as "an imaginary soundtrack to an Asian-Western-Sci-Fi-Horror Movie".

I didn't know Matt played with Kanye.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Ed kept getting confused between him and Beth. :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Drugs addicts cant play with my boys.
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Read "Five Against One" and make up your own mind.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    thats what glorified g is about
  • Options
    it was ed showing that it was his band. throwing his weight around and letting everyone know that it was going to be his way

say what you will about him but jack irons drumming for pearl jam during ten/vs/vitalogy would have been HORRIBLY boring. dave was the perfect combination of power and skill.
  • Options
    This was a reply to 3 inputchick btw.

Given To Fly

Drugs addicts cant play with my boys.

Hmm if thats the case then why does the master still have a job huh??? (besides the fact that he is a guitar God).
    He was an admitted drug addict and alcoholic until January 2000. (He told me when I met him at the Key in Dec 2002 that he has been sober for 11 months and so many days...forget exact amount of days).

If Dave A was on drugs I don't think that was the main reason for his firing or Mikey woulda been gone too.
    It really doesn't matter now...its been 15 years let it go people!

Besides Matt Cameron is a WAAAAAAAY better drummer than Dave A.

All Hail Matt Cameron!!!!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    it was stones fault...
    end of story ;)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    Hmm if thats the case then why does the master still have a job huh??? (besides the fact that he is a guitar God).

He was an admitted drug addict and alcoholic until January 2000. (He told me when I met him at the Key in Dec 2002 that he has been sober for 11 months and so many days...forget exact amount of days).

If Dave A was on drugs I don't think that was the main reason for his firing or Mikey woulda been gone too.

It really doesn't matter now...its been 15 years let it go people!

Besides Matt Cameron is a WAAAAAAAY better drummer than Dave A.

All Hail Matt Cameron!!!!!

*Matt Cameron kicks ass...

*Dave was NOT a "drug addict" (unless weed and winstons make you a drug addict... then yeah... I suppose...)

*If I recall correctly.. Mike was IN REHAB when they fired Dave. Apparently the first of many attempts to get clean. And they... as you pointed out, ACC, kept him around through all his trials and tribulations. (although he IS The Master Mike McCready and Dave is a rather mere mortal.)

*Major contributors in the Five Against One book are Dave and his ex-girlfriend.

*Take a look at the Place/Date book. Dave is not portrayed in a positive light ONCE. Ed did not choose those pics all by himself.

*One pic is of Jeff throwing a punch at Dave!

*Stone did the firing. If it was just Ed do you really think Stone would have done it?

*And yeah. Dave wasn't a drug addict. But he also had his carpal tunnel problems too. And, well, you know... He was (and is!) Dave Abbruzzese!
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    This is what is said in Spin's "Ten Past Ten" article:

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: I just thought that was ridiculous. I liked where we started out, I liked the notion of going out and playing for ten bucks a show and selling shirts and doing all these things inexpensively and keeping integrity. But, you know, you don't sacrifice the fucking music that you make. When I got fired, I thought I was meeting with Stone to talk about working with [U2 producer] Daniel Lanois. I was thinking, man, we should work with somebody who'll take this band somewhere and let us be magical rather than go drag our feet and just poop out some records. We could take a shit on a piece of styrofoam and people would buy 2 million before they smelled it. So let's go make something amazing.

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: Stone would kind of be the bridge of everyone's gap. When he stopped taking that role, the music changed, and [the band] became a less communicative, more whispery place.

BRENDAN O'BRIEN: And Dave Abbruzzese, for whatever reason, he and Eddie didn't get along.

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: I felt like there was a time when I had a good friendship with that guy. And then all of a sudden I didn't know him. But I understand—shit, if I was freaking out about stuff and having panic attacks, I can't even begin to fathom what the hell he was going through. I give it up to him just for surviving it.

KELLY CURTIS: There was definitely a difference in philosophies. Politics, pro-choice, anti-gun, respect for women, all of that stuff. The responsibilities of being a member of PJ and what message that sends.

JEFF AMENT: Dave was a different egg for sure. There were a lot of things, personality wise, where I didn't see eye to eye with him. He was more comfortable being a rock star than the rest of us. Partying, girls, cars. I don't know if anyone was in the same space. Also, with Dave, musically, when you'd say, "I want this to sound more like the Buzzcocks," I don't think he related to that at all. He was a technical guy, and we all played by feeling, or by seeing bands.

STONE GOSSARD: It was the nature of how the politics worked in our band: It was up to me to say, "Hey, we tried, it's not working; time to move on." On a superficial level, it was a political struggle: For whatever reason his ability to communicate with Ed and Jeff was very stifled. I certainly don't think it was all Dave Abrruzzese's fault that it was stifled.

DAVE ABRUZZESE: Stone showed up as a man, and as a good friend. I hope to one day tell him how much I appreciate [that]. I had just soured. I didn't really agree with what was going on. I didn't agree with the Ticketmaster stuff at all. But I don't blame anyone or harbor any hard feelings. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't furious and hurt for a long time. But now I just wish there was more music from the band I was a part of.

STONE GOSSARD: Jack entered the band right at the end of making Vitalogy. Jack's a breath of fresh air, a family man. Everybody had a strong sense of friendship with him immediately. He was just there to play drums and help out.

Source: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/spin801.shtml
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331
    This is what is said in Spin's "Ten Past Ten" article:

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: I just thought that was ridiculous. I liked where we started out, I liked the notion of going out and playing for ten bucks a show and selling shirts and doing all these things inexpensively and keeping integrity. But, you know, you don't sacrifice the fucking music that you make. When I got fired, I thought I was meeting with Stone to talk about working with [U2 producer] Daniel Lanois. I was thinking, man, we should work with somebody who'll take this band somewhere and let us be magical rather than go drag our feet and just poop out some records. We could take a shit on a piece of styrofoam and people would buy 2 million before they smelled it. So let's go make something amazing.

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: Stone would kind of be the bridge of everyone's gap. When he stopped taking that role, the music changed, and [the band] became a less communicative, more whispery place.

BRENDAN O'BRIEN: And Dave Abbruzzese, for whatever reason, he and Eddie didn't get along.

DAVE ABBRUZZESE: I felt like there was a time when I had a good friendship with that guy. And then all of a sudden I didn't know him. But I understand—shit, if I was freaking out about stuff and having panic attacks, I can't even begin to fathom what the hell he was going through. I give it up to him just for surviving it.

KELLY CURTIS: There was definitely a difference in philosophies. Politics, pro-choice, anti-gun, respect for women, all of that stuff. The responsibilities of being a member of PJ and what message that sends.

JEFF AMENT: Dave was a different egg for sure. There were a lot of things, personality wise, where I didn't see eye to eye with him. He was more comfortable being a rock star than the rest of us. Partying, girls, cars. I don't know if anyone was in the same space. Also, with Dave, musically, when you'd say, "I want this to sound more like the Buzzcocks," I don't think he related to that at all. He was a technical guy, and we all played by feeling, or by seeing bands.

STONE GOSSARD: It was the nature of how the politics worked in our band: It was up to me to say, "Hey, we tried, it's not working; time to move on." On a superficial level, it was a political struggle: For whatever reason his ability to communicate with Ed and Jeff was very stifled. I certainly don't think it was all Dave Abrruzzese's fault that it was stifled.

DAVE ABRUZZESE: Stone showed up as a man, and as a good friend. I hope to one day tell him how much I appreciate [that]. I had just soured. I didn't really agree with what was going on. I didn't agree with the Ticketmaster stuff at all. But I don't blame anyone or harbor any hard feelings. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't furious and hurt for a long time. But now I just wish there was more music from the band I was a part of.

STONE GOSSARD: Jack entered the band right at the end of making Vitalogy. Jack's a breath of fresh air, a family man. Everybody had a strong sense of friendship with him immediately. He was just there to play drums and help out.

Source: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/spin801.shtml

Thanks! Awesome post :)
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    After they made their first million dollars, Ed didn't want the guys to buy any expensive stuff, at least until the heat was off from the robbery. When they got together to celebrate at a bar, Dave showed up in a new pink cadillac that he just bought for his wife and Eddie was like, "What the fuck, I thought I told you not to go buying anything expensive?" To which Dave replied, "It's Ok, it's in my mother's name, it's a wedding gift." Ed was none too pleased, so he kicked his ass out of the party and told him to return it. The next morning Dave and his new wife were found wacked in the cadillac by by some neighborhood kids.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    suppafreak wrote:
    Thanks! Awesome post :)

You're welcome. :)
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    it was stones fault...
    end of story ;)

Thank you, too!
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    Murderers wrote:
    I know he had a couple of guns that Ed really didn't like, and that he disagreed with the ticketmaster boycott, etc...but when it came down to it was there a specific reason he was fired?
    ed hated him...that's why.
  • Options
    ed was a pissy little bitch back then.
  • Options
    mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417
    Brain Of E wrote:
    After they made their first million dollars, Ed didn't want the guys to buy any expensive stuff, at least until the heat was off from the robbery. When they got together to celebrate at a bar, Dave showed up in a new pink cadillac that he just bought for his wife and Eddie was like, "What the fuck, I thought I told you not to go buying anything expensive?" To which Dave replied, "It's Ok, it's in my mother's name, it's a wedding gift." Ed was none too pleased, so he kicked his ass out of the party and told him to return it. The next morning Dave and his new wife were found wacked in the cadillac by by some neighborhood kids.

Wow...that's incredible!!!

(They should make a movie out of that!) ;)
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Brain Of E wrote:

"but I love that car!"
This discussion has been closed.