Educate me on UK/British sports-cricket-rugby-football

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Im an anglophile and would actually like to learn about UK/British sports, and the type of sports popular over there. I assume, its cricket, and rugby and football, but can anyone educate me on these? when do the seasons for each start? best clubs and teams from each sport?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Quidditch is Huge over there! my favorite team is the Chudley Cannons.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Im an anglophile and would actually like to learn about UK/British sports, and the type of sports popular over there. I assume, its cricket, and rugby and football, but can anyone educate me on these? when do the seasons for each start? best clubs and teams from each sport?
    I could be wrong, but I believe the rules of rugby involve a bunch of guys playing a version of the school-yard game "smear the (deleted for politically correct reasons)" where points are distributed at random.
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    Football is Mid August to mid May - so all coming to the end of the season right now. (United just beat Chelsea 0-1 in the first leg of the Champion's League quarter final - COME ON ! )

Cricket is a summer sport.

Rugby ? Neither know nor care.
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • could you be a tad more specific. i know next to nothing about association football. all i really have an image of is zidane headbutting that buy in 2006, and i know about ronaldo, and i know that beckham used to be on manchester united right?

who are the top football teams? is manchester united the best? who else?
  • RASTA MOUSERASTA MOUSE Posts: 278
    West Ham UTD the greatest English club
  • West Ham UTD the greatest English club

:lol::lol::lol:
  • like US baseball has the yanks, and us pro basketball has the lakers and the celtics in terms of these huge teams that have dynasties and all that, does association football have any of that? really, im a beginner and newbie. all i know is as i said above, a few images of it.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    As an American fan who follows UK Football, here are a few differences vs. U.S. Pro Sports

Players are not traded to other teams...they are sold (transfered) for very huge amounts. The highest transfer fee was paid to Man U. from Real Madrid in the amount of 80 Million British Pounds ($120 Million) for Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago. Teams purchase players from all over the world.

The 20 top teams play in the "premiership". At the end of the season, the bottom 3 teams are relagated down to the next lower league, known as the "Championship", which is made up of 24 teams. The top 2 finishers in the Championship are promoted to the Premiership, and the teams that finish 3rd thru 6th compete in a play-off, with the winner promoted to the Premiership. The 3 teams at the bottom of the Championship are relagated to the first division, and the top 2 teams in the first division, as well as the play-off winner, are promoted to the championship. This gives every team incentive to perform well. An NFL team could be 0-16, but they still stay in the NFL. A poorly-performing team in the UK could face demotion, which causes huge financial losses, and often forces the demoted team to sell-off many of their players.

Younger players who show promise in the UK are often recruited to attend a team's academy, where they live, attend school, and receive high-level football training. Younger players also play for lower-division teams, and once they show enough skills, they are purchased by clubs in higher leagues. University-level football doesn't really serve as a source of professional players as it does in the U.S.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Football:
    Currently the biggest teams in England are Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool

Biggest teams in Scotland and Rangers are Celtic (huge rivalry ... fans largely separated along protestant/catholic lines)

Cricket:

Various different forms of the game played. Test matches (3 or 5 day international games) or limited overs (an over is a series of 6 balls being bowled) ... English teams are generally by county

Rugby:

There are two codes ... rugby league (closest of the two to American Football) and rugby union (the better game ;))
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • another question, so the world cup is every 4 years right? just had one last year, in 2010? but how do they measure the top teams in 2011 and 2012 and 2013, in the years without a world cup? does football have the equivilant of the superbowl and the finals and the world series during those years? as its coming to an end in may, as someone said, how will the season end? are they in tournaments right now?
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    As an American fan who follows UK Football, here are a few differences vs. U.S. Pro Sports

Players are not traded to other teams...they are sold (transfered) for very huge amounts. The highest transfer fee was paid to Man U. from Real Madrid in the amount of 80 Million British Pounds ($120 Million) for Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago. Teams purchase players from all over the world.

The 20 top teams play in the "premiership". At the end of the season, the bottom 3 teams are relagated down to the next lower league, known as the "Championship", which is made up of 24 teams. The top 2 finishers in the Championship are promoted to the Premiership, and the teams that finish 3rd thru 6th compete in a play-off, with the winner promoted to the Premiership. The 3 teams at the bottom of the Championship are relagated to the first division, and the top 2 teams in the first division, as well as the play-off winner, are promoted to the championship. This gives every team incentive to perform well. An NFL team could be 0-16, but they still stay in the NFL. A poorly-performing team in the UK could face demotion, which causes huge financial losses, and often forces the demoted team to sell-off many of their players.

Younger players who show promise in the UK are often recruited to attend a team's academy, where they live, attend school, and receive high-level football training. Younger players also play for lower-division teams, and once they show enough skills, they are purchased by clubs in higher leagues. University-level football doesn't really serve as a source of professional players as it does in the U.S.

thanks read this after i posted my statement, so this helps. so theres the championship each year? and then the world cup, is just when every countries club plays against all the other countries? in essence a world olypmics of football?
  • joejoejoe, what clubs do you follow? which ones showed the most promise this year as its coming to a close? ive been reading that man united and liverpool are the 2 top UK clubs, anyone else who are the big guns?
    another question, so the world cup is every 4 years right? just had one last year, in 2010? but how do they measure the top teams in 2011 and 2012 and 2013, in the years without a world cup? does football have the equivalent of the superbowl and the finals and the world series during those years? as its coming to an end in may, as someone said, how will the season end? are they in tournaments right now?

The World Cup is for international teams. The stages before the next tournament will take several years to find the teams that reach the finals. This is why it is once every four years. Continents also have international championships. In Europe this is also every 4 years and falls in between the world cups.

Club competitions are decided every year. In England the top league is The Premiership (Italy = Serie A, Germany = Bundesliga etc) and is decided by who is at the top of the league at the end of the season so in that sense no equivalent to Superbowl.

There are also knock out cup competition that allow teams across divisions to compete. In England this is the FA cup and the League Cup but winning The Premiership is more prized than winning these competitions.

There is also a competition where the top clubs in Europe compete against each other the Champions League.

EDIT: sorry didn't see JOEJOEJOE's post until after I had written this
  • Manchester UTD the greatest English club

fixed . :D
  • Manchester UTD the greatest English club

OK you're gonna confuse him.

THE top team in England is Accrington Stanley
    Manchester UTD the greatest English club

OK you're gonna confuse him.

:? Who are they? :twisted: :lol:

(someone had to do it ;) )

EDIT: for any non-Brits this references an ad from the 80s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieK7b4KLL4
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    The Rugby (union) World Cup is this September & October here in NZ. I am a rugby widow, my husband plays in the local team but also used to play rep rugby.
    http://www.allblacks.com/ the greatest team in the world (that haven't won a world cup in 20 years :oops: )
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • chime wrote:

:? Who are they? :twisted: :lol:

(someone had to do it ;) )

EDIT: for any non-Brits this references an ad from the 80s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieK7b4KLL4

:lol::lol::lol:
  • i forget who it is, but someone on this board has a liverpool club avatar. very cool. i love the way the logos look. they almost resemble family crests or something
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    like US baseball has the yanks, and us pro basketball has the lakers and the celtics in terms of these huge teams that have dynasties and all that, does association football have any of that? really, im a beginner and newbie. all i know is as i said above, a few images of it.

Oh yeah !

Most football clubs have histories of well over 100 years. They have their roots in working men's clubs where teams were put together from railway builders, steelworkers, dockers and so on. At its heart, football is a working class game for the working class man. Oh how things have changed though.

I'll speak about the 'dynasty' of United. (You don't need to say 'Manchester United' - there's only United!) They grew from a team called Newton Heath, a team of railway builders who started a club in Manchester. Enjoyed success and became one of the top flight English teams.

In the 1950s, United became the first English team to play in the European Cup - the competition where the champions of each countries leagues played each other to find the champions of Europe. At the time, the English FA (football's governing body) didn't want United to play in Europe and threatened to throw them out. (There has always been a quite anti England / London agenda with United, with a northern 'Republican' attitude a chief characteristic) United's manager, Matt Busby, who had nurtured a team of young, exciting players up from the aftermath of the war, carried on regardless.

On February 8th, 1958, United were travelling back from Yugoslavia after playing in the quarter-finals of the competition. Stopping over at Munich airport, their plane crash landed on take off, killing 23 people, including eight players, some of the best, most talented and promising individuals to play the game. Ten years later, after rebuilding his team, Matt Busby lead United to their first European Championship. United are the phoenix who rose from the ashes. Their fame and following is largely due to this tragic episode and are a team built on a tradition of attractive, attacking, never say die football. For more see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster

In 1999, United won the European Cup again - beating Bayern Munich on what would have been Sir Matt's birthday with two injury time goals. They became the first and only team to win the ‘Treble’ of European Cup, FA Cup and Premier League in one season. Watching that game with my Dad – who watched the ‘Busby’s Babes’ team one week and then stood outside his house to see the hearses brought back from the airport the next - remains the single most joyous event of my life.

In the past twenty years United have dominated English football but things aren’t the same anymore. It’s not a working man’s game, with the average fan unable to afford or secure tickets. All seater stadiums have ruined the atmosphere and experience of the true fan and foreign investors have come in, in United’s case, asset stripping Americans who see the business opportunities and have no idea of the traditions or pride or identity of what it means to be a football fan. We have enjoyed some fine fine moments and I count myself blessed to have been born and bred a red and know that any other true football fan has his own story and pride in their allegiance, whatever their success. I too look forward to hearing more of them here …

"We are the pride of all Europe,
    The cock of the north
    We hate the scousers,
    The cockneys of course
    And Leeds. "
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    So for cricket, the best team to support is Australia...

Check out Rugby League. A much better game than Rugby union...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I have tried to understand cricket my entire life. I've watched it, had it explained to me AND STILL IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to understand how this game is played.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    I have tried to understand cricket my entire life. I've watched it, had it explained to me AND STILL IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!

The Basic Rules of Cricket

Cricket is played with two teams of eleven, with two umpires (referees) on an oval shaped field. The size of the field varies, but generally has a diameter of around 200 metres. A cricket bat is oblong shaped with a narrow handle. A full-sized bat is around 90 centimetres in length. A cricket ball is made of cork and covered with leather, and is then stitched up. A ball weighs around 10 ounces.

In the middle of the field is what is known as a pitch. A pitch is a hard, flat strip of dry ground around 18 metres long. Two batsman are at the pitch at a time, both at different ends, with one facing the delivery of the ball from the bowler. The bowler runs up to the pitch where he bowls the ball overarm with a straight arm. Further details on the correct bowling action can be found here.

Teams score by getting runs. A run is completed when a batsman hits the ball and then runs to the other end of the cricket pitch, getting past the crease. The non striking batsman has to run to the opposite end as well. The batsman can run as many times as they like, but the batsmen can get out if their stumps are hit with the ball by a fielder before the batsman reaches the crease. The stumps are three sticks of equal size measuring around 90 centimetres tall with 5 centimetres separating them. Bails (small pieces of wood) are balanced on top of the stumps.

Other ways runs can be scored are by hitting boundaries. Boundaries are scored when the ball is hit and touches or goes past the outer edge of the field. Four runs are scored when the batsmen hits the ball and the ball hits the ground before reaching the outer edge of the boundary, and six runs are scored when the ball is hit and goes over the boundary without touching the ground. Runs can also be scored in the following ways: No balls, when the bowler oversteps the crease, bowls in a dangerous manner or incorrectly. A no ball is worth one run. A wide is scored when the ball goes outside the line of the pitch before coming in line with the batsman. This is also worth one run. A leg bye is scored when the ball hits the batsman but doesnt contact his bat and then proceeds to run. A bye is scored when the batsman runs without the ball coming into into contact with the batsman or his bat, and then runs.

The fielding team can get the batsman out in several ways, by 1) catching him out. This is done when the batsman hits the ball with his bat and a fielder catches the ball on the full (without bouncing). By 2) bowling him out. This happens when the bowler bowls the ball and the ball strikes the batsmans stumps or bails. By 3) leg before wicket, or LBW. This happens when the bowler bowls it and the stumps being hit by the ball are prevented when the batsmans leg gets in the way. By 4) stumped, when the batsman comes forward to hit the hit but steps out of his crease, misses the ball and the fielder behind the stumps collects the ball hits the stumps before the batsman gets back behind his crease. By 5) run out, when the batsman attempts to score a run but has his stumps hit by the ball before he reaches the other crease. By 6) Hit wicket, when the batsman hits his own stumps while trying to hit the ball. By 7) retired, when the batsman voluntarily decides to finish his innings, and 8) timed out, when the next batsman doesn't appear on the pitch within two minutes of the last batsman getting out.

Each team has one innings. This innings can last anything from 20 overs (a series of 6 bowls by a bowler) to an unlimited over match. Most one day matches are played with each side having 50 overs (or 300 balls). If 10 of a team's batsman are out, the innings ends there regardless of how many balls are left to be bowled. The team that scores the most runs in their innings is the team that wins.
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........

The Basic Rules of Cricket

Cricket is played with two teams of eleven, with two umpires (referees) on an oval shaped field. The size of the field varies, but generally has a diameter of around 200 metres. A cricket bat is oblong shaped with a narrow handle. A full-sized bat is around 90 centimetres in length. A cricket ball is made of cork and covered with leather, and is then stitched up. A ball weighs around 10 ounces.

In the middle of the field is what is known as a pitch. A pitch is a hard, flat strip of dry ground around 18 metres long. Two batsman are at the pitch at a time, both at different ends, with one facing the delivery of the ball from the bowler. The bowler runs up to the pitch where he bowls the ball overarm with a straight arm. Further details on the correct bowling action can be found here.

Teams score by getting runs. A run is completed when a batsman hits the ball and then runs to the other end of the cricket pitch, getting past the crease. The non striking batsman has to run to the opposite end as well. The batsman can run as many times as they like, but the batsmen can get out if their stumps are hit with the ball by a fielder before the batsman reaches the crease. The stumps are three sticks of equal size measuring around 90 centimetres tall with 5 centimetres separating them. Bails (small pieces of wood) are balanced on top of the stumps.

Other ways runs can be scored are by hitting boundaries. Boundaries are scored when the ball is hit and touches or goes past the outer edge of the field. Four runs are scored when the batsmen hits the ball and the ball hits the ground before reaching the outer edge of the boundary, and six runs are scored when the ball is hit and goes over the boundary without touching the ground. Runs can also be scored in the following ways: No balls, when the bowler oversteps the crease, bowls in a dangerous manner or incorrectly. A no ball is worth one run. A wide is scored when the ball goes outside the line of the pitch before coming in line with the batsman. This is also worth one run. A leg bye is scored when the ball hits the batsman but doesnt contact his bat and then proceeds to run. A bye is scored when the batsman runs without the ball coming into into contact with the batsman or his bat, and then runs.

The fielding team can get the batsman out in several ways, by 1) catching him out. This is done when the batsman hits the ball with his bat and a fielder catches the ball on the full (without bouncing). By 2) bowling him out. This happens when the bowler bowls the ball and the ball strikes the batsmans stumps or bails. By 3) leg before wicket, or LBW. This happens when the bowler bowls it and the stumps being hit by the ball are prevented when the batsmans leg gets in the way. By 4) stumped, when the batsman comes forward to hit the hit but steps out of his crease, misses the ball and the fielder behind the stumps collects the ball hits the stumps before the batsman gets back behind his crease. By 5) run out, when the batsman attempts to score a run but has his stumps hit by the ball before he reaches the other crease. By 6) Hit wicket, when the batsman hits his own stumps while trying to hit the ball. By 7) retired, when the batsman voluntarily decides to finish his innings, and 8) timed out, when the next batsman doesn't appear on the pitch within two minutes of the last batsman getting out.

Each team has one innings. This innings can last anything from 20 overs (a series of 6 bowls by a bowler) to an unlimited over match. Most one day matches are played with each side having 50 overs (or 300 balls). If 10 of a team's batsman are out, the innings ends there regardless of how many balls are left to be bowled. The team that scores the most runs in their innings is the team that wins.

I doubt that made him understand :? Cricket is like watching paint dry... ;)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    I'm sorry, there's no way rugby league is better than rugby union. It's a totally different game and shouldn't be called rugby. Anybody near the Philly area, the college 7's national championships are going to be at PPL Field in June. Should be a good time.
  • tinkerbell wrote:

Cricket is the worst sport ever!!

Except maybe curling :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5mFH3_Qhs
    I'm sorry, there's no way rugby league is better than rugby union. It's a totally different game and shouldn't be called rugby. Anybody near the Philly area, the college 7's national championships are going to be at PPL Field in June. Should be a good time.

I agree, but then I am biased
    tinkerbell wrote:

Cricket is the worst sport ever!!

Except maybe curling :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5mFH3_Qhs

:lol::lol:

Was curling made up by some bored housekeepers in the winter!!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331

I disagree. I love sports, and I will watch Rugby, but League is better. There are 13 players on the field as opposed to 15. Now that makes a massive difference. The games are more open which means more tries.... Rugby union they kick goals as opposed to scoring tries, which can get super boring and frustrating...

In union, every referee has their own interpretation of the rules. So what works for one ref the following week won't work for another. It is completely frustrating....

The best Rugby League is easily the State of Origin New South Wales vs Queensland...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014