Options

Kurt Cobain Guitar Statue Erected on 17th Death Anniversary

PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
edited April 2011 in Other Music
Kurt Cobain Guitar Statue Erected on 17th Death Anniversary

Apr 5, 2011, 07:21 by David Hope

Kurt Cobain is being remembered today, 17 years after he took his own life. A sculpture of a large concrete guitar has been installed in a Washington state park to observe the 17th anniversary of the grunge-rocker's death.

Cobain, the former front man of the band Nirvana, shot himself in 1994. He was 27 years old.

The Daily World in Aberdeen, Wash., said Kim and Lora Malakoff's 8 1/2-foot-tall sculpture will be unveiled and dedicated to Cobain during a ceremony at the park next to the Young Street Bridge in North Aberdeen, where the musician grew up.

"I first moved to Aberdeen right after Kurt Cobain died," Lora Malakoff told the newspaper. "And I was always surprised there was nothing here to memorialize him. I had always hoped there would be. As one generation goes and another takes over, things change. That's what happened here with Kurt Cobain."

You're so very missed... :( R.I.P. Kurt

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    That was nice.
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I can't believe it's been 17 years

I don't listen to Nirvana much anymore but they are very special to me and when I do listen to them I think about where Kurt would be today

R.I.P.
  • Options
    Wonder if Krist Novoselic is going to knock it over as he promised or if he came to the realization that Courtney Love actually had Kurt murdered...
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    looks like a jag-stang. pretty sweet...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42445985/ ... rtainment/

cobain%20sculpture--1328829923_v2.grid-5x2.jpg

The sculpture of a large concrete guitar honoring the memory of Kurt Cobian is unveiled at a ceremony observing the 17th anniversary of the musician's death in Aberdeen, Wash., on Tuesday, April 5
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    That's a cool looking statue. I know it's nice to memorialize him with a statue and understand why it was done. However, just reading the article made me cringe a little because that would seem to be something that Kurt wouldn't want or approve of.