Anyone ever been to Kenya?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Do you have any advice for me? I'm going for three weeks in July. Most of my time will be spent doing public health work in a very rural area, but I'm hoping to have at least a few days to check out the country. I've never been to Africa. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Don't travel alone and let local people know your plans and take their advice. I hope you enjoy your trip.
  • I'm going to Tanzania for 7 weeks in July so not far from :D

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

Check the information and the forums on the website, lots of different people with experience will be able to offer good advice.

Make sure you see a doctor ASAP to see about getting any necessary jabs and malaria pills you need. Your doctor will advise you on which malaria pills to take as some are more effective in some areas in Africa than some.

Plenty of people travel all across Africa on their own with no problems just take the usual precautions and try not to walk around after dark, take taxis.

Take a camera. Mosquito net is a must, wear long sleeves and trousers at night as that is when your're most likely to get bitten. A decent, sturdy walking/hiking boot will be useful. Normal footwear could get ruined pretty easily.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ is a pretty good source of info.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i have been ... it's been a while ... but this is what i can tell ya - assuming things haven't changed significantly ...

* trust the locals if they say to not go somewhere or to not go out after dark
    * do not take the bus from nairobi to mombassa ... take trains when possible
    * lamu is a nice little spot off the north east coast
    * if you have a weak constitution - i would suggest being very careful what you eat
    * sadly - drink bottled water
    * my experience with the people were that for the most part - they are absolutely beautiful and kind
    * having said that - any country that has high rates of poverty and prosperity gaps will result in some bad apples ... you have to be careful ...
    * get your shots ... i'm torn on malaria medication ...
    * i think july is the beginning of the dry season - make sure you have appropriate clothing not only for the weather but for the mozzies ...
    * keep hydrated and fueled ... you might want to bring some of your own pills if you don't have access to a reliable source of pharmaceuticals ...

as for sights ... i went to masai mara; navaisha; climbed mount kenya; aforementioned lamu ...

lemme know if you have any other questions ... i have a friend who's been more recently and gone often to do vounteer work ... i can ask her ...
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Thanks! Y'all rock! :D I'm sure I'll have more specific questions as July gets closer.