Options

Kucinich on Libya

DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
edited April 2011 in A Moving Train
Article, "I Love Dennis Kucinich," summarizing speech given yesterday by the congressman:
http://www.progressive.org/wx040111.html

Full text of speech:
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... _cong.html

"The critical issue before this nation today is not Libyan democracy, it is American democracy..."
i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    I agree....but what can be done....will the press cover this?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    watching now, thanks....

Am I the only one who feels that commitment-phobic, cold-feet feeling you get when you're falling for someone who hasn't really earned trust yet, when watching Dennis or Ron Paul speak? I know their supporters will point to their exemplary records...but I have such trust issues with politicians :lol:

Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul need to lead by example, and run together in 2012 (as independents?). What better way to show it's possible for the right and left to come together to save your country from partisan politics, and the fascists running both parties, than to have the only two nationally recognized politicians of conscience, unite and find a way to make their ideological differences function in unity? PLEASE.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    This sums it up. Part 2 of this is money. Pulling out all the stops. I mean, reading the quote below, and listening to Obama, you'd think there has never been a more justifiable war in history.

:clap::clap:
    "Mr. Speaker, we saw, in the president's address to the nation on March 28, how mismatched elements are being hastily stitched together into a new war doctrine...let's review them:

1.An executive privilege to wage war
    2. war, based on verbal threats
    3. Humanitarian war
    4. pre-emptive war
    5. unilateral war
    6. war for regime change
    7. war against a nation, whose government this administration determines to be illegitimate
    8. war authorized through the UN security counil
    9. war authorized through NATO and the Arab League
    10. war authorized by a rebel group, against it's despised government
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I agree that it's creepy that war is never officially declared anymore. The war in Libya could be justified, but make it official, and call it "war". They always pussyfoot around direct language. As much as the Libyan people need a proper government, I'm unable to be optimistic about how the world's leaders will handle this.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    QUESTION: All the republicans who give the republican party a bad name, you know who they are, is Dennis Kucinich one of them or is he one of those people seen as a true representative of the republican parties should be interests ?
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    Last I check Kucinich is a Democrat...
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    DPrival78 wrote:

"U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich spoke to Congress Thursday about the conflict in Libya. Here is his speech as prepared for delivery, with links provided by his office."

oops, I thought the 'Rep' meant Republican but it means Representative, correct ? My bad
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    zarocat wrote:
    DPrival78 wrote:

"U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich spoke to Congress Thursday about the conflict in Libya. Here is his speech as prepared for delivery, with links provided by his office."

oops, I thought the 'Rep' meant Republican but it means Representative, correct ? My bad
    Yes that means representative. He's a Congressmen , a member of the House Of Representatives.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Kucinich has done a lot of good for this country. But he's not without flaws. Too bad, because his message here needs to be heard and spread and he's often discredited since he flip flopped on the whole health care bullshit.

Does anyone here think this Libya debacle is just a distraction from the nuclear plant that has been constantly dumping highly radioactive water into our oceans? That thought occurred to me the other day....and I'm not saying I strongly believe that, but I think it's a real possibility.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    Does anyone here think this Libya debacle is just a distraction from the nuclear plant that has been constantly dumping highly radioactive water into our oceans? That thought occurred to me the other day....and I'm not saying I strongly believe that, but I think it's a real possibility.

i wouldn't doubt that. i certainly don't believe that what we're doing there was at all driven by humanitarianism. there are other motives there.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    zarocat wrote:
    QUESTION: All the republicans who give the republican party a bad name, you know who they are, is Dennis Kucinich one of them or is he one of those people seen as a true representative of the republican parties should be interests ?
    All I know is that he's the dick that sued a cafeteria because he bit down on an olive pit in his sandwich.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

Ha! The U.S. govt is known for using stories as distractions from other events going on, Bush was known for doing that well.

Kucinich has a valid point. Why he didn't bring it up when Bush declared war without Congress' approval is beyond me, though. Perhaps he did? But I think he could do better... he's wasting his time with this. He's also scurrying for additional support to keep him in Congress right now.
  • Options
    Without debating whether or not we should have invaded Iraq or Afghanistan, I have to question the statement that Bush went to war without Congressional approval. On October 11, 2002, the resolution to use force against Iraq passed the Senate. The Afghan war also received Congressional approval before we went in. Its OK to be against the wars, but lets not revise history on this board.