Options

If you complained or question the 10C ticket system

2»

Comments

• Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Do they do the best they can? I'd say yes they do. Obviously there are other solutions for ticket sales but none that are either economical or suitable to the club. It's their call and none of us are totally aware of all the issues involved.

The assumptions many make about 'the server' are comical at best and often offensive. I'm not sure why people think they are experts when it comes to this issue because many of the statements are so far off that it does nothing to help the discussion.

At the end of the day the demand for tickets far surpasses the supply and no matter what 10c do, many will miss out, but given 10c is a presale, you usually still have other options before you have to pay through the nose at a scalper.

I wish people would get this fired up about much of the other crap that goes on in this world .

Peace
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

I wish people would get this fired up about much of the other crap that goes on in this world .

Peace
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    shake your bumpa

yeah I just bumped my own thread

first time for everything :mrgreen:
  • Options
    GB45499GB45499 Posts: 232
    The 10c goes above and beyond what should be expected for a mere $20 a YEAR. Or even $40 (as of lately). If they charged per month then I could see some gripes a little better...it would never change the supply/demand. Are we as fan club members to demand the venue for each show to sell tickets to every one of us that want a ticket before they go on sale to the mortals not in the club? What if the show sales out on fan club members?

Do you guys think they should have pre-sales for the other side projects the band is involved with? Remember all them topics back in the day about not getting pre-sale tickets to Brad??? Me either...

Sure, I was one of the lucky ones that got tickets this time around but to completely lose your mind over this opportunity is absurd.

Just my 2 cents... ;)
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    If wasn't for the fan club tickets..The 10c would no longer be around...So, pretty much if they quit doing fan club tickets...There wouldn't be many fan club members renewing their memberships....I really appreciate that they offer fan club tickets..But, don't say your going to use the extra money to improve the ticket process...Which they didn't do...
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    norm wrote:

Peace

I think they do. But this is a PJ fan club site.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I hope they don't do a lottery. :? It's already kind of a lottery but at least you can try on your own.
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    he stated two very clear issues, but neither makes sense:

1. scaling: 15000 people logged in for 500 ticket pairs... that's a 30:1 ratio, or one ticket pair for every 30 people trying to get a pair... hardly a 1000:1 ratio

2. server/database issues: anyone implementing changes to a db structure, in anticipation of release to the public, must beta-test... it is not good practice to uncover coding errors while "live"... it would not be hard to get 10000 members to beta-test new code for handling ticket transactions in a mock sales scenario

I appreciate the candor, humility, and sincerity, but I would prefer an honest reflection on what happened, and what is being done to prevent this from happening again.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    phungi wrote:
    he stated two very clear issues, but neither makes sense:

1. scaling: 15000 people logged in for 500 ticket pairs... that's a 30:1 ratio, or one ticket pair for every 30 people trying to get a pair... hardly a 1000:1 ratio

2. server/database issues: anyone implementing changes to a db structure, in anticipation of release to the public, must beta-test... it is not good practice to uncover coding errors while "live"... it would not be hard to get 10000 members to beta-test new code for handling ticket transactions in a mock sales scenario

I appreciate the candor, humility, and sincerity, but I would prefer an honest reflection on what happened, and what is being done to prevent this from happening again.

I have the answer for you what they will do to prevent this from happening again...NOTHING!!!!!

It has been this same mickey mouse way since they went to the online ticket process...Fans don't care for it and some voice their opinions on it..But, still nothing has been done to at leat improve it somewhat..
  • Options
    trevedtreved Los Angeles Posts: 24
    Get_Right wrote:
    treved wrote:

They don't have to invest in major servers. There are tons of companies like http://www.cloudflare.com that will make sure your servers never crash, for a nominal fee. I think they charge $100/year. That's peanuts.
    Right. And no charges when they surpass a certain usage? Not buying it. And no insiders stealing tickets.
    Sounds good in theory.

No. No extra charges. That's the point. Ask Metallica, they use these guys.

http://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-a ... -lightning
    (1)Vancouver 7/19/98; (2) Seattle 7/22/98; (3) Jones Beach 8/24/2000; (4) Bridge School 10/21/01; (5) Seattle 12/8/02; (6) Denver 4/1/03; (7) Philadelphia 4/28/03; (8) Uniondale 4/30/03; (9) Camden 7/6/03; (10) NY 7/8/03; (11) NY 7/9/03; (12) Boston 9/28/04; (13) Vancouver 9/2/05; (14) LA 7/9/06; (15) LA 7/10/06; (16) Seattle 9/21/09; (17) Seattle 9/22/09; (18) LA 9/30/09; (19) LA 10/1/09; (20) LA 10/6/09; (21) 10/7/09; (22) San Diego 11/21/13; (23) LA 11/24/13; (24) Miami 4/9/16; (25) Seattle 8/8/18; (26) Seattle 8/10/18; (27) San Diego 5/3/22; (28) LA 5/7/22; (29) Zurich 6/23/22
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    norm wrote:

Peace

The "other crap" isn't as good as Pearl Jam
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    The "other crap" isn't as good as Pearl Jam
    :lol: nice one
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    treved wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    treved wrote:

They don't have to invest in major servers. There are tons of companies like http://www.cloudflare.com that will make sure your servers never crash, for a nominal fee. I think they charge $100/year. That's peanuts.
    Right. And no charges when they surpass a certain usage? Not buying it. And no insiders stealing tickets.
    Sounds good in theory.

it doesn't say there, does metallica sell their own tickets using this company?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Just a question. If I decide not to renew my 10 club membership when it expires in November, I will no longer be able to post on this forum? Is that right?
  • Options
    treved wrote:

I have a hard time believing this, and many other options, have not been explored as a possible option.
    Tim's comments lead me to believe that they need to somehow control the distribution from start to finish to do it their way. Id guess there is a downside that is not acceptable to the 10c.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    the 10C sale was like a walk through an english garden compared to the garbage at TicketMaster this morning. it's unbelievable that a sham "business" like TM is allowed to operate in this country.

It actually is quite believable in my opinion. I mean there's a handful of businesses that own all the mainstream media TV channels, billboards, record labels. There's a handful of businesses that own our food supply....

And, the icing on the cake, "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction."
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    trevedtreved Los Angeles Posts: 24
    Get_Right wrote:
    treved wrote:

I have a hard time believing this, and many other options, have not been explored as a possible option.
    Tim's comments lead me to believe that they need to somehow control the distribution from start to finish to do it their way. Id guess there is a downside that is not acceptable to the 10c.

It's your right to be skeptical if you want. I emailed them and they mentioned they also handle matters for Counting Crows and Jack Johnson.

But let me ask you this: what's the harm in trying? If these other bands are using them, and they really claim to be that cheap, why not try them and see what happens? Either a) everything works as promised, and there's no more griping about shitty servers (just griping about getting shut out of tickets), or b) the servers crash as always.

Aren't they committing themselves to B anyway by not trying it out? Seems like a cheap option to try. I dunno.
    (1)Vancouver 7/19/98; (2) Seattle 7/22/98; (3) Jones Beach 8/24/2000; (4) Bridge School 10/21/01; (5) Seattle 12/8/02; (6) Denver 4/1/03; (7) Philadelphia 4/28/03; (8) Uniondale 4/30/03; (9) Camden 7/6/03; (10) NY 7/8/03; (11) NY 7/9/03; (12) Boston 9/28/04; (13) Vancouver 9/2/05; (14) LA 7/9/06; (15) LA 7/10/06; (16) Seattle 9/21/09; (17) Seattle 9/22/09; (18) LA 9/30/09; (19) LA 10/1/09; (20) LA 10/6/09; (21) 10/7/09; (22) San Diego 11/21/13; (23) LA 11/24/13; (24) Miami 4/9/16; (25) Seattle 8/8/18; (26) Seattle 8/10/18; (27) San Diego 5/3/22; (28) LA 5/7/22; (29) Zurich 6/23/22
  • Options
    treved wrote:
    It's your right to be skeptical if you want. I emailed them and they mentioned they also handle matters for Counting Crows and Jack Johnson.

But let me ask you this: what's the harm in trying? If these other bands are using them, and they really claim to be that cheap, why not try them and see what happens? Either a) everything works as promised, and there's no more griping about shitty servers (just griping about getting shut out of tickets), or b) the servers crash as always.

Aren't they committing themselves to B anyway by not trying it out? Seems like a cheap option to try. I dunno.
    But can you compare the demands for a PJ or EV show to that of JJ or CC? No way. 1000x more. I dunno either, but I do put faith in the 10c's desire to get as many good seats to the members as they realistically and financially can. I do believe that is true.
  • Options
    treved wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    treved wrote:

The 10c isn't going to do anything to try improve the ticket process or servers...Well all know that...It has been this way since around 2005...When they first started doing online process...I appreciate that the 10c does offer fan club tickets..But, at least try to improve it...When you know it has its flaws..
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited April 2011
    I've got a tip for you all. How about you do some research about how servers work and what makes them crash before you all continue to repeat the 'shitty servers' line. Reading these threats sometimes is like watching fox news, you repeat the lie often enough and it becomes 'truth'.

I don't doubt there is a problem when ticket sales become a exercise in frustration, but it is not an issue of shitty servers, if that were the case, this site would be a dog to load even on low traffic.

Having many thousands of users making repeated calls and repeated refreshes and on multiple browsers and machines to the same resources and database entries will cause issues on the best servers in the world.

Given the interactive and non static nature of shopfront software, caching and other tricks don't help smooth things and the huge traffic jump is similar to a denial of service attack which cripple the best of sites on occasion.

I can fully appreciate the panic and efforts made to keep the site up during ticket sales and really wish people would stop making simplistic and ignorant calls to get rid of the 'shitty server' .

If the ticketmaster site can crash with the massive resources they have to provide their services, then 10club are ways going to struggle - there are just too many of you using too many connections for the databases to cope.

As I see it the only answer to keep people happy would be to subcontract ticketing to a company who specialize in ticketing because most of the solutions open to 10c are probably uneconomical and would probably fail anyway or be totally redundant 99.999% of the time.

If ticketmaster were to run presales for 10 club, would they provide the same seats, respect 10c seniority, run the lottery and provide will call? Would we get the same service ? I doubt it. Ticketmaster don't care about 10c - they care about selling tickets - even the shitty seats.

But the bigger question is: would people still miss out on tickets? The answer to this is definately YES.

Back in the day 10c and the band tried to do all the ticketing themselves and look at the result. Fewer shows in second rate venues.

I'd love to see a better 10c ticketing system but the answers are not as simple as some of you assume and making ill informed or uneducated remarks and straight out abuse does nothing to help.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • Options
    paul and everyone else trying to explain the reality of the situation, please give up...it's wasted breath
  • Options
    It is all good...I am done with trying to get tickets via the ten club...To much of a pain in the ass...Really pretty much done with the band overall and the 10c....
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    hey..got tix 's to Ed

it wasnt senority and

when is "the real thing coming" you know what I saying...

PJ
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29