Office fridge etiquette

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So my office has a mini-fridge. A bar fridge. One just like this.

MiniFridgeGE1.jpg

For people's lunches. About 20 people. And there's a few broads that all belong to what I call The Yogurt Club. They bring in these massive pails of yogurt, and just leave them in there. They treat this thing like it's their own personal home fridge. Picture it: EIGHT, yes, EIGHT, of these (the big one at top left), in a bar fridge:

tsunami_brass.jpg

Three shelves. Two of said shelves completely taken up by these. Not to mention one of those people also have a jug of margarine there they keep as well.

So I sent out a polite email today to those who share my office space, nicely asking them to consider other people and bring in food only for the day, not the week/month/whatever.

No harm, no foul, right?

I'll report back tomorrow. 8-)
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,982
    see the pass the popcorn thread for title only!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    see the pass the popcorn thread for title only!! :mrgreen:

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    We have that rule, and on fridays anything left gets trashed.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "Hey, there's even a fridge! This is great! You could put six packs of be... soda in here. Milk, yogurt. You could put candy bars in the freezer."

"Anything you want to keep cold!"

:mrgreen:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm the Boss, leave room for my 6 pack every day, and there will not be a problem.
  • BIGBOOBS wrote:
    I'm the Boss, leave room for my 6 pack every day, and there will not be a problem.

Your username is one the biggest understatements of all time.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Sounds completely reasonable to me. Hopefully all goes well :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    The last time somebody sent an email about our office fridge, half the people there completely flipped out. They started whining about the 'fridge police' and why couldn't they keep things there. The email simply asked everyone to go see what was theirs and label it so that it wouldn't be thrown away. If labeled it was safe, if not labeled it was trashed. The woman that sent that email got so pissed off at all the complaining that she sent another email changing the fridge policy stating that everything from then on must be labeled or else it was subject to being thrown away the next time she goes to clean it out. That one almost started WWIII around here.

So, good luck to you in your fridge policy endeavors...
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    The last time somebody sent an email about our office fridge, half the people there completely flipped out. They started whining about the 'fridge police' and why couldn't they keep things there. The email simply asked everyone to go see what was theirs and label it so that it wouldn't be thrown away. If labeled it was safe, if not labeled it was trashed. The woman that sent that email got so pissed off at all the complaining that she sent another email changing the fridge policy stating that everything from then on must be labeled or else it was subject to being thrown away the next time she goes to clean it out. That one almost started WWIII around here.

our tarheels blew it :(
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    norm wrote:
    "Hey, there's even a fridge! This is great! You could put six packs of be... soda in here. Milk, yogurt. You could put candy bars in the freezer."

damn it...i know that movie
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Paul David wrote:
    About 20 people. And there's a few broads that all belong to what I call The Yogurt Club. They bring in these massive pails of yogurt, and just leave them in there.

The Yogurt Club eh? catchy... did you think of that by yourself?

;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ok, last place I worked at: 20 women..no, make that GIRLS. Diet this diet that, ICBINB-tub and sprays, fruit cups etc.

People were stealing other people's lunches so we made a rule: if your name is NOT on it, DON'T eat it. Then we cleaned the fridge every Friday. Threw out whatever didn't have a name on it, no matter what. People need to respect 'community space'....the entire workplace is not their own personal pigsty.

May I recommend that these Yogurt Girls' buy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvnmcTuyZibfYogK3XqepNuNCMkyBLbJVjsb6PhIRPw1hQGOnN
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Our offices moved locations last year and with our new kitchen being a bit smaller, we had to downgrade our refrigerator/freezer to one without an automatic ice cube maker.

Last summer, this needed to be posted on said new freezer...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ice-Cubes-with-an-Ice-Tray

...'cause people forgot there's no such thing as an ice cube fairy!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    RKCNDY wrote:

People were stealing other people's lunches so we made a rule: if your name is NOT on it, DON'T eat it.

I have a hard time understanding how people take someone else's food. They know they didn't bring it. How can you eat something someone else brought?! You know it isn't yours. :(
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i'm sure you do...a hint...the actor that said the first line is dead :think:
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138

our tarheels blew it :(

yep :( very disappointing

So, Paul David, how did the email go? Anybody go crazy on you?
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    JaneNY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

People were stealing other people's lunches so we made a rule: if your name is NOT on it, DON'T eat it.

I have a hard time understanding how people take someone else's food. They know they didn't bring it. How can you eat something someone else brought?! You know it isn't yours. :(

You mean I can't just help myself to anything in there?!? And all this time I thought someone just kept refilling it each night and we could have what we wanted......ok, now I feel bad
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Is that the same movie where one actor asked, "did you eat paint chips as a kid?"
  • yep :( very disappointing

So, Paul David, how did the email go? Anybody go crazy on you?

nothing yet. Queen Yogurt was away when I sent it, she gets back tomorrow. It's going to be a shit show, I guarantee.

Several people voiced their approval verbally, but none of them put it in writing (email). I bet you none of them will come to my defense tomorrow either when the shit hits the fan. That's ok, though, I can hold my own with this chick. :twisted:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    If you get any pushback, just come in with one of these and cram it in there.

Butterball_Frozen_Turkey.gif.jpg
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    norm wrote:

Is that the same movie where one actor asked, "did you eat paint chips as a kid?"

did i hear a niner in there? were you calling from a walkie talkie? :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • If you get any pushback, just come in with one of these and cram it in there.

might look weird carting that thing on the bus, but I like the idea nontheless. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    81 wrote:
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    norm wrote:

did i hear a niner in there? were you calling from a walkie talkie? :P

"It's not here or here so much but right in this area."

"Nope, looks fine to me."

"Hey, what happened to your face?"

"I knew it!"
    if i wanted a kiss, i would have asked your mother
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • If you get any pushback, just come in with one of these and cram it in there.

:lol: I've laughed for like two minutes over this.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
    The other alternative is Limburger. A lot of it.

Or a smelt sandwich.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    The other alternative is Limburger. A lot of it.

Or a smelt sandwich.

No thank you.
  • I am in state of complete shock. Yogurt Queen came back to work today. Nary a word was said. The yogurt supply decreased by 3 tubs. Yogurt Queen was normal to me all day.

I don't understand. My email....actually......worked....???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Impossible. I'd check your sandwich thoroughly before consuming.
  • Impossible. I'd check your sandwich thoroughly before consuming.

that's hilarious, as that's exactly what I brought for lunch today!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014