Which career and Resume writing....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Frustrating process!
I seriously do not know where the hell I want to go in terms of a career.
I am relatively inexperienced, only had one full time job in the same role for 4 yrs.
Not sure what I am good at, my Birkman profile does not suit someone in a Marketing role which I am university qualified in.
Grrrrr!

And I didn't realise Resume writing is so time consuming.
Glad I attended today's class on Resume writing, putting me on the right path.
If you can get a Resume right you will be more confident and sure when it comes to the interview.

Anyone else stuck in a no where land in terms of career?
I am 27 almost and still not sure.
Wish I was smarter in school so I could've been an engineer or doctor or economist :(
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I feel ya.
    I'm 36 and been in IT for 15 years. It recently occured to me that I have about 25 years of work remaining. There is NO WAY I'm doing Engineering for 25 more years.

I think I'm going to teach High School math.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    there's always a career in ripping off Eddie Vedder :lol:

seriously though, good luck
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • I just recently started University and I will 29 whan I graduate :shock:

At the min there is about 70 applicants for each graduate job in the UK so it's a bit of a risk in doing this and certainly no guarantees that anything will come of it but the job I had was leading no where (actually if I stayed I would have ended up redundant anyway)

Not an easy thing to decide what you want to do with your life but for a lot of people what they want to do changes over time. 27 is still young though. You could always try and do some part time / voluntary work in different sectors to get a good idea of what your are good at and more importantly what you enjoy.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    TA, one thing to be really careful about is social networking. At a previous job I was a hiring manager for nurses and also was on a panel that hired physicians and we would check out Facebook and MySpace. Some of the photos people posted were unbelievable and were factors in decisions not to hire.

Not that I think you'd ever be inappropriate, my dear.

So you're 27... man, you have it all in front of you! I was a newspaper reporter at 27, went back to school for nursing, best thing I ever did. Now I work in IT, as a nurse. There were some difficult years there when I was in school and then went back for a master's, but it was totally worth it in the end.

Regarding the resume, I used the basic Microsoft resume writing wizard. Nothing fancy. I found a lot of helpful advice via a basic Google search when it came to writing it.

What do you really, really want to do for the next 5-10 years?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • TA, one thing to be really careful about is social networking. At a previous job I was a hiring manager for nurses and also was on a panel that hired physicians and we would check out Facebook and MySpace. Some of the photos people posted were unbelievable and were factors in decisions not to hire.

I completely disagree with this. Work and social life should be kept secret but it is an issue. My Facebook security is on private so only accepted friends can see photos and information.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I just recently started University and I will 29 whan I graduate :shock:

if that sentence has anything to go by then you'll be lucky to graduate at 49 ;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:

if that sentence has anything to go by then you'll be lucky to graduate at 49 ;);)

:lol::lol:
  • dunkman wrote:

:lol::lol: Speed typing (shouldn't really be on the pit here)

Nice avatar by the way :thumbup:
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014

At the min there is about 70 applicants for each graduate job in the UK so it's a bit of a risk in doing this and certainly no guarantees that anything will come of it but the job I had was leading no where (actually if I stayed I would have ended up redundant anyway)
    Think positive. There are about 150+ applicants for non grad jobs. :(
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    resume's are easy, it's the damn cover letter that gets me.

could be a pirate? chicks dig the peg leg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • nuffingman wrote:

Think positive. There are about 150+ applicants for non grad jobs. :(

Yeah it is pretty bad at the minute. Hope you're not looking for work at the moment.

My old housemate is being made redundant in September. He lives in a small village so he is going to move back up north to look for work.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    TA, one thing to be really careful about is social networking. At a previous job I was a hiring manager for nurses and also was on a panel that hired physicians and we would check out Facebook and MySpace. Some of the photos people posted were unbelievable and were factors in decisions not to hire.

So you're 27... man, you have it all in front of you! I was a newspaper reporter at 27, went back to school for nursing, best thing I ever did. Now I work in IT, as a nurse. There were some difficult years there when I was in school and then went back for a master's, but it was totally worth it in the end.

Regarding the resume, I used the basic Microsoft resume writing wizard. Nothing fancy. I found a lot of helpful advice via a basic Google search when it came to writing it.

Several good points here. I'm interested that you went back for a nursing degree and then a master's. My husband's sister, who is one of my favorite people, did the same thing. It was tough for her for a few years but now she has a great technical job in a hospital and loves it.

I agree with you about the social networking. That was one reason why I didn't get on Facebook while I was looking for a job. It may be unfair but enough employers look at those things that I didn't want to have that problem. Social networking CAN be used to your advantage, if it's done the right way. I read a book called Fired to Hired that had good suggestions.

Thoughts Arrive, I am an old grey-haired lady and have been in the workforce more years than you've been alive. :lol: The work I do (and love) has practically nothing to do with my degrees. I never realized it at the time but I've been reinventing myself over and over. Focus on what you're good at and what you like to do. Find out what kinds of jobs involve doing those things. There have been times when I've taken a job just because I really needed a job, but I still try to work toward the things I do well. Good luck!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Yeah it is pretty bad at the minute. Hope you're not looking for work at the moment.
    If i was they'd look at my application, say nice things but scribble down "too old" :lol:
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up. :? I'm an Office Manager at the mo, I have dreams of going back to study and finding something more challenging, alas this will have to wait till the kids are older.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    you could always fall back on my childhood career aspiration... DINOSAUR
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Just curious, what company do you work for? My wife is an RN that does IT work for a pharma company. We are in the process of moving and she is looking for a job in the Baltimore/DC area.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    nuffingman wrote:
    If i was they'd look at my application, say nice things but scribble down "too old" :lol:
    Went through this myself not that long ago. What they will tell you is you're "overqualified." :roll: :lol:;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Hi all,

To respond to two qns posted...

I do not know what I want to do, I got a marketing degree but not sure, I did a Birkman test at this course I am attending and my personality does not suit the marketing industry.
    I seriously do not know wtf I am good at, I feel so hopeless right now and my confidence is shot.
    I wish I could just be a mega rich sports star.

And the Facebook thing, nothing bad in mine, I got a private profile, I am also invisible in search results.

I got a mortgage now so I need full time work, I was thinking maybe to go back to school to be qualified to teach Marketing but can't now, I need to work.
    Teaching is a stable industry, wish I thought of this before taking out a mortgage.

Thank you to all that responded and for the well wishes.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Education is overrated. Or at least general education.

I am 23 and have two Master's degrees but have little work experience because I was a student athlete and had no time for much else.

I am "overeducated" and "under experienced," at least outside of the writing world.

Having to do it again, I would acquire a skill that would land me a stable-ish job, or at least major in something math or science related--even though I am math and science illiterate .

But I'm still holding out hope that one day I'll get to do something I love... and make money.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.