First strattt

petersm69petersm69 Posts: 43
edited April 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys. New to the forums here. Been an avid lover of PJ for years now and final decided to take the plunge as a member. But anyway...
Ive been playing guitar for years now and never really had the money as a teenager to fork out much dosh for a decent strat. Im just keen on some advice coz ive notice some experienced players here. Im pretty keen on this girl http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCDSR3SB coupled with a vox ac30 which should be on the way soon. Id love to achieve the same sort of tone as Mike and/or Stone. Am i jumping the gun a bit to much here and should i just be going for an American Standard?

All thoughts and suggestions would be welcome. Cheers fellas
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    A custom shop guitar is definitely not necessary.

A Standard Am. Strat will do the trick just fine.
  • petersm69petersm69 Posts: 43
    DewieCox wrote:
    A custom shop guitar is definitely not necessary.

A Standard Am. Strat will do the trick just fine.

Thanks for the quick reply mate. Ill keep shoppen
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have an American Standard strat that was one of the 'good ones', I played every American strat in Ottawa (probably about 30+ guitars) and that's what I came out with. I can't imagine a Strat playing much better. Go out and play a shit ton you'll find one that works.

PS what are you using it for? The AC30 might be overkill.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    biggest thing with strats is the neck profile. find one that has a neck that fits your hand well. i find the american standard necks too skinny.

other than that though, they're all basically just strats and i'd agree going custom shop isn't really necessary unless budget isn't an issue in which case, go nuts.

as for the amp, i don't really think an AC30 is going to get you into the typical PJ sound even though they have used them at times in the past.
  • personally i would not go custom shop, but if it is what you really want then go for it. nobody here knows what you want better than you do.

IMO if you get a custom shop it seems like it would be something that you would sit on and not gig with. too much can happen to something like that if you gig it. it can get stolen, knocked over, dinged here and there or whatever. i guess it depends on what you will be using it for as well. i have several strats but actually prefer my nash stratocaster over all of them, and that is the one that i gig with. but then again, i'm a gibson guy so i don't play my strats as much as i probably should.

and as far as getting the pearl jam tone, it depends on amp tone just as much as guitar. there are different eras, like the 10, vs, and vitalogy eras they played mainly marshalls for dirt and fender combos for their cleans and would a/b them. later on they played boutique stuff like savage, trentino, matchless, etc, and IMO they did not sound as good. for backspacer they went back to the marshalls and vox and fenders, which to me sounds more "pearl jammy" if you know what i mean.. again it depends on what you are going for.

i will say that i love love love the sound of a p-90 going though a vox ac 30 though. i don't know why, it just sounds great to me..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    American Strats are in general nice guitars, but I'd say its all about the budget. If you can easily buy the custom shop one, I'd say go for it! You always want to play your guitar beforehand though (also if you're going to buy that, I would say that first you should come to terms with the fact that it will be dinged up a little, theres no point to being extra safe with a guitar unless its an original burst).
    I would definitely say go around and try stuff out before you decide though, you never know, you might fall in love with something you never expected.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Fender custom shop makes nice stuff, no doubt. But is it really worth the twice-the-price premium over an American Standard? Not really. It gets you some flashy wood and bragging rights, not much more.

For that kinda money, you could get a really nice Strat, like the John Mayer signature model (not into Mayer himself, but the Big Dipper pups are *amazing*) AND a Gibson Les Paul. Then you'd have the PJ sounds covered; Mike and the Strat, Stone and the LP.

As for the amp, the AC30 is a great amp and has lots of great tones available. It's not the greatest amp for achieving those classic PJ tones, which were all pretty much Marshall JCM, but it's a good tube amp that you can get good tone from. And no doubt you can get some PJ-like tones, especially since Stone has used a few Vox amps, and some of his other amps have Vox-ish sounds (Savage, Top Hat, Peavey Delta Blues).

All that said, if you have your heart set on the Super Deluxe Custom Special Strat, it's a good guitar. The consensus is that it's not worth the money, and it'll drop half it's value once it's a "used" model. But it's still a good guitar, so I guess it comes down to you. Is the flash and bragging rights worth an extra $1200? Will you be afraid to even play it, since it's so expensive? Just some things to think about.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhausted wrote:
    biggest thing with strats is the neck profile. find one that has a neck that fits your hand well. i find the american standard necks too skinny.

other than that though, they're all basically just strats and i'd agree going custom shop isn't really necessary unless budget isn't an issue in which case, go nuts.

as for the amp, i don't really think an AC30 is going to get you into the typical PJ sound even though they have used them at times in the past.

I completely agree about the Strat neck profile. I still can't find one that I like.

As for the AC30. It depends on the version. But a clone is probably the better choice.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I have an American Standard strat that was one of the 'good ones', I played every American strat in Ottawa (probably about 30+ guitars) and that's what I came out with. I can't imagine a Strat playing much better. Go out and play a shit ton you'll find one that works.

PS what are you using it for? The AC30 might be overkill.

I completely agree on trying and trying different guitar but its sucks, coz i live in a small country town in Australia and for some stupid reason we dont have a music store. The closest one is over 2 hours away and is ridiculously priced so im forced to shop over the net. Its a hassel just to get strings
    Hopefully ill be using it for some gigs. Up until now ive had to borrow amps as ive only had and Ashton GA10 which i got when i first started haha. But its a trooper. The particular AC30 im looken at it the AC30HWX2X. Ive fallen in love with the sound of that! It might be a bit pricey but id really like something that'd last me and i think it would really suit my style.
    I would say that first you should come to terms with the fact that it will be dinged up a little, theres no point to being extra safe with a guitar unless its an original burst).

ohh dont worry. Ive got no problem with it getting a bit dinged up. I love the worn look on strat and i intend for mine to get very worn! I guess thats another reason to go for the American standard
    All that said, if you have your heart set on the Super Deluxe Custom Special Strat, it's a good guitar. The consensus is that it's not worth the money, and it'll drop half it's value once it's a "used" model. But it's still a good guitar, so I guess it comes down to you. Is the flash and bragging rights worth an extra $1200? Will you be afraid to even play it, since it's so expensive? Just some things to think about.

Good point man. After reading these i think i might pass on the custom shop one. Maybe something for the future, if im actually really in love with strats like i think i am haha
    Pound for pound, a good well set up American Strat could take on a custom shop Strat.

And although the community here is small, it's fantastic. None of the showing off that seems to happen at other forums online, just great, solid, advice.. So welcome aboard! The AC30 is a lot of amp, but they do sound great.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Pound for pound, a good well set up American Strat could take on a custom shop Strat.

Yer thats another thought i had. Plus id love to put in the time to get it sounding mint. I rekon it'd mean alot more to me then than having a bunch of guys i dont even know do it at Fender. I really like to make it MY strat, if you know what im on about.
    Yer no doubt about great advice. Ive been really impressed by the feedback so far. Thanks again!
    petersm69 wrote:

Yer thats another thought i had. Plus id love to put in the time to get it sounding mint. I rekon it'd mean alot more to me then than having a bunch of guys i dont even know do it at Fender. I really like to make it MY strat, if you know what im on about.
    Yer no doubt about great advice. Ive been really impressed by the feedback so far. Thanks again!
    Not a problem! I have an 06 Sunburst/Rosewood strat, I haven't touched it, I love it. Like I said, I played probably 30 different guitars, and as soon as I played mine, I knew it was the one.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Just ordered my first Strat ... A standard strat in brown sunburst that I got for cheap online. I try not to buy guitars online, but the price was good and I can always return it.

Still, I'm excited to finally have a stratocaster! :mrgreen:
  • Jason P wrote:
    Just ordered my first Strat ... A standard strat in brown sunburst that I got for cheap online. I try not to buy guitars online, but the price was good and I can always return it.

nice! i hope you are happy with it!

Jason P wrote:

nice! i hope you are happy with it!
    Thanks!

I know the hardware is probably on the low end, so does anyone have any tips on pickups or the such?
  • Jason P wrote:
    Thanks!

I know the hardware is probably on the low end, so does anyone have any tips on pickups or the such?
    i HIGHLY recommend lollar pickups for a strat. i have them in one of my strats and they are killer. best sounding strat pickups i have ever heard. even better than the ones in my vintage strat.

other people might tell ya different, but i don't think anything i have played or heard others play in a live setting touches them.

Jason P wrote:
    Thanks!

i HIGHLY recommend lollar pickups for a strat. i have them in one of my strats and they are killer. best sounding strat pickups i have ever heard. even better than the ones in my vintage strat.

other people might tell ya different, but i don't think anything i have played or heard others play in a live setting touches them.
    Thanks for the tip. Which series pickup do you have? They have Special S, Vintage Black, Vintage Blonde, and Vintage Tweed as options.

The guitar showed up yesterday and it is a beauty. Hard to believe it cost just a shade over $300. Seems like the action is good but I plan on re-stringing it.
  • Jason P wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. Which series pickup do you have? They have Special S, Vintage Black, Vintage Blonde, and Vintage Tweed as options.

The guitar showed up yesterday and it is a beauty. Hard to believe it cost just a shade over $300. Seems like the action is good but I plan on re-stringing it.
    sorry for the delay. i did not see my lollar models on the website. after doing some research and not finding the right information, i called the store where i bought it. the pickups that are in mine are custom made by lollar for a guitar maker named bill nash and not part of the regular line of lollars. somewhere along the way the custom lollars were put in mine to replace the stock fenders. i am not the original owner so nobody knows when they were installed or by whom. i have owned nash strats with lollars and they are killer. i was wondering why this strat sounded so similar to those nashes lol....

i don't know if you have ever owned strats before, but be careful if you restring it yourself. those damn tremolo systems on them are quite frustrating. i always pay to have my strats restrung and set up, while i do all of my gibson maintenance myself.

i don't know if you have ever owned strats before, but be careful if you restring it yourself. those damn tremolo systems on them are quite frustrating. i always pay to have my strats restrung and set up, while i do all of my gibson maintenance myself.
    Yeah, I know from owning an Ibanez w/ a Floyd Rose tremolo ... I was clueless at first. The first time I tried to restring it, I couldn't figure out how it wouldn't stay in tune after going through each individual string ... then I noticed the tremolo was almost pulled out of the guitar after several unsuccesful tries :fp:

Ended up going to a pro to restring it.

So far I'm happy with the Strat. I like the base pickups for now. I got a Fender Mustang I amp and it is perfect for my needs of plunking away in my basement.
  • Jason P wrote:
    Yeah, I know from owning an Ibanez w/ a Floyd Rose tremolo ... I was clueless at first. The first time I tried to restring it, I couldn't figure out how it wouldn't stay in tune after going through each individual string ... then I noticed the tremolo was almost pulled out of the guitar after several unsuccesful tries :fp:

Ended up going to a pro to restring it.

So far I'm happy with the Strat. I like the base pickups for now. I got a Fender Mustang I amp and it is perfect for my needs of plunking away in my basement.
    my first guitar had a floyd rose on it :fp: worst decision i ever made regarding gear. i bought it because i liked the color :fp: :oops: :oops: i took it to the shop and had that damn thing locked down so it plays like a hard tail now.

if your set up fits your needs, i don't see any reason to change anything. if you are not happy with it or feel it is lacking something, that is when you should start looking. be careful that you do not become a "tone chaser" where you have to buy everything you find in search of your perfect guitar tone. trust me, it gets VERY expensive after awhile :|

my first guitar had a floyd rose on it :fp: worst decision i ever made regarding gear.
    Same here. Floyd Rose is a dirty name in my book. I was an electric novice getting my first electric guitar and feel like the salesman should have warned me. I stopped going to guitar center after that.
  • Jason P wrote:
    my first guitar had a floyd rose on it :fp: worst decision i ever made regarding gear.
    Same here. Floyd Rose is a dirty name in my book. I was an electric novice getting my first electric guitar and feel like the salesman should have warned me. I stopped going to guitar center after that.
    yeah those damn things should come with a disclaimer. and an instruction manual.

you have to be an experienced player to even understand how they work and know that they are basically detuning bridges lol...

i am more comfortable with the strat set up than the floyd rose, especially the vintage ones, but i still defer any work like that to my tech.