Dublin Show Balcony Jumper

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I'm working today with one of the employees for the first time. She was scrolling through my ipod and saw my collection of Pearl Jam.

Her reaction: One of my friends almost died at the show in Dublin last summer!

So I asked how and she said he jumped off the balcony. I remember after the show people were talkin about a jumper and at the Belfast show the following night Ed sarcastically tells the audience that nobody is allowed to jump off balconies except for him.

Apparently the guy spent months in the hospital but she said he is an absolute nutter. I asked if he was wasted and she just said he would have done it sober or wasted once he decided he was going to do it. I guess he is a nutter. Just thought I'd share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    What a coincidence, small world. And what a crazy fool!
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i remember hearing about that, it is a small world i guess
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Wow, I'd forgotten about that. Wasn't that the guy who landed near Keeley? I seem to remember that people were pretty shaken up.

Can't believe he survived...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • What happened was this. (We were there and saw it):

Underneath the balcony directly opposite the stage was a small overhang which covered the soundboard and lighting consoles. The overhang is made of some kind of fabric, but, in fairness, in the dark, it could be mistaken for something solid, like fibreglass. The guy jumped from the front row of the balcony onto this overhang, probably thinking it was solid (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, right?), he hit it, the fabric bounced him up and he summersaulted onto the floor in the soundboard enclosure.

One of the papers reported he escaped with just a fractured arm.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    in my best Nelson voice

Ha ha
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    dunkman wrote:
    in my best Nelson voice

Ha ha

Ha. I just fucking spat on my screen.

Funniest. shit. ever.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    yeah,,he was drunk and jump from balcony...we saw the ambulance..Ed next day at Belfast said,that please dont jump,thats my job
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    bulletproof
  • dunkman wrote:
    in my best Nelson voice

Ha ha

your avatar :lol:
    LOVE it
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    What happened was this. (We were there and saw it):

Underneath the balcony directly opposite the stage was a small overhang which covered the soundboard and lighting consoles. The overhang is made of some kind of fabric, but, in fairness, in the dark, it could be mistaken for something solid, like fibreglass. The guy jumped from the front row of the balcony onto this overhang, probably thinking it was solid (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, right?), he hit it, the fabric bounced him up and he summersaulted onto the floor in the soundboard enclosure.

One of the papers reported he escaped with just a fractured arm.

She told me he was really messed up after. I'll get a full report next time I see her.