My 1984 Gibson Spirit 1

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am torn and I need some opinions. I am having thoughts of butchering a 27 year old, 100% stock Gibson.. This guitar plays great and I am thinking of converting it to a dual P90 guitar.. Currently, It only has one humbucker in the bridge position, two knobs and no switch (obviously).. Meaning, I am considering seriously altering the body by adding a neck pick-up.. Would you guys do it? read up on these guitars please
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Spirit

Mine is just like the one pictured on the right, only in white
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Maybe throw a Seymour Duncan fat cat in the bridge position? And if you like it, throw the same in the neck.

If you're never going to sell it, then by all means, do what you want to with it. Guitars are meant to be played!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I think I am gonna use GFS dream 90's.. but, does it seem kinda sacrilegious to destroy it? TORN!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    change the bridge pickup, if need be, but don't carve it up to put a neck pickup in. that would be a shame to do on a guitar that has survived the 80s untouched.

my opinion and experience has been that once they get messed with, it becomes a slippery slope and eventually they just get destroyed. i certainly wouldn't carve up an old USA guitar to shove a $35 offshore made pickup into it.

they don't appear to be worth much but it certainly looks nice. basically a DC jr which is a really cool shape and with the one pickup, a bit of a hot rod.

go buy one of the new 60s tributes dual P90 les pauls. then you get true P90s and you haven't carved up a nice old guitar. or look for a used DC faded with the two P90s. those should be around for not too much money.
    I think I am gonna use GFS dream 90's.. but, does it seem kinda sacrilegious to destroy it? TORN!!
    If you're gonna carve up a nice guitar, I wouldn't cheap out on the pick ups.

IMO.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    If you're gonna carve up a nice guitar, I wouldn't cheap out on the pick ups.

IMO.
    Have you played em? cheap doesn't always mean bad.. they scream!! IMO.. I certainly appreciate yours
    for the record, I actually want to try a mean 90/bridge dream 90/neck combination but i still wouldn't route a guitar to do it. hell, i wouldn't route that guitar to put in a lollar or a fralin etc. etc. either.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    go buy one of the new 60s tributes dual P90 les pauls. then you get true P90s and you haven't carved up a nice old guitar. or look for a used DC faded with the two P90s. those should be around for not too much money.

That was sorta my exact thought. If you want a similar guitar, but with dual pickups, they made models like that. I wouldn't do anything to your guitar that couldn't be reversed. If it's your plan to keep the guitar forever, you can chop it up and not feel too bad. But you can't turn a chopped guitar back to original. And it's so easy to get a DC Les Paul, it seems like such a waste. So I agree with Ex - get a newer DC Paul with P-90's, or get one with humbuckers and swap in the HB-sized P-90's. But if it was my guitar, I wouldn't cut it for a 2nd pickup.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I have been trying to sell this guitar for months for the exact small amount i paid for it a year ago.. I would love to buy the DC special they they just came back out with.. but, even a used faded cherry one is hard to come buy for sale, and they usually go for like 500-600 bucks.. I could do what i wanted to do for a lot cheaper, as I don't have the extra funds to acquire more gear. if I could just sell this f'n thing, I would buy what I am needing..
  • personally i would not change anything. if you are going to alter a vintage guitar because you don't like it for some reason then do what you have been doing and try to sell it. if you are not going to play it sell it or trade it on on something you want. if you alter it you will have an even more difficult time trying to sell it later on.
    just my opinion though.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I echo the other sentiments, sell it (ebay, whatever) and buy something with 2 P-90s.
  • Please don't route out this. Please. a humbucker sized P90 in the bridge and call it a day, if you really want a P90 in it. Other than that I wouldn't do a thing.

There are millions of other guitars out there...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I would put a Fralin Pure PAF in it to your specs and keep the guitar.

http://fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp#pure

If you want something with 2 P-90's you can always get one of the new Gibson 60's tribute Les Paul's pr SG's for around $800.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    Update.. I purchased a used 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special double-cut with 2 p90's.. It arrived Today from the guitar center in Dallas.. guitar, roadrunner HSC and shipping to Detriot $671.00.. so, the Spirit lives.. Thanks for your input guys
  • Update.. I purchased a used 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special double-cut with 2 p90's.. It arrived Today from the guitar center in Dallas.. guitar, roadrunner HSC and shipping to Detriot $671.00.. so, the Spirit lives.. Thanks for your input guys
    NICE!

good choice on the LPS. i love those things, but as a big guy they look really funny when i wear one. love the tone though. glad it worked itself out.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Update.. I purchased a used 2005 Gibson Les Paul Special double-cut with 2 p90's.. It arrived Today from the guitar center in Dallas.. guitar, roadrunner HSC and shipping to Detriot $671.00.. so, the Spirit lives.. Thanks for your input guys
    BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

i'm glad the old guitar lives on and i think you'll like the DC.
    exhausted wrote:
    BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

i'm glad the old guitar lives on and i think you'll like the DC.
    Woot! A happy ending.
  • I'm glad you gave in, to our peer pressure
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/