81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    ibtl
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    IBTL
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    IBTL
    Sorry what does IBTL mean?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    In Before the Lock
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    shadowcast wrote:
    IBTL
    Sorry what does IBTL mean?

it means kat or sea will be along shortly to day hi.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    In Before the Lock
    Roger that, but I don't think this is bad at all. This is real life shit.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Posting Guidelines:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91525
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i read kat's reason for locking these threads and i still don't get it...with the absolute vitriol of the moving train and the porch, why is this subject off limits? kat have you ever read a isreal thread? religion? :?
    as long as we dont turn this into blood sport maybe the thread can stick around

it is a nice interview

poor kid

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The reason the bully threads are being closed is because some people are using them in an inappropriate way. A discussion of this serious problem would be fine but that's not what's happening. Comments encouraging/enjoying/laughing about the fighting are not ok. It just isn't appropriate. There's got to be a solution for this.

from one of the closed threads

:silent:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    “look for the good days, keep your chin up and school ain’t going to last forever.”

smart kid
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    norm wrote:
    i read kat's reason for locking these threads and i still don't get it...with the absolute vitriol of the moving train and the porch, why is this subject off limits? kat have you ever read a isreal thread? religion? :?
    Why, whatever do you mean? ;)
    Jason P wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Why, whatever do you mean? ;)

:lol:

i mean just because some people can't discuss subject in a mature way doesn't mean everybody can't discuss it
    Bubbles wrote:
    The reason the bully threads are being closed is because some people are using them in an inappropriate way. A discussion of this serious problem would be fine but that's not what's happening. Comments encouraging/enjoying/laughing about the fighting are not ok. It just isn't appropriate. There's got to be a solution for this.

from one of the closed threads

:silent:
    I understand that point. Would I lock it no but I respect the reason if people were just being ugly on the comments.
    ok, to respect Kat's wishes I will say this:

I am saddened that bullying has taken this long to become recognized as a huge problem and it really is more than 'kids being mean'. Bullying lasts much longer than just in school, I've witnessed it myself in a corporate office. I hope the world will one day learn to respect people as human beings and treat each other with kindness.

Signed,
    a kid who went to the ER many times during my school years because the boys would beat me up
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    AET: Additional Rules
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79168
    edited March 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:

I am saddened that bullying has taken this long to become recognized as a huge problem and it really is more than 'kids being mean'. Bullying lasts much longer than just in school, I've witnessed it myself in a corporate office. I hope the world will one day learn to respect people as human beings and treat each other with kindness.

Signed,
    a kid who went to the ER many times during my school years because the boys would beat me up

:clap:

EDIT: btw i'm applauding the first part not you being bullied
    Post edited by norm on
    RKCNDY wrote:

Signed,

:(
    it really is one of those problems without a solution though... like racism or sexism, it really gets at a serious flaw in the human condition that will not be solved... on some sort of subconscious evolutionary level there is fear and misunderstanding of anyone that is different from us... unless we can just interbreed and mutate into some sort of homogeneous, mix raced, transgendered species with identical body types there is always going to be hatred

it really is one of those problems without a solution though... like racism or sexism, it really gets at a serious flaw in the human condition that will not be solved... on some sort of subconscious evolutionary level there is fear and misunderstanding of anyone that is different from us... unless we can just interbreed and mutate into some sort of homogeneous, mix raced, transgendered species with identical body types there is always going to be hatred

bush-obama.jpg
    i don't wana look like this, i'll take the ass kicking.

but it's really just learned behavior...a baby born doesn't know from racism etc...bulling is somewhat different because i think there is bit of natural instincts to be the "alpha"...but that can be stopped with good parenting i think
    norm wrote:

but it's really just learned behavior...a baby born doesn't know from racism etc...bulling is somewhat different because i think there is bit of natural instincts to be the "alpha"...but that can be stopped with good parenting i think
    I agree.
    norm wrote:

+1 norm...I think prejudice, bullying, etc are all learned/conditioned behaviors. Every person is born into this world as an innocent and open mind. Whatever good or bad is put into this mind is what is produced into this person. Every person is capable of changing, they just have to want to change.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited March 2011
    but learned from where??

http://www.newsweek.com/2009/09/04/see- ... inate.html

this problem isn't as easy to solve as some make it out to be

we would have to police the dissemination of information for an entire generation... let these problems die off and hope they never come back

(EDIT: i should add that i'm not trying to get off topic with the racial stuff... just proving that people are inherently assholes... i guess that partly comes from my catholic background/original sin/etc. :lol: )
    Post edited by Kilgore_Trout on

• guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    norm wrote:

Good parenting and positive character education within schools. Kids can be taught integrity, empathy, sympathy, respect and tolerance. They do it in my kids school. They use "The Power of One" program which is aimed at anti-bullying. Kids sign a giant contract every year. All 500 kids, one piece of paper, posted in the hall.
    ok i'm not gonna read that whole thing :shock: :lol:

but
    How do researchers test a 6-month-old? They show babies photographs of faces. Katz found that babies will stare significantly longer at photographs of faces that are a different race from their parents, indicating they find the face out of the ordinary. Race itself has no ethnic meaning per se—but children's brains are noticing skin-color differences and trying to understand their meaning.

of course a baby will recognize differences from themselves...it's the meaning that society puts to those differences that is learned...much like bullying comes from a primal place in our dna, it's how a person express those instincts
    I skimmed thru the article...and just speaking from personal experience and observation:

When I was in pre-school, I had many friends, one was a boy, and he was black. He gave my one of his prized Hot Wheels cars because I was 'his best friend'. When I told my mother, she said, 'You stay away from all those black people! They are all bad!" :o :shock: :( I thought, "he's nice to me and wants to be my friend, why does that make him bad?" She kept making comments about black people and I suddenly lost a huge amount of trust in my own mother, and I decided to make opinions about people for myself.

I often wonder why some people believe certain things that have been proven to be another way. Are their minds wired differently so that they just see things one way, only believe one thing? Why can't they see all aspects of something even though they are shown all the possibilities?

I have seen kids bully the 'nerdy' kids and push them around, yet be so sweet and kind to the mentally/physically handicapped kids...why the discrimination? Because they think the 'nerdy' kids can handle it? The bullys are looked at as a coward only if they pick on certain groups of kids? It's all sad.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    All bullies are insecure jealous threatened pathetic people that ruin peoples lives.
    I've learned to be tougher, noone will bully me in the office!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Ibtl
    I'll be back