Got made redundant yesterday...

2»

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Sorry to hear about this for both of you.

A long time ago I worked for a company that went bust, it was horrible, suppliers turning up to take back their stock, having to tell customers that we were no longer trading. Fortunately all the staff were in the same boat.

It must be truly terrible when it's just you or a limited number of people.

Positive thoughts to both of you.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Sorry Guys, everything in this world seems to keep getting worse.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Very sorry to hear this, my advice, STAY POSITIVE. Don't let yourself define who you are by the job.

I've done it before and it's a downward path.

Best of luck to you.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Thank you to all for your kind words and support.
    Great place it is here.
    I even had a PM come through about a global company with an office in my city which I looked at.

It is still a shock, I cannot believe it.
    The worst part is this anxiety I have and the headache.
    Ran out of wine, that helps.

Those that survived, not many left in the office now, got given different mickey mouse jobs, they have a couple of days to accept or walk away.
    A poor guy who worked so hard over the last few years taking on more responsibilities got demoted into another mickey mouse role.
    I guess it is better to be let go then slapped in the face like that.

I feel for those with young families that were made redundant, especially because their wives are either injured and unable to work and soon to give birth.
    It could always be much worse I guess.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • very sorry to hear this Thoughts_Arrive and Black Diamond
    and anyone else who has been through this

good luck and best wishes, hope things work out and you guys find another job
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    guitar59 wrote:
    rafie wrote:
    Sorry for both of you. The world today is very wobbly as far as jobs go. I am lucky to be in a relatively stable field (teaching). I am sure that things will be better before you know it! Just stay positive :D

My local board is laying off upwards of 600 teachers this spring. The government cut class size funding, with larger classes you need less teachers. Glad teaching is stable in your area.

And to the OP... good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
    Classes here are already at around 40 students, so can't really get much bigger than that!
    Thank you to all for your kind words and support.
    Great place it is here.
    I even had a PM come through about a global company with an office in my city which I looked at.

It is still a shock, I cannot believe it.
    The worst part is this anxiety I have and the headache.
    Ran out of wine, that helps.

Those that survived, not many left in the office now, got given different mickey mouse jobs, they have a couple of days to accept or walk away.
    A poor guy who worked so hard over the last few years taking on more responsibilities got demoted into another mickey mouse role.
    I guess it is better to be let go then slapped in the face like that.

I feel for those with young families that were made redundant, especially because their wives are either injured and unable to work and soon to give birth.
    It could always be much worse I guess.

It will definitely take a while to get over the shock, but try as soon as possible to start looking for something new. Try to see it as an opportunity to fulfill some dream as far as a new occupation goes maybe...
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm very sorry to hear this...
    After 21 years(3 companies), I myself was let go fo the first time in my life yesterday as well...
    Just told my 10 year old... Should have been in work instead of bed now...

You didn't work for my company to did you lol?
    Sorry to hear that man.
    Damn guys... I'm sorry to hear of this, to the both of you.

Best of luck to you both. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    So sorry to hear this T_A and BD (and others who've also experienced this recently).

I hope you are both able to bounce back and find something soon. ((((Hugs & Good vibes))))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    DinghyDog wrote:
    I'm hoping to get made redundant myself, to have a good reason to go and try out other things.

Depends on how much you are set on your career, I'm pretty keen on changing already.

I want to get the payout cheque, not quit and lose out on that...
    You're not the first person I've heard say that.
    Here's hoping you're made redundant. :?
    edited November 2012
    -
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    My brother had to reapply for his job or take redundancy. He reapplied, succeeded and was one of 3 out of 12 that kept their jobs. He regrets it now and says he should have taken the redundancy and found something new.
    edited November 2012
    -
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Hate this for you TA and BD and . . . Well anybody else who's going through this shit. Some days I hate my job but I would hate any job. I hate getting up in the mornings. So then I remind myself to be thankful I have a job. Chin up sunshine, better days will come. I promise. But first you must weather the storm to appreciate them.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I'm so sorry to hear this :oops:

I got laid off three years ago from a job I was in for 4 years. I had been hoping for it though and the payout was pretty generous so I used the opportunity to move to England and start completely fresh. I also took a few months off and pretty much made the most of it.

Unfortunately you've got no other option but to turn it into a positive. Weigh up all your options, work on your cv NOW and get it out there to everyone! If you don't turn it into a positive it can be pretty heavy and depressing :cry: just don't go there!

See looking for a job AS your new full time job. Get out of bed in the morning, shower, dress and work on that cv. I spent hours on the computer every day and then hours out at interviews once I started getting called for them. Keep a bit of structure to your day.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    I'm so sorry to hear this :oops:

I got laid off three years ago from a job I was in for 4 years. I had been hoping for it though and the payout was pretty generous so I used the opportunity to move to England and start completely fresh. I also took a few months off and pretty much made the most of it.

Unfortunately you've got no other option but to turn it into a positive. Weigh up all your options, work on your cv NOW and get it out there to everyone! If you don't turn it into a positive it can be pretty heavy and depressing :cry: just don't go there!

See looking for a job AS your new full time job. Get out of bed in the morning, shower, dress and work on that cv. I spent hours on the computer every day and then hours out at interviews once I started getting called for them. Keep a bit of structure to your day.

Thanks.
    I am attending a course every day Mon-Fri this week.
    It is to prepare me for the job hunt to make sure I do it right to maximise my chances of landing an interview and job.
    As soon as I got home the day I was made redundant at noon I made calls, hit the ground running to keep me focused and as positive as I can feel.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Hate this for you TA and BD and . . . Well anybody else who's going through this shit. Some days I hate my job but I would hate any job. I hate getting up in the mornings. So then I remind myself to be thankful I have a job. Chin up sunshine, better days will come. I promise. But first you must weather the storm to appreciate them.

Thanks.
    Yeah that's me, hate it, could sleep in some mornings but I then think at least I have money rolling in.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Layoffs are truly the worst experience ever. The worst I've ever seen is that they had a manager layoff employees and when he was done, they laid him off. Real fucking bullshit right there.

Let's hope this opens up a better opportunity for you.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Sorry to hear about this, both for Thoughts and Mr. Diamond. I myself was laid off after department cutbacks two years ago. As another has said, I'm also in a much better place now myself. All will work itself out.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Thanks.
    I am attending a course every day Mon-Fri this week.
    It is to prepare me for the job hunt to make sure I do it right to maximise my chances of landing an interview and job.
    As soon as I got home the day I was made redundant at noon I made calls, hit the ground running to keep me focused and as positive as I can feel.
    That's the way to do it. For me, the worst was knowing that people are looking at me thinking I simply can't be bothered to find a job. That was pretty tough considering all the hours I was putting in... I was applying for everything, whether I wanted it or not. Don't be put off though if you can see the number of candidates who have applied for a job. I've had a couple of interviewers tell me that the VAST majority of those have zero experience and are often just applying to make it look like they're applying. One job I went for had 160 applicants I think but only 20 of those were actually suitable and I think that quickly got narrowed down to 8.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you