Advice to get your parents to let you go to another concert

ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey,

I went to go see Elton John at MSG on Sunday for the first time ever! He is one of my favorite artists of all time and he is amazing. He is playing in Philly Friday and I want to go badly. It's Elton's birthday and I need to convine my parents to let me go. I will buy the tickets. I just don't know how to tell them and I am afraid they won't let me go. Any advice?
Camden 2 (2008) 
Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
Newark (2010)
MSG 1 (2010)
Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
Philly 2 (2013)
Greenville (2016)
Columbia (2016)
MSG 2 (2016)
Fenway 2 (2016)
EV NJPAC (2022)
MSG (2022)
Denver (2022)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    Hey,

I went to go see Elton John at MSG on Sunday for the first time ever! He is one of my favorite artists of all time and he is amazing. He is playing in Philly Friday and I want to go badly. It's Elton's birthday and I need to convine my parents to let me go. I will buy the tickets. I just don't know how to tell them and I am afraid they won't let me go. Any advice?
    Buy them tickets too? Problem might be solved there
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    you sound like a responsible young person... i can remember those parental permission days

buy a bus ticket and go without them knowing

get into some trouble

:twisted:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    well let's start here...why do you think they wouldn't let you?
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    norm wrote:

its happened in many instances when i go to see concerts. i wanted to pearl jam for a 3rd time in a week...no

i wanted to see roger waters for a second time...no

idk i just feel they wont let me go because they think "once is enough". Who knows when Elton John will be back again. He may not. I really wanna go
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    norm wrote:

its happened in many instances when i go to see concerts. i wanted to pearl jam for a 3rd time in a week...no

idk i just feel they wont let me go because they think "once is enough". Who knows when Elton John will be back again. He may not. I really wanna go
    how much does sir elton really mix up his setlists though... is once enough? not to side with the parents :geek:

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    That's a tough one, my mom was always cool about letting me go to conerts, she knew what it meant to be that age.. SOOOOO either they except it or you think about what Kilgore_Trout said.. It's not bad advice, it's having some freaking fun while you can CAUSE YOUR YOUNG AND CAN STILL DO IT!! Most of us on here have been there and done that, so you are going to get mixed advice.. First and foremost talk to your folks, after that do what you gotta do.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    he mixes it up every once in a while like every 10 shows or so. I'm pretty sure he'll mix up the show on his birthday. plus it's elton john. My dad has to been like 5 elton john shows. he'll side w/ me i hope. it depends if hes up to go
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • happens to me too

a lot of
    "But haven't you already seen this band?"
    "Isn't once enough?"

It depends on how badly you want to go, and how forgiving your parents are :lol:

If they are like NO NO NO and being really strict about it, you could just lie I suppose, that would work if you don't mind lying to them

or

If they are like NO but not that bothered, or you can wear them down :lol: just tell them reasonably why you want to go so bad, what you'll do to "earn" it and how you'll pay for it yourself etc.etc.
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Shithawk !

Pearl Jam is a thing.. I mean, I would never miss their shows when they come over here.. Actually, Ive done many many many miles of hitchhiking to see them, slept outside, spend many dollars...

But not according your child to see Roger Waters for a second night? ( hopefully it was not Pink Floyd ! ) .. MY... GOD...!!!! ))): Which tour was it? DSOTM or The Wall ?

I spent 600$ for two tickets ( second ticket was for a gift ) to get good tickets for the show. I enjoyed every single moments of the show.

I wanted to see Elton John some years ago but never happened. Got few shows on DVD and, well, all his first albums. This guy did great songs.. great great songs. Well, let's not forget Bernie Taupin behind this.

too bad man..

Personally, the idea to invite them was not bad at all.
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    You have a great case. When you approach your parents try it from a problem solving point of view. "This is something I really want, how can we make this happen? What do I need to do?" or something like that. This always worked with my folks. And if your dad is a fan that is a big plus.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'd Lie
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Drive fast, take chances
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Easy. You start off talking about doing some hookers and hard drugs.. then you end saying you've thought it over and you'd rather see Elton John. Can I go Mom? How could she say no to that?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Easy. You start off talking about doing some hookers and hard drugs.. then you end saying you've thought it over and you'd rather see Elton John. Can I go Mom? How could she say no to that?

Who would rather see Elton John and do hookers and drugs though?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    norm wrote:

if you don't think they will check just tell them you are going to see someone else. or get a friend to go with you and tell them that your friend really wants to go but doesn't want to head into philly alone.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I would state your wholeee case in a reasonable fashion, and then, if they still don't let you go for no good reason, then, be a kid, and do it anyway. I was in your shoes not too long ago and guess what, they will eventually get over it. Even if you are a generally responsible person who does not really want to deceive them, you only get to be young once. Even if you do get caught, the lies will subside, you'll gain their trust back, and you will be left with a lot of great memories from the awesome concert you went to see, as well as a story to tell later.

I say do it. You've got no reason not to other than a simple, permissible "yes." Hell, drink underage and lie about your plans. Have some fun! :D
  • mom, dad, im sleeping at beckys tonight.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    Hey,

did you get all of your homework done??
    I would state your wholeee case in a reasonable fashion, and then, if they still don't let you go for no good reason, then, be a kid, and do it anyway. I was in your shoes not too long ago and guess what, they will eventually get over it. Even if you are a generally responsible person who does not really want to deceive them, you only get to be young once. Even if you do get caught, the lies will subside, you'll gain their trust back, and you will be left with a lot of great memories from the awesome concert you went to see, as well as a story to tell later.

I say do it. You've got no reason not to other than a simple, permissible "yes." Hell, drink underage and lie about your plans. Have some fun! :D
    theres something hilarious about rebelliously seeing elton john against your parents wishes

i just feel like that should be reserved for dangerous metal/punk shows :D

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I'd Lie

That works too. :lol:
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    When I was 15, my mom would used to cover for me because she knew my dad would worry if I went to concerts. She was a great enabler when it came to sneaking around!

I remember riding my BMX bike to the bus stop, taking the bus to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (all they great bands played there back then), see the show, and take the bus/bike home. I was always worried that my dad would be awake waiting for me, but it USUALLY never happened!

My most drastic sneak occured way back in the 80s when Iron Maiden was on their first U.S. tour. A few friends and I drove 60 miles to see them in San Bernadino. Once the show ended, we went to the local Dennys, and by the time we got back to L.A., it was around 2am. I had told my parents that I was staying over at a friend's house. When I got dropped-off at 2am, I came up with the bright idea of sleeping in my mom's 1976 AMC Pacer (coolest car ever!). It wasn't too comfortable, so at around 5am, I went into the house, and later that morning, I simply told my parents that my friend's dad decided to take his son fishing, so they dropped me off at home at 5am.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,702
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I came up with the bright idea of sleeping in my mom's 1976 AMC Pacer (coolest car ever!). It wasn't too comfortable.
    C'mon the Pacer was the "wide body" how could it not be comfortable?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Just go to the concert without them knowing and when they bust you just tell them you are minding it for a friend.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    How'd this turn out?