Options

I love Soundgarden, however...

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited March 2011 in The Porch
The new live disc really tells alot about energy and perfomances. The PJ experince is unparalelled. SG sound pretty good...but the intensity is missing. This just further cements in my mind how amazing PJ live shows really are. Just saying. :)
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    I love Soundgarden too, but love Pearl Jam about 100 times more.

and I agree, I don't think Soundgarden have near the energy and dynamics live that Pearl Jam has. I wish Matt would not mess around with an over the hill Soundgarden, and that Eddie would make quick work of the solo thing, so the still very vital Pearl Jam can get together and record a new album and play some more live shows for us. It's not too much to ask, is it?
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    In my mind, SG has never been a great live band. Great studio band, some great music, but I never thought it translated to the stage very well.
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    Get_Right wrote:
    In my mind, SG has never been a great live band. Great studio band, some great music, but I never thought it translated to the stage very well.

There was an almost dangerous edge to their live shows in the Louder Than Love era, a lot of hunger and all that, but that was a long time ago. I think it's amazing how much energy Pearl Jam has after 20 years, most bands who last that long usually end up losing that hunger, but I don't think PJ have yet. I mean, they don't play live as often as they used to, but when they DO take the stage, watch out...
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    Get_Right wrote:

I would agree with this, but there was something special about their live shows. It's different than PJ. there's a dark aura in the room when they play, but Cornell was not strong live back then.

I'm loving I-5.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    jwagner wrote:

and I agree, I don't think Soundgarden have near the energy and dynamics live that Pearl Jam has. I wish Matt would not mess around with an over the hill Soundgarden, and that Eddie would make quick work of the solo thing, so the still very vital Pearl Jam can get together and record a new album and play some more live shows for us. It's not too much to ask, is it?
    Hate to say this about SG, but yeah, I wish Matt wasn't messing with them anymore. they may surprise us with a decent new cd though...guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    Get_Right wrote:

I would agree with this, but there was something special about their live shows. It's different than PJ. there's a dark aura in the room when they play, but Cornell was not strong live back then.

I'm loving I-5.

still waiting for my stinking vinyl!!
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    jwagner wrote:

Hate to say this about SG, but yeah, I wish Matt wasn't messing with them anymore. they may surprise us with a decent new cd though...guess we'll have to wait and see.
    the chance of a good new SG album far surpasses the chance of good PJ... look at PJ's past 2 albums :|

SG has 15 years of pent up tunes waiting to bust and chris' voice sounds about as good as it has in a LONG time

they seem to be going into the recording process with the right attitude too rather than treating it like a chore

SG and PJ live are apples and oranges IMO... SG admittedly looked a little lackluster at the vic show though
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    jwagner wrote:

Option 1 - Matt joins S.G. to record a new album

Option 2 - Matt sits at home all summer while Ed tours to support a uke album
  • Options
    jwagner wrote:

the chance of a good new SG album far surpasses the chance of good PJ... look at PJ's past 2 albums :|

SG has 15 years of pent up tunes waiting to bust and chris' voice sounds about as good as it has in a LONG time

they seem to be going into the recording process with the right attitude too rather than treating it like a chore

SG and PJ live are apples and oranges IMO... SG admittedly looked a little lackluster at the vic show though

I disagree about PJ's last 2 albums. They are both great. To each their own though.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    jwagner wrote:

Option 1 - Matt joins S.G. to record a new album

Option 2 - Matt sits at home all summer while Ed tours to support a uke album

It's not just Matt... I wsh Ed was in the studio with PJ and not making a solo record. like I said...have to wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Are you mad? WTF you been listening to.

Soundgarden live is just as good, especially Badmotorfinger era. Chris' vocals wern't too good in 96 and are reflected on the CD but the replacement screeching is just as emotionally awesome.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    The energy of the shows on that '96 tour reflect where each member of that band was at at that time....Not wanting to be in Soundgarden anymore.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

Soundgarden live is just as good, especially Badmotorfinger era. Chris' vocals wern't too good in 96 and are reflected on the CD but the replacement screeching is just as emotionally awesome.
    Sorry...it's just how I feel. Take "Let Me Drown" for example. compare the vocals in that song on the live disc to the Superunknown version and for me, it's like night and day.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Brisk. wrote:

Sorry...it's just how I feel. Take "Let Me Drown" for example. compare the vocals in that song on the live disc to the Superunknown version and for me, it's like night and day.
    Its not just the vocals. The dynamics of the studio recordings are lost in the live shows IMHO.
    SG live is almost like a metal band. Its the energy and the visceral response to the hard rock. And that has its place. It is not about the sound or the idiosyncrasies of the recordings, its just balls out rock. Unfortunately, that mostly leads to a muffled, monotonous sound and pounding beats. Some like it some don't.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Brisk. wrote:

it's night and day cause cornells vocals were shit during that time period and studio you can do alot more with getting vocals to sound perfect.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    The new live disc really tells alot about energy and perfomances. The PJ experince is unparalelled. SG sound pretty good...but the intensity is missing. This just further cements in my mind how amazing PJ live shows really are. Just saying. :)
    how can you compare a band that hasn't toured in 15 years to a band that's toured since 91? that just doesn't seem logical. i have both the vic show and showbox show and cornell sounds like cornell and matt sounds like the matt of sg old
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    The energy of the shows on that '96 tour reflect where each member of that band was at at that time....Not wanting to be in Soundgarden anymore.
    I was reading through to see what other people were saying, and i agree with you, having seen soundgarden quite a few times in there day, to start with it was an amazing live experience, but by 1996 it was a band going through the motions. which was unfortunate.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    ......Why would Soundgarden finally release a live album comprised of songs from a '96 tour if that was the time period when Cornell's vocals were in the worst shape? Why would they choose this tour to represent the live sound of the band if it was the one where they were just "going through the motions" ?

I'm gonna have to disagree with most of the things being said by others here.
  • Options
    RuebRueb Posts: 59
    edited March 2011
    ......Why would Soundgarden finally release a live album comprised of songs from a '96 tour if that was the time period when Cornell's vocals were in the worst shape? Why would they choose this tour to represent the live sound of the band if it was the one where they were just "going through the motions" ?

That is easy to answer: this is the only tour they professionally recorded. They brought Adam Kaspar on the road. So there wasn't much choice in hindsight - they simply didn't have another tour recorded to release.
    Post edited by Rueb on
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139

I'm gonna have to disagree with most of the things being said by others here.

Well i hope you are right. because why would they release from that tour. I only said what i said through experience, But i'm sure the whole tour was not "through" the motions, plus they prob.. also chose this tour to get more albums worth of songs to represent the band.
    You know what, i'll get around to buying it, and it'll be a fantastic album.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    I never saw Soundgarden live but I think Live on I-5 sounds good and probably what I would expect from them if I had seen them live. I have seen Audioslave and I think Chris sounded much better on Live on I-5.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    metsfan wrote:
    i have both the vic show and showbox show and cornell sounds like cornell and matt sounds like the matt of sg old

I have the Vic show and Cornell is not on par with the recordings. If by Cornell he sounds like Cornell right now, and not Cornell from Badmotorfinger and Superunknown then I would agree with you. Listening to Fell on Black Days right now and he's struggling with the higher notes. He is a lot closer to Audioslave Chris Cornell than he is Soundgarden Chris Cornell.

Matt Cameron is in fact playing the shit out of Jesus Christ Pose though, but I wouldn't expect anything less from him.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    RuebRueb Posts: 59
    Kraven wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    i have both the vic show and showbox show and cornell sounds like cornell and matt sounds like the matt of sg old

I have the Vic show and Cornell is not on par with the recordings. If by Cornell he sounds like Cornell right now, and not Cornell from Badmotorfinger and Superunknown then I would agree with you. Listening to Fell on Black Days right now and he's struggling with the higher notes. He is a lot closer to Audioslave Chris Cornell than he is Soundgarden Chris Cornell.

He sounds infinitely better on Fell On Black Days during his solo-acoustic performance this month in Austin. Listen to those high notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf9YjOipX9k

Still waiting for my Live on I-5, so can't really argue about it.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Rueb wrote:

Holy good god, consider me converted
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    [/quote]

He sounds infinitely better on Fell On Black Days during his solo-acoustic performance this month in Austin. Listen to those high notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf9YjOipX9k

Still waiting for my Live on I-5, so can't really argue about it.[/quote]

I must say that was pretty impressive.
  • Options
    Lukin19Lukin19 We The North Posts: 505
    Get_Right wrote:
    Exactly what I've been saying all along. They rocked back in the day , but there has been a drastic deteriation in Cornell's voice live . I really noticed it back in '97 at Lola. When I saw him again in '05 with Audioslave it was almost unbearable. I've heard bar bands cover Soundgarden better that they did. The guys from rage were the only thing that kept me there.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    I like them too but I like PJ more. I hope Soundgarden doesn't become a distraction which delays a new PJ album.

I'm hot and cold about all of these other projects. Brad, Tres Mtns, Soundgarden, even Ed solo. On one side of it, one could say this is all healthy stuff, etc. On the other side of it, one could look at it and say that maybe they've lost some interest. Maybe like a married man looking at other women because something is missing. I hope the latter isn't the case. For example, the analog shirt. With confirmed artists in the band, even my wife, who isn't interested in PJ other than some of the music, commented on the plain-ness of the shirt and stuck it in the drawer with my fishing shirts. I wonder if that is reflective of the spark. Hope not. I would love a new PJ album. Even before a tour.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    edited March 2011
    Rueb wrote:

That is easy to answer: this is the only tour they professionally recorded. They brought Adam Kaspar on the road. So there wasn't much choice in hindsight - they simply didn't have another tour recorded to release.

You may be right about that, it may be the only complete tour they recorded but are you telling me there aren't other live versions of songs here and there from various shows/tours anywhere? I'd be hard pressed to believe that. In fact, I'm almost certain there are, and with today's technology, surely they could have remixed/remastered/whatever and released something perhaps different.

Plus, there's a whole foreward written by Kaspar in the I5 liner notes about how there was a great energy on that tour and how it was incredible and awesome. Now who am I gonna believe? Adam Kaspar, who has worked directly with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and recorded albums and tours and actually gone on tours with the band or some random person I don't know (no offense) on a message board? It's not even close.
    Post edited by Music For Rhinos on
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    From http://www.soundgardenworld.com/news/20 ... ake-record

Our goal for 2011 - Let's Make A Record

Over the past few months, we've been busy jamming, writing and hanging out together - exploring the creative aspect of being Soundgarden. It feels great. We have some cool new songs that we are going to record very soon. Thank you for all of the support!

Loudest of Love,

Ben, Chris , Kim and Matt

That's the studio PJ are recording in. What's it called and is that a new photo. Insa the following nme quote it says that they are recording in Chris Cornell's home studio in Seattle.

http://www.nme.com/news/soundgarden/55691

and a last one:
    http://www.nme.com/news/soundgarden/55297

I think it's nice to see soundgarden working together again and also nice to see Matt with them. And while Matt is in the studio with SG the other pj-members have time to write new pj songs. Then they can record in the fall 2011/winter 2011/2012...
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012