Options

I went to 8 EV solo shows in Cali, 1 is more than enough

pulaskipulaski Posts: 259
edited July 2008 in The Porch
i wish i hadnt spent all that money and time to see the same show every night. that the beauty of PJ, but EV is a different story. Dont get me wrong it was a great show, but 1 is all you need to see to see it all.

just my 2 cents
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    This coming from the person that started a thread about how much the Hartford show was going to suck...:rolleyes:
    :p
    You know how we have the Boston Puker?
    You should be the Hartford something-or-other. :)
    jk
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    you could have stopped going after the 3rd :D

I say 3, just to give you an opportunity to realize they were all pretty much the same:)
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    This coming from the person that started a thread about how much the Hartford show was going to suck...:rolleyes:
    jk

yes, and had i posted my prediction in 1996, 1998, and 2006, i woulda been totally accurate. they were out to prove me wrong this year.

history told me one thing. PJ changed history. good for them for renewing my faith in mankind
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    So you get to see 8 but you tell us to go 1?

Fuck that.
  • Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    So you get to see 8 but you tell us to go 1?

Fuck that.

im telling u that seeing 8 was a regret. after the 2nd show, i knew i was in for a long week. seeing that the first 2 were almost identical. if you wanna go see all 14 feel free, but im letting u know now, that you know what your in for.

im gonna go see one show here on the east coast tour, just to see if he changed it from the west coast, but then after that, im gonna save my money for when the band announces more dates
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I saw the Bay Area trifecta and each was different enough and I had a blast. It was all music I wanted to hear over and over again anyways, music that let me ... let go for awhile, and again from different places in the theaters, different experiences before/during/after, different crowds, different folks around me each night (well, more or less, the lady who's view I block in SC, so yeah, she sits right behind me again in Berkeley!)

Santa Cruz on a Saturday Night was simply a full and complete wonderful day. Special song just for us that night! Ed was really mellow and silly and played the "basic set" more or less (w/ the Santa Cruz song noted). If your phone rings, you must let Ed answer it, wanker.

Berkeley on a Monday Night was ... wierd. The Drum Circle had gotten to Ed all day, his banter was inane, not silly, not too "personal" just a lotta political and movie biz talk. Parting Ways was a special treat, Hail to the State ... was not.

Berkely on Tuesday Night was ... a mind melter. McCready, Sean Penn Roast, lots of personal tales from him, talking about his daughter, upset with the crowd from the night before, edgy, and lost during the second song... "Where are we? I just kinda left the building! I was where I was when I wrote the song... (Around the Bend)." Driving away the Young Republicans with Masters of War...

And as I wrote up in a Bekeley thread -- there's a certain release that can be obtained by listening to him live, listening to these songs. I'm not sure I can ever get enough of that.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=281137&page=2&highlight=island

And yeah, just to add - Liam mixed it up each night as well, different tags, different versions. Different craziness. He was awesome to see three times!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    pulaski wrote:
    history told me one thing. PJ changed history. good for them for renewing my faith in mankind

:)
    what a show this year, absolutely!

as to the thread topic, i honestly agree. i haven't seen ed live, but i've read a lot about his shows and think about the same. also would be good to allow more 10clubbers to get tix, etc, especially since you can buy 4! truth be told though, if i could even consdier both NYC shows, i'd be there...b/c ed 2 nights in my city, just too irresistable. however, i have tix to see the police on monday so must hope upon hope i score for night 2. i WISH NYC tix went on sale first, b/c i may try for boston just b/c i am terrified of being shut out of NYC. i am trying to simply think what will be will be...b/c i definitely think hubby is a no-go for any travel - was fantasizing about montreal :p - so it would HAVE to be boston and/or NYC....b/c i could do either on my own, with freinds, and he'd be OK. maybe DC? but i really don't want to go back down there.....:D ugh, decisions, decisions....

sorry for rambling.......:o
    anyhoo, i do agree 1, maybe 2 shows is plenty of love! seems he's doing a few 2 nighters around here, so would be great to keep it small/local...save on travel and overall expense, allow more locals to get 10c tix...and yes, i am simply dreaming b/c no matter what, tough tix to score!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    MathataMathata Posts: 41
    You have sold the tickets to someone who cares and loves them enough to see 8 shows without complaining - shut up already about seeing 8! You are bragging and we are jealous!
    Mathata

How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    TrixieCat wrote:
    jk
    Hartford Nostradamus.

:D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Hartford Nostradamus.

:D

LOL

well i predict that 95% of everything you see in the EV solo tour will be repeated from night to night. i also predict that the pats will win the superbowl this year and the giants wont make the playoffs. write these down!
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    I would go to more than 1 just to see if Ed changes his clothing.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    acutejam wrote:
    I saw the Bay Area trifecta and each was different enough and I had a blast. It was all music I wanted to hear over and over again anyways, music that let me ... let go for awhile, and again from different places in the theaters, different experiences before/during/after, different crowds, different folks around me each night (well, more or less, the lady who's view I block in SC, so yeah, she sits right behind me again in Berkeley!)

Santa Cruz on a Saturday Night was simply a full and complete wonderful day. Special song just for us that night! Ed was really mellow and silly and played the "basic set" more or less (w/ the Santa Cruz song noted). If your phone rings, you must let Ed answer it, wanker.

Berkeley on a Monday Night was ... wierd. The Drum Circle had gotten to Ed all day, his banter was inane, not silly, not too "personal" just a lotta political and movie biz talk. Parting Ways was a special treat, Hail to the State ... was not.

Berkely on Tuesday Night was ... a mind melter. McCready, Sean Penn Roast, lots of personal tales from him, talking about his daughter, upset with the crowd from the night before, edgy, and lost during the second song... "Where are we? I just kinda left the building! I was where I was when I wrote the song... (Around the Bend)." Driving away the Young Republicans with Masters of War...

And as I wrote up in a Bekeley thread -- there's a certain release that can be obtained by listening to him live, listening to these songs. I'm not sure I can ever get enough of that.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=281137&page=2&highlight=island

And yeah, just to add - Liam mixed it up each night as well, different tags, different versions. Different craziness. He was awesome to see three times!

great post ... I didn't go to Santa Cruz ... but, the 2 Berkeleys were different enough that indeed, I'd suggest (again) go to multiple shows that are local .. but no need to travel.

Berkeley 2 ... mind melter ... indeed.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Thanks for the advice, but quite frankly I can make my own decisions. I saw the set lists, and I know what I would be in for if I went to all of the shows. I'm hopefully going to be going to both Montreal shows, and that's it. As it's really all my bank account allows. ;) haha
  • Options
    MathataMathata Posts: 41
    White Pants rule!
    Mathata

How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Mathata wrote:
    White Pants rule!
    UGH!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    after to going a few of these on the west coast leg... I kind of agree...
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    One (Vancouver last time) was plenty for me as well. Ed solo is a very different beast than PJ.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i am wearing white pants to support my boy!
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the 2 NYC shows....
    maybe 3 nights with Ed is going to be alot...

shit..... I need to think about this over the weekend with a few vodka tonics.....

what if the NJ show is really good and i didnt go cause I read something on the pit.... shit... I hate this!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    pulaski wrote:
    i wish i hadnt spent all that money and time to see the same show every night. that the beauty of PJ, but EV is a different story. Dont get me wrong it was a great show, but 1 is all you need to see to see it all.

just my 2 cents
    How in the HELL did you manage that??? I got shut out in 10c presale, TM presale and TM general sale. :( Had to bite the bullet and do Stubhub just to get to one show.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    Yeah, I'll probably just catch the first night in DC. I'd think there would be to many repeats to warrant buying tickets to both.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the 2 NYC shows....
    maybe 3 nights with Ed is going to be alot...

shit..... I need to think about this over the weekend with a few vodka tonics.....

what if the NJ show is really good and i didnt go cause I read something on the pit.... shit... I hate this!

the evils of the internet!
    we can now know in almost real-time exactly what songs are getting played at a gig, share stories of show experiences, etc...and just makes the rabid fan that much more rabid.

i just need a ticket to night 2 in NYC! all i can do w/o travel soooooo please i hope i am lucky! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Im only going to one of them. I dont know how varied EV's setlists can be considering there are only 11 songs from ITW and the only PJ songs he would play are small town, soon forget, thumbing, lukin acoustic, and maybe a few other soft ones.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Why doesn't he ever play Olympic Platinum.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    my2hands wrote:
    i am wearing white pants to support my boy!
    Maybe he will bust out some old skool jams. lol
    edit...by jams I mean the surfer shorts.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,931
    share wrote:
    Why doesn't he ever play Olympic Platinum.

or Bugs for that matter :(
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    imalive wrote:
    How in the HELL did you manage that??? I got shut out in 10c presale, TM presale and TM general sale. :( Had to bite the bullet and do Stubhub just to get to one show.

your post says it all...it will a tough ticket to acquire considering 1) he is playing theatres of say 2,500 people plus/minus not 20,000 seaters with unlimited 10club member access, 2) He is coming off a great tour that left most everyone who attended wanting more and 3) 10club tickets are limited to less than in 1) above.

Good luck everyone and to everyone who is fortunate to get a ticket, enjoy the show! From reviews of the west coast swing it sounds like it will be great (1 show or 8 shows).

Cheers!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I agree with the OP. I saw both LA EV solo shows and that was plenty.

In fact if I had only seen one I would have been just about as content in retrospect.

1 is enough. Two is plenty, and three is stretching it. IMO. Especially for the budget conscious.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

i got some on 10C sale, some on TM...and then paid through the nose to get the others....and it wasnt really worth it....so thats why i say 1 show is all u need.

im still struggling to pay off my debt, just so i can get back to a point, so i can say im at least just broke
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    this is why we want more pj dates announced!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08