Florida school parents - WTF!

pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,310
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Some public school parents in Edgewater, Florida, want a first-grade girl with life-threatening peanut allergies removed from the classroom and home-schooled, rather than deal with special rules to protect her health, a school official said.

"That was one of the suggestions that kept coming forward from parents, to have her home-schooled. But we're required by federal law to provide accommodations. That's just not even an option for us," said Nancy Wait, spokeswoman for the Volusia County School District.

Wait said the 6-year-old's peanut allergy is so severe it is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

To protect the girl, students in her class at Edgewater Elementary School are required to wash their hands before entering the classroom in the morning and after lunch, and rinse out their mouths, Wait said, and a peanut-sniffing dog checked out the school during last week's spring break.

Wait said school leaders will meet this week with parents to address concerns and try to halt inaccurate rumors that children's mouths were being wiped with disinfectant.

Chris Burr, a father of two older students at the school whose wife has protested at the campus, said a lot of small accommodations have added up to frustration for many parents.

"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Meanwhile in Japan...no food, water, radiation and I bet my goddamn life the Japanese would gladly be put out for the sake of a child...

FU Mr. and Mrs Burr!
If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    the peanut allergy thing is really getting out of control... i can't believe how many kids have that these days

we have a separate table in the lunchroom where i teach

seems like human immune systems are getting weaker and weaker :?

obviously the student has every right to attend school like everyone else... those parents are assholes
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I graduated high school 11 years ago and I never heard of a peanut allergy when I was in school. Now the same high school has a ban on peanut butter and no peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. WTF!?!? Something is wrong here. There is no way that in the span of a decade, all of a sudden, there is a mass outbreak of peanut allergies. What has changed so much between humans and peanuts in the last 10 years that requires schools to ban all peanut products?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm allergic to peanuts although not severely. I love them so I treat myself every now and then despite the tingling sensation I get in my mouth..

Now seafood is what I'm really allergic to. If I even touch sushi, I get welts. If I try to eat it, I risk not being able to breathe.

It has nothing to do with your immune system. I haven't had the flu in 6 years, and only once in the past 10 years. I think I get a cold once every two years.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    It has nothing to do with your immune system. I haven't had the flu in 6 years, and only once in the past 10 years. I think I get a cold once every two years.
    you're right... wrong wording

sorry to hear you can't enjoy seafood
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    obviously the student has every right to attend school like everyone else... those parents are assholes
    +1
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i have to say that this kinda shit annoys me... like when you are on a plane and the announcement comes over the tannoy saying "we will not be serving peanuts today as one of our passengers has a severe nut allergy"

how severe? By opening a packet of nuts can the fumes waft up a fucking plane and kill them? if so then make them wear the wee oxygen mask thing that comes down during turbulence.. 360 people on a plane and 1 person is allergic to nuts? so we all can't eat them? I'm allergic to idiots but they let them in at concerts i go to.

back in the 80s I never knew anyone to die of peanuts... at school we probably ate them by the truckload without anyone dying.

My wife is highly allergic to dogs... yet my next door neighbour has a dog. I'm going to go home tonight and shoot it.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    A number of schools here are 'peanut' free. These are mainly primary schools where some of the children a a bit too young to take full reponsibility for their food. Naturally, the parents can teach the child not to accept anything from anyone but how can a kid not be tempted by a lil' something that doesn't seem to have 'proper' peanuts in it but may have some deriative? There is also the physical contact aspect.

My daughter has a friend who is highly allergic - she went into shock when a girl next to her who had eaten a Snickers (chocolate bar with peanuts) coughed (and not even in her face). If someone touched peanuts and then touched her, she breaks out in welts. She also has other allergies.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I agree these food allergies have gotten out of control and I have no idea how its gotten so bad.

my son is in 3rd grade - and at every "party" such as

- halloween, or BIRTHDAY - NO FOOD OF ANY KIND !!!!

Us parents can only send in -non food items - such as pencils, stickers, erasers etc to celebrate :roll:

out of 350 kids about 25 kids have peanut allergies and because of that - no food of any kind.

My son as severe "seasonal" allergies - maybe his school should do a better job and cater to his allergies by doing a hell of a better job in cleaning and purifying the air in the building....talk about stale air....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,259
    dunkman wrote:
    i have to say that this kinda shit annoys me... like when you are on a plane and the announcement comes over the tannoy saying "we will not be serving peanuts today as one of our passengers has a severe nut allergy"

how severe? By opening a packet of nuts can the fumes waft up a fucking plane and kill them? if so then make them wear the wee oxygen mask thing that comes down during turbulence.. 360 people on a plane and 1 person is allergic to nuts? so we all can't eat them? I'm allergic to idiots but they let them in at concerts i go to.

back in the 80s I never knew anyone to die of peanuts... at school we probably ate them by the truckload without anyone dying.

My wife is highly allergic to dogs... yet my next door neighbour has a dog. I'm going to go home tonight and shoot it.

Ok so you guys also invented overhead speakers :lol::lol: tannoy you said tannoy :lol::lol: Damm you guys are good :P
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My sister has a SEVERE peanut allergy and let me tell you, IT IS NO JOKE. I watched her almost die in front of me one day. The doctors said she would have been dead with a half hour had we not got her to the hospital when we did.

I myself have an egg allergy. I do what I have to do avoid egg products.

I’m glad this little girl is protected by the law.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    My sister has a SEVERE peanut allergy and let me tell you, IT IS NO JOKE. I watched her almost die in front of me one day. The doctors said she would have been dead with a half hour had we not got her to the hospital when we did.

I myself have an egg allergy. I do what I have to do avoid egg products.

I’m glad this little girl is protected by the law.

great friends of mine daughter has severe allergies including peanuts. these people complaining against this have absolutely no clue how bad and how serious this is. it can kill you for sure. with peanuts often just the smell in the air can casue serious problems. this same girl i know was severely allergic to dairy products as a child and i have seen her have reactions from using a glass that someone else used before even after the glass was washed. she has been rushed to the hospital at least 5 times in her life with breathing difficulties because of her allergies. everything she eats has to be checked for ingredients because of it. it's not just an allergic reaction, it can actually kill. when she was a kid i would have to buy separate and different halloween candy for her because she couldn't have most of it. thankfully as she gets a bit older a lot of the severe allergies she is growing out of but still has to be very careful. this is truly a serious situation and these parents, and even some on here, need to educate themselves before making comments.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i believe it's related to the Genetically Modified Foods ... one of the more common items that are GMO are Soya Beans ... there are studies that indicate that women who consumed soya milk during pregnancy had a higher incident of kids with peanut allergies ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    i believe it's related to the Genetically Modified Foods ... one of the more common items that are GMO are Soya Beans ... there are studies that indicate that women who consumed soya milk during pregnancy had a higher incident of kids with peanut allergies ...

+1

GMO's are on the rise, and DO NOT have to be labeled as such. I think there is a direct correlation to how our food is modified to the steep increase in food allergies.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    polaris_x wrote:

+1

GMO's are on the rise, and DO NOT have to be labeled as such. I think there is a direct correlation to how our food is modified to the steep increase in food allergies.

I have always wondered why 'suddenly' everybody seems to be severly allergic to nut products. In elementary school, 2 kids in my class had severe allergies. One kid was allergic to sugar so he had to go to the nurse's office to eat lunch, or whenever we had class parties. The other kid was a friend of mine, she wanted to be a part of the class so she stayed and 'suffered thrrough' her allergies. I remember her coming over to my house and eating chocolates without a care until she ate one with nuts in it. I had to call her dad to come over to bring her medication, her dad was very :evil: he had to come over...(more at her since he knew she kept trying to push the limits).
    I hope we can find a way to accomodate everybody in some way or another in public areas.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've never met an anti nut person in all my life.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    so stay home and stay alive...and you wont have 5 near death experiences because of other people